Kia EV6 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
KIA EV6 GT 2023
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know what the actual rating for the power outlets is?

the covers state 15amp, but the fuse in the fuse box is 20amp

the subwoofer I want to fit has a rating of 20amps so if I can’t use the power outlet in the boot I will have to run a separate cable to the battery which would be annoying.

thank you

· Registered
F.E. 208/1500 Matte Gray
363 Posts
nice, you have 250V over there. Might have to get me one from the UK. Do you have the model number? Covert it to the J1772, but maybe circuit in the car is different too....
Gadget Audio equipment Font Multimedia Rectangle

· Registered
917 Posts
sorry I meant the cigarette lighter ones there’s one in the front and one in the back.

I don’t understand why the sockets say 15amp but the actual fuse is 20amp? (12volt obviously)
I'm not sure, but a couple possibilities:
1) fuses aren't precision devices. Maybe they deliberately left overhead.
2) it's possible the front and rear outlet share a circuit, and you can draw 15A from either of them but not both, and 20 is what the wiring actually tolerates total.

I'd say try it, and if you blow a lot of fuses, you'll know you need to run a wire.

· Registered
293 Posts
A fuse protects wire not the item attached.
The wiring must be able to take more than 15A from sustained use for safety.
There is an inverter conversion going on, which is not 100% efficient.

16A/240V vs 15A/110V suggests the inverter and possibly efficiency of the conversion from 800V to 110V uses some of the “spare”

At 80% efficiency it would be 16A and at 75 % it would be 15A. Going 800 to 240 is likely to be more efficient than further down from 800 to 110v

· Registered
917 Posts
A fuse protects wire not the item attached.
The wiring must be able to take more than 15A from sustained use for safety.
There is an inverter conversion going on, which is not 100% efficient.

16A/240V vs 15A/110V suggests the inverter and possibly efficiency of the conversion from 800V to 110V uses some of the “spare”

At 80% efficiency it would be 16A and at 75 % it would be 15A. Going 800 to 240 is likely to be more efficient than further down from 800 to 110v
OP is talking about 12V outlets, not AC. But also the inverter is the ICCU itself. It's definitely not fused inside that same driver footwell fuse box with all the other plebian circuits.

· Registered
KIA EV6 GT 2023
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks,

what I was planning to do was fuse the sub with a 15amp fuse on the assumption that the DC power outlet in the rear must be ok with at least that if the main fuse by the drivers feet is 20amp.

a sub won’t run continuously so as long as it’s not running flat out at max bass boost so hope that will be ok.
The alternative is to run a 20amp fused power cable all the way from the battery to the rear trunk which is doable but a bit of a pain.

does that sound sensible?

· Registered
Kia EV6 Wind
567 Posts
nice, you have 250V over there. Might have to get me one from the UK. Do you have the model number? Covert it to the J1772, but maybe circuit in the car is different too....
View attachment 11485
The V2L adapter is just a pass-through. The car sets the voltage, which is 120V in North America and 240V everywhere else. The only difference in the V2Ls is the outlet shape.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts