Kia EV6 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Ford Edge Ti
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We seem to be seeing an ever increasing number complaints of several issues that might have their origin in a 12 volt battery low voltage condition. It would be helpful to create / compile a list of voltage readings from as many new owners as we can get and see if there is any correlation between low (SOC) voltage batteries and electrical / other system faults / failures. All you need is a voltmeter and a hot and ground source to get a reading while the vehicle is "off" and preferably not driven prior for six hours or so.

·
Registered
6 Posts
We seem to be seeing an ever increasing number complaints of several issues that might have their origin in a 12 volt battery low voltage condition. It would be helpful to create / compile a list of voltage readings from as many new owners as we can get and see if there is any correlation between low (SOC) voltage batteries and electrical / other system faults / failures. All you need is a voltmeter and a hot and ground source to get a reading while the vehicle is "off" and preferably not driven prior for six hours or so.
Hi. I just had electrical fault when wife was about to leave for vet. I,ll measure the voltage in 12v battery temperature outside is -17°C. So heating problems aside if my car wont even start... starting to lose my confidence in the EV6

·
Registered
2016 Ford Edge Ti
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good, we need as much feedback on this issue as we can get!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yeah so my 12v battery gave me a reading of 13,6V so nothing low about that. And after waiting for about an hour the problem itself disappeard without a trace. Now works just fine, still wont heat tho. Kia workshop promised to check the heating problem in few days so maybe i am smarter about that then.

·
Registered
2016 Ford Edge Ti
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah so my 12v battery gave me a reading of 13,6V so nothing low about that. And after waiting for about an hour the problem itself disappeard without a trace. Now works just fine, still wont heat tho. Kia workshop promised to check the heating problem in few days so maybe i am smarter about that then.
How soon after driving did you get that voltage? That sounds like you checked it right after driving? If so, wait a few hours and check it again.

·
Registered
6 Posts
How soon after driving did you get that voltage? That sounds like you checked it right after driving? If so, wait a few hours and check it again.
It was about 12 hours after driving. Today we only tried to start the car but it didnt start because of the red car icon with "!" On it and it said electrical fault. I didnt find my volt meter anywhere so i used a charger which shows current voltage.

·
Registered
2016 Ford Edge Ti
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have to say that 13.6 volts sounds much too high 12 hrs after driving as a static condition. It would seem to me that the main battery was recharging the 12 volt battery, but I did not think that could happen unless the car was being driven?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have to say that 13.6 volts sounds much too high 12 hrs after driving as a static condition. It would seem to me that the main battery was recharging the 12 volt battery, but I did not think that could happen unless the car was being driven?
Yes i was little surprised too. Idk much how the main battery charges the 12V battery. Could it be that it charges the 12V battery while charging cable is plugged? I mean i had cable plugged in all morning and didnt manage to even start the engine when i tried, power was on quite long periods of time in the morning while i tried to get the car to start. Until i gave up, then i checked the voltage and after that tried to start again and it worked without problems. If i have the same problem again i'll measure the voltage again in case i missread the display or something.

·
Registered
2016 Ford Edge Ti
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes i was little surprised too. Idk much how the main battery charges the 12V battery. Could it be that it charges the 12V battery while charging cable is plugged? I mean i had cable plugged in all morning and didnt manage to even start the engine when i tried, power was on quite long periods of time in the morning while i tried to get the car to start. Until i gave up, then i checked the voltage and after that tried to start again and it worked without problems. If i have the same problem again i'll measure the voltage again in case i missread the display or something.
Yeah this EV batteries stuff is a bit confusing. Good luck, and do keep checking voltages.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts