Kia EV6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
Kia EV6 GT-Line AWD in Aurora Black Pearl
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to install a power outlet at a lake cottage that our family has and am curious if anyone has experience with the Lectron NEMA 14-50 Level 2 EV Charger - 240V 32 Amp with 15ft Extension Cord (Amazon link). There's also a 40 Amp version.

The electrician I'm engaging suggested installing a standard RV park electrical box that has a 50 A/240V, 30A/240V, and 20A/110V box. That would cover a range of electrical connection options.

Anyone else do anything like this?

·
Registered
Yatchet Blue
30 Posts
I installed an outdoor rated RV 14-50 outlet at my office and just in front of my garage. I bought the 40A shell charger off of Amazon. Primarily charge at the office every other day or so. Only quibble is it's a big thick cable and a bit burdensome to coil and put in the car each time. Definitely not putting it back in the really nice little case it came with after each use!
Bottle Liquid Bottle cap Water bottle Azure

Water Wood Brick Brickwork Building

Wood Wall Gas Electrical wiring Tints and shades

·
Registered
18 Posts
I can recommend the Amazing E portable 32 amp from clipper creek. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be any third party modular dual voltage units except for manufacturer supplied ones like from Tesla and Ford.

I'd in most cases recommend installing a nema 14-50 outlet over hardwiring because then even wall units could be moved if needed so that's the right call there.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Take a look at this thread. There's some discussion about various options, and someone made a spreadsheet listing many of them. I personally added a 14-50 outlet in my garage and got the Shell 40A unit mentioend above. Haven't used it much, I generally just charge at work.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I also got the Shell 40A, seemed like the best bang for the buck. It also comes with the longest cable and a 115V adapter. I also bought other adapters for dryer ports to use it when visiting my relatives. I like that it can automatically pick the best charging amps automatically, takes the guessing game out of the equation.

·
Registered
FE Glacier #683
95 Posts
I'm looking to install a power outlet at a lake cottage that our family has and am curious if anyone has experience with the Lectron NEMA 14-50 Level 2 EV Charger - 240V 32 Amp with 15ft Extension Cord (Amazon link). There's also a 40 Amp version.

The electrician I'm engaging suggested installing a standard RV park electrical box that has a 50 A/240V, 30A/240V, and 20A/110V box. That would cover a range of electrical connection options.

Anyone else do anything like this?
Installing all those different types of connectors at the house seems excessive when there are many adaptors (RV folks have been using them for years). The adaptors aren't usually very big and then you can keep them in the car when you travel if needed. Install the 50 amp at the lake cottage and have adaptors to step down if needed.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Installing all those different types of connectors at the house seems excessive when there are many adaptors (RV folks have been using them for years). The adaptors aren't usually very big and then you can keep them in the car when you travel if needed. Install the 50 amp at the lake cottage and have adaptors to step down if needed.
That's exactly the plan -- an RV port with 220/50, 220/30, and 110/20.

·
Registered
47 Posts
You can even fit a 12v portable battery jump starting unit if you remove the 120v adapter and put it in the trunk.
I've seen people do this with other EV's, is this still a thing with the EV6? I thought there was a thread around here somewhere that said there's a little light on the dashboard when the 12v battery is being charged from the big battery.

Just wondering if I need to add this to the shopping list.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I've seen people do this with other EV's, is this still a thing with the EV6? I thought there was a thread around here somewhere that said there's a little light on the dashboard when the 12v battery is being charged from the big battery.

I think the dead 12 volt battery problem is not prevalent on the EV6. I read the Ioniq board and it’s very prevalent. I think there might even be a sticky about it.

·
Registered
KIA EV6 AWD Wind w/Tech Package
128 Posts
Yes, I was shocked. I like that the unit auto-detects the correct amperage and sets itself to 80% the max amperage so it really is a set and forget unit.
Just a word of caution. It does not always accurately detect the correct amperage. I would not rely on that feature at all. The nice part is you can manually adjust to the correct one.

·
Registered
2022 Gravity Blue EV6 AWD w/ Tech Package
191 Posts
Just a word of caution. It does not always accurately detect the correct amperage. I would not rely on that feature at all. The nice part is you can manually adjust to the correct one.
I also like that you can see the amperage setpoint it determined right on the screen. I do always check what it determines and thanks for the heads up.

·
Registered
2022 Gravity Blue EV6 AWD w/ Tech Package
191 Posts

A dead 12v usually comes from inadequate charging of the battery or a faulty battery. I purchased it more so for the day in 3-5 years in the future that it degrades to the point of requiring replacement not because I think the factory batteries are defective. Basically $50 insurance to ensure I can always start the car.

·
Registered
FE Glacier #683
95 Posts
That's exactly the plan -- an RV port with 220/50, 220/30, and 110/20.
So you are installing all three of those electrical connections? If so, that seems excessive as you can install just the 220/50 and use adapters to step down to the other connectors. That's what I was trying to say in my post.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I installed a 14-50 in our garage. Currently use a Tesla mobile charger with a TeslaTap adaptor. A little more than the Shell, which I also considered, but I like that the TeslaTap will allow is to use Tesla destination chargers if needed. So far it's been great.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So you are installing all three of those electrical connections? If so, that seems excessive as you can install just the 220/50 and use adapters to step down to the other connectors. That's what I was trying to say in my post.
I'm not sure what you mean by "use adapters to step down to the other connectors." For charging my car, I want the 50A/220V circuit. While I'm unfamiliar with RV connections, the electrician said that 30A/220V is standard/common. And the 20A/110V is for standard tools (vacuum for the car, powered lawn tools, etc.). He's going to pull one 60A/220V cable and the box distributed as needed, or something like that. (I'm not an electrician.)

·
Registered
FE Glacier #683
95 Posts
I'm not sure what you mean by "use adapters to step down to the other connectors." For charging my car, I want the 50A/220V circuit. While I'm unfamiliar with RV connections, the electrician said that 30A/220V is standard/common. And the 20A/110V is for standard tools (vacuum for the car, powered lawn tools, etc.). He's going to pull one 60A/220V cable and the box distributed as needed, or something like that. (I'm not an electrician.)
This is what I was imagining. It is just a small example of the types of adaptors out there and if you ever find yourself having to charge at a campground, having some of the adaptors may be beneficial when you are down to your last electrons and the only place nearby is a campground. Regardless if you decide to go with the electricians recommendations, you won't be disappointed with the power options you have. I was just looking at this situation at purely a cost savings exercise. Put money into something that will serve me well only at home, or have something that will serve me well at home and potentially while traveling.

Head Facial expression Vertebrate Product Food

1 - 20 of 29 Posts