Kia EV6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Ford Edge Ti
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We seem to be seeing an ever increasing number complaints of several issues that might have their origin in a 12 volt battery low voltage condition. It would be helpful to create / compile a list of voltage readings from as many new owners as we can get and see if there is any correlation between low (SOC) voltage batteries and electrical / other system faults / failures. All you need is a voltmeter and a hot and ground source to get a reading while the vehicle is "off" and preferably not driven prior for six hours or so.

·
Registered
6 Posts
We seem to be seeing an ever increasing number complaints of several issues that might have their origin in a 12 volt battery low voltage condition. It would be helpful to create / compile a list of voltage readings from as many new owners as we can get and see if there is any correlation between low (SOC) voltage batteries and electrical / other system faults / failures. All you need is a voltmeter and a hot and ground source to get a reading while the vehicle is "off" and preferably not driven prior for six hours or so.
Hi. I just had electrical fault when wife was about to leave for vet. I,ll measure the voltage in 12v battery temperature outside is -17°C. So heating problems aside if my car wont even start... starting to lose my confidence in the EV6

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yeah so my 12v battery gave me a reading of 13,6V so nothing low about that. And after waiting for about an hour the problem itself disappeard without a trace. Now works just fine, still wont heat tho. Kia workshop promised to check the heating problem in few days so maybe i am smarter about that then.

·
Registered
2016 Ford Edge Ti
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah so my 12v battery gave me a reading of 13,6V so nothing low about that. And after waiting for about an hour the problem itself disappeard without a trace. Now works just fine, still wont heat tho. Kia workshop promised to check the heating problem in few days so maybe i am smarter about that then.
How soon after driving did you get that voltage? That sounds like you checked it right after driving? If so, wait a few hours and check it again.

·
Registered
6 Posts
How soon after driving did you get that voltage? That sounds like you checked it right after driving? If so, wait a few hours and check it again.
It was about 12 hours after driving. Today we only tried to start the car but it didnt start because of the red car icon with "!" On it and it said electrical fault. I didnt find my volt meter anywhere so i used a charger which shows current voltage.

·
Registered
2016 Ford Edge Ti
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have to say that 13.6 volts sounds much too high 12 hrs after driving as a static condition. It would seem to me that the main battery was recharging the 12 volt battery, but I did not think that could happen unless the car was being driven?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have to say that 13.6 volts sounds much too high 12 hrs after driving as a static condition. It would seem to me that the main battery was recharging the 12 volt battery, but I did not think that could happen unless the car was being driven?
Yes i was little surprised too. Idk much how the main battery charges the 12V battery. Could it be that it charges the 12V battery while charging cable is plugged? I mean i had cable plugged in all morning and didnt manage to even start the engine when i tried, power was on quite long periods of time in the morning while i tried to get the car to start. Until i gave up, then i checked the voltage and after that tried to start again and it worked without problems. If i have the same problem again i'll measure the voltage again in case i missread the display or something.

·
Registered
2016 Ford Edge Ti
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes i was little surprised too. Idk much how the main battery charges the 12V battery. Could it be that it charges the 12V battery while charging cable is plugged? I mean i had cable plugged in all morning and didnt manage to even start the engine when i tried, power was on quite long periods of time in the morning while i tried to get the car to start. Until i gave up, then i checked the voltage and after that tried to start again and it worked without problems. If i have the same problem again i'll measure the voltage again in case i missread the display or something.
Yeah this EV batteries stuff is a bit confusing. Good luck, and do keep checking voltages.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Okay, got our car on Friday. Dealership charged it to 76%. Drove it 50 miles. Charged it to 100% last night. No yellow lights or 12v battery problems. Decided since I gave the high energy pack a full blast, I would do the same for the 12v legacy battery.
Initial voltage on it after car sat overnight in driveway being charged was 12.6 volts. Okay, not optimal.
I connected my charger, set it for FLA type battery and a rate of 30 amps.
Picture below shows removal of the cover that is over the battery terminals, A little tab is pressed to open cover over the positive terminal. I connected positive from the charger to the battery. Next, had to find a grounding point on the car chassis for the negative terminal connection (WARNING TO NEWBIES AND THOSE WITHOUT LIFE SKILLS: NEVER CONNECT BOTH THE POSITIVE AND NEGATIVE CABLES OF A BATTERY CHARGER OR JUMPER CABLE DIRECTLY TO THE BATTERY, FOR LIQUID FILLED BATTERIES LIKE IN THIS CAR, OVERHEATING AND A FIRE COULD OCCUR). I tried a few spots and then spotted the nice metal exposed bolt on the top of the strut. This connection for negative works perfectly. I will add what the voltage measures after the full charge is completed.
Hood Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Trunk Gas

·
Registered
377 Posts
I have an expensive meter. The charger reads out the voltage when it stops charging. Then I can periodically put my meter on it and post what I observe. Also, I am in SoCal, home of $6 gasoline our low temps in 50s, highs in 70's now. Others in cold climates may record lower voltage.

·
Registered
2016 Ford Edge Ti
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I can assure you that voltage will decay in time until it arrives at its steady state voltage.(assuming there is not some significant parasitic draw) I have seen comments here and elsewhere that this is a sealed flooded lead acid battery and you have confirmed that, correct?

·
Registered
377 Posts
It is definitely not an AGM battery. And I don't think it is a sealed battery either. I think it's a flooded battery where they mold that flat top cover into a large piece that goes over the cells. I think it can be pryed off with a flat blade driver.

·
Registered
16 Posts
12.28 volts on my EV6 that just finished a full charge (prep for short trip) AND aux batt was charged from HV batt yesterday as indicated by amber light on dash. Temp 40 F. Noted also that bolt atop strut is a good ground contact point.
Car Wheel Tire Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle

·
Registered
42 Posts
Today as I reached home my EV6 started acting strange. Screen flipped to the radio display on its own, both screens flickered and dimmed a bit as the subwoofer boomed (it wasn’t that loud). Lights inside the car reset and were confused when I open/closed the door. Main batter is at 80%, so no issues there. Is this a sign of a dying 12v battery. Only 1300 miles so far.

Just checked battery voltage with car off. 12.06v

·
Registered
377 Posts
If your car is acting strange and you think its the battery then you should measure the battery voltage and compare it to information about the battery already posted.

·
Registered
2016 Ford Edge Ti
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Please search forum for charging 12 volt battery and 12 volt battery voltage.
I established this thread to specifically get SOC values and not have a lot of conversations of why or what can be done about it. The SOC values displayed are exactly what I wanted to see and would request as many more as can be obtained. For the record 12.06 is too low a SOC for a lead acid battery. I would say that a 12.6 or so would be considered as a normal, or as normal as these EV's get in maintaining their 12 volt batteries.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts