Kia EV6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Kia EV6 Wind AWD (Glacier/Grey)
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up by Glacier White EV6 Wind AWD this Tuesday, May 3. A couple of thoughts

1) The glacier white color is little too creamy for my taste. There are many other EV6 colors that are better looking than glacier white. If possible, compare the colors on the cars at a dealership.
2) I still bought it because I wanted a grey interior. The grey interior is more white than grey. The light color makes the car look very roomy.
3) Kia Access and related features are not available in Massachusetts. So, functions such as remote start and remote monitoring are not working. This is a result of an ongoing litigation between Kia and the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, related to the "right to repair' law here.
4) Universally, Chargepoint chargers are slower than advertised.
5) The quotes I am getting for home charger installation are about $1600 for outlet installation and $700 for a Chargepoint charger. I am going to wait to see if I can survive by charging at parking lots at free chargers.
6) The local Panera has a free ChargePoint type 2 charger next to it. Panera also has a subscription plan for $10.99 per month that gives unlimited coffee and soft drinks. If if everything goes according to plan, my monthly charging cost will be $10.99. :). Snowy winter days may be a problem. In a pinch, I may try the trickle charger that comes with our plug-in Prius.

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Hood

Attachments

·
Registered
246 Posts
Congrats on the new ride! I had the opposite reaction to Glacier as you did. I didn't like it in pictures but when I saw it in person I thought it looked really good. Unfortunately I really wanted the GTL and Glacier was only available as a First Edition for GTL so I wound up going with red.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Congrats on the new ride! I had the opposite reaction to Glacier as you did. I didn't like it in pictures but when I saw it in person I thought it looked really good. Unfortunately I really wanted the GTL and Glacier was only available as a First Edition for GTL so I wound up going with red.
The red is a stunner! I looked at GT, but I couldn't get over the two-tone seats.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Congrats, I'm in MA too, considering purchasing one and have been talking to dealers, so far not finding one willing to see a GT-Line at sticker and there's not many available unless you want that Matte Steel Gray which is a bad idea in the Northeast since you have to wash by hand. Did you buy it sight unseen? I was considering that grey interior but it's just too white and will get dirty as all get out over time IMO, especially fearful of wearing new blue jeans on white seats.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Congrats, I'm in MA too, considering purchasing one and have been talking to dealers, so far not finding one willing to see a GT-Line at sticker and there's not many available unless you want that Matte Steel Gray which is a bad idea in the Northeast since you have to wash by hand. Did you buy it sight unseen? I was considering that grey interior but it's just too white and will get dirty as all get out over time IMO, especially fearful of wearing new blue jeans on white seats.
Did you try Quirk Kia at Braintree? Please talk to Jerry Hunter, the store manager. I got my EV6 Wind at MSRP + tax. Everyone else had a large markup.

·
Registered
Kia EV6 GT Line (ordered)
4 Posts
5) The quotes I am getting for home charger installation are about $1600 for outlet installation and $700 for a Chargepoint charger. I am going to wait to see if I can survive by charging at parking lots at free chargers.
I'm in Colorado and I know things will differ from state to state, but for reference, the outlet installation for me was $1400. (And I did buy the $700 Charpoint charger as well.)

·
Registered
19 Posts
I had mine installed, Illinois for $1000. Need two breakers added, conduit, wires about 12 feet to box and a 14-50 plug and outlet box all included. After finished test lite showed 240 at the socket. Drill holes and run line through walls to basement from garage.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I had mine installed, Illinois for $1000. Need two breakers added, conduit, wires about 12 feet to box and a 14-50 plug and outlet box all included. After finished test lite showed 240 at the socket. Drill holes and run line through walls to basement from garage.
I have about 25 feet to the box. Probably that is why it is more expensive for me. Also, everything is more expensive in big cities.

·
Registered
2022 EV6 Wind AWD Extended
89 Posts
Picked up by Glacier White EV6 Wind AWD this Tuesday, May 3. A couple of thoughts

1) The glacier white color is little too creamy for my taste. There are many other EV6 colors that are better looking than glacier white. If possible, compare the colors on the cars at a dealership.
2) I still bought it because I wanted a grey interior. The grey interior is more white than grey. The light color makes the car look very roomy.
3) Kia Access and related features are not available in Massachusetts. So, functions such as remote start and remote monitoring are not working. This is a result of an ongoing litigation between Kia and the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, related to the "right to repair' law here.
4) Universally, Chargepoint chargers are slower than advertised.
6) The local Panera has a free ChargePoint type 2 charger next to it. Panera also has a subscription plan for $10.99 per month that gives unlimited coffee and soft drinks. If if everything goes according to plan, my monthly charging cost will be $10.99. :). Snowy winter days may be a problem. In a pinch, I may try the trickle charger that comes with our plug-in Prius.

View attachment 5396
I got the glacier white for a couple of reasons. The last 3 vehicles we've bought are red. I love red but the car I just sold was white and in summer heat it's my go to after red. I think this car looks great in white.

Charging. My garage had a 20 amp 240 outlet already so I bought the Lectron Nema 6-20 level 2 charger. For any circuit you have installed the chargers are designed to work at a current rating below the max current rating. For a 20 amp circuit they will charge at 16 amps max. As for free chargers, many aren't really accessible to the public and most are 6kw slow chargers and you'll be parked forever. May be more around where you live but that's my experience. $1600 is pretty high for a circuit installation unless it requires a major panel upgrade. For that I'd stick to slow charging overnight at home.

Can't help you with Massachusetts, I live in a free state. I like controlling some of my car functions from my phone, it's just convenient.

·
Registered
KIA EV6 AWD Wind w/Tech Package
86 Posts
I choose and am happy with the Glacier color. I think it looks great with the piano black trim. I think the other colors could be seen as more sporty. For me, I liked the more reserved look the glacier added. Hope you learn to love it or find one you do. Enjoy your new ride!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Then what is the state's issue with kia connect?
There is a "right to repair" law in Massachusetts that was passed with the help of local repair shops (against the wishes of the dealers). According to this law, auto manufacturers had to disclose all the technical details to anyone who wants to repair their car on their own, or take it to a garage of their liking. The goal is to break the monopoly on repair by the dealers (and indirectly the manufacturers). Manufacturers who do not want to disclose details openly will get into a dispute with the Commonwealth of MA.

With Kia, the local repair shops want to see the technical details that may be transmitted by Kia Connect for diagnostics. That is the depth of my knowledge on this topic.

Personally, I wish I could waive my "right to repair" to get access to Kia Connect. Also, I am not going to get my electric car repaired by the local repair shop.

·
Registered
89 Posts
There is a "right to repair" law in Massachusetts that was passed with the help of local repair shops (against the wishes of the dealers). According to this law, auto manufacturers had to disclose all the technical details to anyone who wants to repair their car on their own, or take it to a garage of their liking. The goal is to break the monopoly on repair by the dealers (and indirectly the manufacturers). Manufacturers who do not want to disclose details openly will get into a dispute with the Commonwealth of MA.

With Kia, the local repair shops want to see the technical details that may be transmitted by Kia Connect for diagnostics. That is the depth of my knowledge on this topic.

Personally, I wish I could waive my "right to repair" to get access to Kia Connect. Also, I am not going to get my electric car repaired by the local repair shop.
Not to sound repetative but to me that doesn't sound much like freedom.

On your other comments, I'd choose the right to waive because who is going to take their car and 10 year warranty to private shop? With Massachusetts it sounds like the right to choose only extends to certain subjects. I apologize if I sound biased towards your state but I am. it's far from free.

·
Registered
89 Posts

On another note, it appears Massachusetts doesn't believe in laws protecting intellectual property. That's a principal China operates on and it's a poor one. Maybe Kia should stop doing business in that state.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Not to sound repetative but to me that doesn't sound much like freedom.

On your other comments, I'd choose the right to waive because who is going to take their car and 10 year warranty to private shop? With Massachusetts it sounds like the right to choose only extends to certain subjects. I apologize if I sound biased towards your state but I am. it's far from free.
Not to get political...but...

I don't think right to repair is a bad thing...take a look at what's going on in the cell phone industry. In another 50 years, you all will most likely be driving only EVs and by that time, there should be any number of technical schools providing EV repair classes. EV repair should be as common place as shade tree mechanics are now, and that's not necessarily a bad thing.

I've owned many cars and the first thing I've learned (outside of EVs) is you're always going to get screwed by the dealership repairs.

and I too, live in a free state.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts