Kia EV6 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Firstly I'm based in the UK and my car is now due 8th December (delivery pulled forward from March 22 - GT Line S AWD White - woohoo) so I am considering the options re paint protection and would welcome comments. The dealer has so far not offered anything but I understand from other posts that they may offer a Ceramic coat of some sorts and Cosmetic insurance (your experience of the price and merits or otherwise of these would be good as how does the latter fit with standard insurance). I also have a local company that can do a partial or full wrap in Stek Dynoshield which is hygroscopic, self healing, etc, etc has a 10 year guarantee but is likely to cost in the region of £5-6k for whole car. Your thoughts/experience?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Firstly I'm based in the UK and my car is now due 8th December (delivery pulled forward from March 22 - GT Line S AWD White - woohoo) so I am considering the options re paint protection and would welcome comments. The dealer has so far not offered anything but I understand from other posts that they may offer a Ceramic coat of some sorts and Cosmetic insurance (your experience of the price and merits or otherwise of these would be good as how does the latter fit with standard insurance). I also have a local company that can do a partial or full wrap in Stek Dynoshield which is hygroscopic, self healing, etc, etc has a 10 year guarantee but is likely to cost in the region of £5-6k for whole car. Your thoughts/experience?
I've had our EV6 a week now and will be washing it tomorrow and have some Autoglym ceramic spray which i'll be adding at the same time. This is about as far as I'm prepared to go on a car that will be going back within the next three years.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi, as stated above I wouldn't bother unless you plan on keeping the car for more than 3 years. I use the Autoglym ceramic spray which works a treat. Great news on the pull forward of your car...Out of interest, when did you order your car ?

·
Super Moderator
51 Posts
As others, if your going to keep the car long term then go for a Gardx protection at around 400 pounds or you can get ceramic done at around 600 pounds.

As mentioned also when did you place your order?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ordered 26th September, told at the time January build for March delivery then visit to dealer the other day he showed me the screen with my order on and delivery 8th December. I assume I am receiving the order placed and cancelled by someone else - an advantage for me and them of the Kia limited order options system.

·
Super Moderator
51 Posts
Ordered 26th September, told at the time January build for March delivery then visit to dealer the other day he showed me the screen with my order on and delivery 8th December. I assume I am receiving the order placed and cancelled by someone else - an advantage for me and them of the Kia limited order options system.
Wow, i placed mine months before yours and still do not have a date.

·
Registered
2016 Ford Edge Ti
48 Posts
At this point I am more interested in the "Quality" of the paint than the protection of it. That being said, can you owners go over the exterior and see how your new car looks up close and personal? I have seen what looks to be a fair amount of orange peel on ev6 videos and wondered just how much is actually there? Some owners have commented that the paint on their new EV6 seemed to be "soft", how about that comment?

·
Super Moderator
51 Posts
At this point I am more interested in the "Quality" of the paint than the protection of it. That being said, can you owners go over the exterior and see how your new car looks up close and personal? I have seen what looks to be a fair amount of orange peel on ev6 videos and wondered just how much is actually there? Some owners have commented that the paint on their new EV6 seemed to be "soft", how about that comment?
The car I took out for a test drive did have a lot of Orange Peel look to the paint work, many years ago this would have never been acceptable but with the paint now being water based it seems to be visible then before.

I noticed it many years ago at a trade show and was told by a then expert that its due to the paint being thinner then it was before.

If you look up the reasons it says,
Orange peel is typically the result of improper painting technique, and is caused by the quick evaporation of thinner, incorrect spray gun setup (e.g., low air pressure or incorrect nozzle), spraying the paint at an angle other than perpendicular, or applying excessive paint.

Lets hope the paint is not soft as the technic to remove this will be an issue if the paint is soft as any paint correction experts will not want to touch the car as the process could be an issue.

It’s important you know how to fix the problem. Because sanding the surface of a vehicle is a precarious task, it’s best to start with less invasive measures first, before working up to sanding.
Start with a compounding polish to see if you can remove or minimize the effect. If polishing doesn’t work, the next step is to use extremely fine grained sandpaper, like a 3000 grit, and wet sand the area. In order to prevent damage, press lightly and refrain from sanding too vigorously. If the fine sandpaper isn’t working, slowly work your way down in grit until it starts smoothing out the bumpy surface of the paint. After you’re finished sanding away the orange peel effect, make sure you polish the area so the paint job looks shiny and new again.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts