Kia EV6 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just started using a JuiceBox EVSE for the EV6. The EV6 is set to charge to 80% as it's daily commute of around 105miles @65-70mph with 104 outside temperature consumes appropriately 38-40% of battery life.

I was looking at last night's charge and noticed something odd. The EV6 consumes power starting about 5-10 minutes after the charge is complete.
Rectangle Slope Plot Font Parallel

Over night, the low temperature in the garage only gets down to around 82 degrees. I'm assuming the battery never really gets to cool of with these temps.
Slope Font Rectangle Science Terrestrial plant

I have a departure time of 5am and would expect power usage 20 minutes before that.

I'm guessing this is the EV6 trying to cool the battery a bit. I do have a 150CFM garage fan that turns on once the outside air temperature is 10 degrees cooler than the garage, and turns off once it's within 7 degrees. Anything less than that doesn't really do much. It's not a huge fan, but it's better than nothing. used to stay in the mid 90s before.

Thoughts? Options? Guesses? ...as to what else would be causing this?

· Registered
49 Posts
I don’t think it would be the DC-DC 12v step down. It’s way too much power and it’s not consistent enough. I would be curious to see if anyone else has a similar experience. I only have a dumb charger in the garage.

I don’t even really have a good guess. I’m just rambling here but… Your battery should be getting plenty cool. Anything less than operating temp would be considered ‘cool’ by comparison. If the battery were too warm, the car would kick in the fans, and possibly the HVAC if it got too hot, to cool it off. My Chevy Volt will randomly just turn the fans on to cycle some ‘cool’ fluid through the pack even when it has been plugged in for several days, fully charged, doing absolutely nothing. I would imagine the EV6 can potentially do the same thing. Your ambient garage temp is high to start but 82* is almost perfect for an EV battery. Anything between 70-104*F is where they want to be with the lower end of that being the most optimal temp for range. When you start your commute the pack will regulate its own temp with the HVAC system if needed.

The HVAC system could be consuming that much power but the fans would have to kick in to radiate the excess heat. You hear that for sure. I don’t know for sure but I’d guess that only happens to a stationary vehicle during DC fast charging. Again, it’s too irregular for me to think it’s the cooling system. Fans alone don’t consume that much evergy and you’d know if the pack was utilizing active cooling.

Rambling aside, maybe it’s some sort of maintenance routine. Cycling relatively small amounts of energy to top off or something. I really don’t know. I’m ordering a smart charger soon and am very interested to see if mine does the same thing.

· Registered
27 Posts
I have noticed that activity on different cars to include my I-Pace while using my Juicenet.

I just attributed it to the cells balancing . The main high charge is complete and the charger is essentially topping off the battery as the BCM balances the cells.

Mike

1 - 8 of 8 Posts