Kia EV6 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Booked my test drive next week and ploughing my way through the online manual but confused about these settings

We already have a BMW i3. It has a single mode; when you lift of the accelerator the car slows substantially with energy recovery ( brake lights come on)
and it will stop on any reasonably level road. Coasting can be done with the pedal slightly depressed. On the majority of journeys you never use the foot brake.

Is this the same as i-pedal? If so what happens with brake regen? Does it only recover energy when actually braking with the foot brake? Why so many levels? How do they feel different in use? Why switch between?

I want to get the most from my test of the car and not worry about this sort of stuff.

Confused 馃槚. Sometimes you can have too many modes!

Cheers Bruce

Registered
I-Pedal is like you have now....foot off the accelerator and the car will slow to a complete stop. You then have varying degree of regeneration, getting lighter and lighter as you go down the levels.

Registered
Level 0 = coast mode = no regen braking when lifting off.

Level 1 = low regen on lift off

Level 2 = medium regen on lift off

Level 3 = high regen on lift off

iPedal = 鈥渕ax鈥 regen on lift off

Whatever regen mode is selected, pressing brake pedal will then apply further regen (up to max available), and then friction brakes as well - this seems to be nicely blended, at least from test drives - as good as my C350e in any case.

Holding the left paddle will cause max regen even if in a different mode, IIRC - but you can鈥檛 modulate the braking level then so I would have thought easier to just use the brake pedal and rely on the blending to use regen before friction.

Level 0 is useful for motorways if you want to be able to flex your right ankle a bit, or if you find it difficult to find the neutral balance point between regen and actually powering the wheels. However, I assume you are used to this balancing from the i3. Coasting can be slightly more efficient in some cases e.g. when coming to a red light it is better to lose speed naturally through drag rather than converting speed to electrical energy and back again and losing 20% in the process.

Not sure what the regen levels correspond to in kW - iPedal max is around 150kW I think, which is higher than many other EVs. But I think you can get more than that via pushing the actual brake pedal - potentially as high as the 240kW max power output on AWD. Possibly the kW mappings for the various levels are same across all models so have to be within the power envelope of the RWD 58kWh model? If you hook up OBD2 & Carscanner you would be able to see instantaneous regen levels as the charge goes back into the battery.

Somewhere around level 2 is probably closest to a typical ICE car engine-braking feel, so may be most comfortable for new-to-EV drivers. Coming from a PHEV with coast mode and blended regen braking I found coasting the most familiar and preferable for open dual carriageways, but preferred iPedal around town and in traffic jams.

Don鈥檛 know what happens if you try to drive it karting-style and press accelerator and brake at same time!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So helpful, thanks. So really i-pedal is just 'Level 4'.

Does the system revert to a default when switched off, or does it hold the last setting?

Registered
And what about the regen if the battery is 100% charged ? No regen at all or this energy is transfered somewhere (cabin heat, external resistor, etc...) ?

Registered
So helpful, thanks. So really i-pedal is just 'Level 4'.

Does the system revert to a default when switched off, or does it hold the last setting?
Defaults to a middle setting which is a shame. I'd rather it stayed on theist setting used.

Registered
There's also smart regeneration which you can use with the other modes (hold the right paddle for a second or so). This uses the front radar to determine if you are coming up to a car in front and applies regeneration to slow you down.

Registered
Even though I found even I-pedal a little weak, I personally would leave it in that all the time, but it is a shame that it doesn't keep the last setting when you restart.

Registered
i see a couple of comments with the regen and the preference for a last setting. surely this is just a software fix. Can a dealer make an adjustment or do we need to feed that back to Kia as part of teh next update. Seems logical to me to remember the last setting

Registered
Dealer won't be able to do anything. That will need to be in a software update from Kia.

Registered
i see a couple of comments with the regen and the preference for a last setting. surely this is just a software fix. Can a dealer make an adjustment or do we need to feed that back to Kia as part of teh next update. Seems logical to me to remember the last setting
You certainly won't get anywhere with a dealer fix and, because Kia are not offering OTA updates, you would probably be a long time waiting for a feature update from them either.

Registered
2022 Kia EV6 First Edition Steel Gray Matte
We don't have the EV6 here in the states yet but I know that in the Niro EV, you can permanently adjust the regen braking setting in the "driver profile" settings. The new system has different user profiles and you can change default settings for the "drive modes" in the Niro that allow you to choose how much regen is the default for each individual drive mode. That is then remembered independently in each driver profile.

Registered
We don't have the EV6 here in the states yet but I know that in the Niro EV, you can permanently adjust the regen braking setting in the "driver profile" settings. The new system has different user profiles and you can change default settings for the "drive modes" in the Niro that allow you to choose how much regen is the default for each individual drive mode. That is then remembered independently in each driver profile.
Font Screenshot Number Rectangle Document

1 - 13 of 13 Posts