Kia EV6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
PRE HEAT ISSUES
The scheduled charging problem I had now appears to be resolved. But I still cannot pre heat my car.
The app says “(success) Climate control activated” a few seconds later, I get a message “(Alarm) Charging cable unplugged. Cannot activate target temperature. Please check your charging cable connection”
I know others have been having a similar problem.
I emailed the dealer this morning he has been in touch with KIA Technical, they asked if I’m using the KIA cable, No I have a tethered type 2 cab,e on my wall box. I have had no troubles with this cable or the wall box since it was installed.
I have been asked to take the car back to the dealership so they can check this on their cables.
I have 2 other type 2 cables I shall take with me. I shall keep you posted.

·
Registered
323 Posts
OK so I might be wrong but IF a cable is plugged from your Charger to the Car it must be ON and charging to preheat... so I assume your wall charger is on when you are trying. Also good idea to set the Pre-Heat at least 10 mins after the charging has started as there is a delay in the unit handshaking with the car so it you try at the same time it might fail. If you've reached your max state of charge that should be fine as it's the car which limits this, not the charger. Have you done this and does it make sense?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Jon yes & no. I have my car set to scheduled charging 00:30-04:00 I do not want to pre heat the car at 4 in the morning! I want to preheat the car on a cold morning but only when I want it to, I don’t want this on a timer. I am retired and don’t go out early on cold mornings unless I have to.
On my MINI charging came on with the timer, if I was going out on a cold morning I would simply select pre condition the car, 20 minutes later I had a nice warm car with no frost on the windscreen. The power for the pre heat having come from the mains and not the MINI’s battery.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Gordon do you have a protection on your wallbox, do you have to use for example a keycard to allow charging?
It could be that when the car is fully charged the wallbox detects this and disables the charging. When the pre-heat is selected the car asks to enable charing again. The wallbox will not allow to start charging again as it requires to enable/allow it to use the key-card first.

Not sure if this is your issue, but it could be an issue..

·
Registered
36 Posts
I had a volvo V60 hybrid. It would heat through app electric when it was configured as charging inside. And when outside it used diesel without any filter on it.
It smelled like an old lorry from the 80's. Seen as one of the most environment friendly cars this was IMO a huge design flaw, but it worked prefectly (both of them),,,

·
Registered
EV6 77kWh RWD Steel Grey (05/22)
73 Posts
Is it not possible to preheat without charging? For example when I get up, and have to leave in 30 mins I can activate the heating through the app? I am always up at least an hour before I leave so don't have to program it per se.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Having the exact same issue and same error messages on mine. Using a zappi tethered charger and scheduled heating didn't work. Tried activating it via the kia connect app and got the same error as you.

I watched the car and charger while testing it, the zappi goes into charging mode and the relays click, the car makes some clicks too and then it all stops, zappi goes into standby and I get the "cable unplugged" message in kia connect app.

Tried poking around the settings in the zappi and can't find anything that might be causing it to disconnect.

Please update if you get any answer, ill probably give my dealer a call during the week about it.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Gordon do you have a protection on your wallbox, do you have to use for example a keycard to allow charging?
It could be that when the car is fully charged the wallbox detects this and disables the charging. When the pre-heat is selected the car asks to enable charing again. The wallbox will not allow to start charging again as it requires to enable/allow it to use the key-card first.

Not sure if this is your issue, but it could be an issue..
Sorry for the late reply, I have a non SMART wall box which has worked fine for more than 2 years on my MINI.
I come home with my new EV6 and have charging and pre heat problems. I have been back to the dealers twice now and the problem is still not resolved a case has been raised with KIA, we’ll just have to wait and see how long it takes for them to resolve the issue.
I have deleted KIA Connect and am trying UVO, not sure if it makes any difference,

·
Registered
43 Posts
Did you get a portable/granny charger with your EV6? I tried the remote climate control from the app with the granny charger plugged in the other day and it did successfully activate. Not sure if it was luck or not, will need to try it again. If you have one, try it and see?

·
Registered
323 Posts
Sorry for the late reply, I have a non SMART wall box which has worked fine for more than 2 years on my MINI.
I come home with my new EV6 and have charging and pre heat problems. I have been back to the dealers twice now and the problem is still not resolved a case has been raised with KIA, we’ll just have to wait and see how long it takes for them to resolve the issue.
I have deleted KIA Connect and am trying UVO, not sure if it makes any difference,
Non-smart should be better in your use case. You should be able to turn the "scheduled climate control" off and then just use the App Remote function to start the climate control manually. You'd be using the battery but you could manually also start a short charge at the same time if you wanted to maximise the range and do the climate preparation from the mains. That's all under Remote in the App. That works on mine with or without a charger connected.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Did you get a portable/granny charger with your EV6? I tried the remote climate control from the app with the granny charger plugged in the other day and it did successfully activate. Not sure if it was luck or not, will need to try it again. If you have one, try it and see?
I do have a granny charger but don’t use it, my granny passed away many years ago!
Seriously, I have put the granny charger away in a cupboard. When I had my MINI, there had been a problem with these getting hot so they were replaced, a note on the equipments said only for occasional use.
In addition I have a 32 amp Rolec Wall box with a tethered lead I plug into the car. This has worked great for the last 2 years or more on the MINI.

·
Registered
43 Posts
So I had some success testing this evening. I turned off the charging schedule in the car and set the timer to off peak hours on the charger instead. With this, I was able to remotely start the climate control from the app, will wait and see if the scheduled climate control works tomorrow morning.

(For anyone else who might have one, its a zappi charger I'm using, I've set it to eco mode and the boost timer is set from midnight to 8am, when plugged in before the timer, the zappi displays "waiting for surplus", I dont have solar panels yet, so there isn't any surplus, then when the boost timer comes on, the car starts to charge from the grid)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Non-smart should be better in your use case. You should be able to turn the "scheduled climate control" off and then just use the App Remote function to start the climate control manually. You'd be using the battery but you could manually also start a short charge at the same time if you wanted to maximise the range and do the climate preparation from the mains. That's all under Remote in the App. That works on mine with or without a charger connected.
What's the app you're using? Is it UVO 2021 or Kia Connect?
Thanks!

·
Registered
323 Posts
Is it not possible to preheat without charging? For example when I get up, and have to leave in 30 mins I can activate the heating through the app? I am always up at least an hour before I leave so don't have to program it per se.
I think you can manually pre-heat without charging BUT your charge status must be "Standby"... IE the wall charger is happy to supply charge but the car has paused it. If the wall charger has stopped the charge the status seems to be "Not plugged" which is technically not the case but I get it that the car can't see a potential charge.

Manually, I had some success defrosting the car this morning even though the status was Not plugged but it didn't heat the cabin. Defrosted and turned on the seats, wheel and rear de-mist but no heat. Bizarre if I'm honest.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Manually, I had some success defrosting the car this morning even though the status was Not plugged but it didn't heat the cabin. Defrosted and turned on the seats, wheel and rear de-mist but no heat. Bizarre if I'm honest.
Exactly the same happened to us today, rear screen and mirrors defrosted but front screen remained iced up..... subsequently found that cabin fan comes on but no heat was being produced. We had also previously had random success with use of cabin heating so I was prompted to contact the dealer and then took the car over to them. The conclusion was that there's a problem but as yet not a diagnosis. What we did discover was that cabin heating was virtually non existent when eco drive mode is set. Switching to Normal and heat was plentiful. For the time being we will stick to normal or sport while the dealer researches further. To be continued .....🤔

·
Registered
15 Posts
Exactly the same happened to us today, rear screen and mirrors defrosted but front screen remained iced up..... subsequently found that cabin fan comes on but no heat was being produced. We had also previously had random success with use of cabin heating so I was prompted to contact the dealer and then took the car over to them. The conclusion was that there's a problem but as yet not a diagnosis. What we did discover was that cabin heating was vertically non existent when eco drive mode is set. Switching to Normal and heat was plentiful. For the time being we will stick to normal or sport while the dealer researches further. To be continued .....🤔
Same problem here. Outside temp -3 C this morning, wanted to get in the car and was ready to start, but no heat at all. Defrosting rear window, seat heating and mirror defrosting all ok. Couldn't leave with frosted and fogged up windows, so this is actually a big problem not being able to drive.

Called the KIA dealership and they have no clue what could be wrong (yet). Tried for half an hour and suddenly the heat came on when I tried driving it for a bit (even with ice on the windshield). Drove to my destination about 40 min away, got out the car and turned it off. After 15 min, when I wanted to drive home: no heat again for 26 minutes. Was lucky there was no snow. I remember the heat coming back on when I put the regen level from 2 to 1 or 0. Might be coincidence. Anyway, if the heat button is 'ON' there should be heat, no matter what.

In this topic I read KIA is probably aware of the problem, but as far as I know I'm the first who's reporting this to KIA in Sweden (where I live). I received my EV6 last week, so it's the first batch.

By the way, preheating the EV6 through KIA Connect as well as UVO does not work (both connected and not connected to a charger).

Both problems are very annoying, so hopefully they fix a solution or update soon with winter coming in Sweden soon.

If anyone has a solution, I'm more than happy to hear it. Heat in winter for defrosting and defogging is just as essential as the engine I would say. Should be priority 1 for KIA.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Heating up the car and battery is crucial in the winter. Both for Battery care, but also for range.
Last but not least you want to drive away in an already warm car so that you do not have to clear the front and side windows...

Same is for heating up the battery when you arrive at a quick charger. You want the battery in the winter to be warm and in the summer to be cold.. Otherwhise quickcharging will not work either.
Seems some crucial elements in the software need to be fixed by Kia ASAP

·
Registered
323 Posts
Same problem here. Outside temp -3 C this morning, wanted to get in the car and was ready to start, but no heat at all. Defrosting rear window, seat heating and mirror defrosting all ok. Couldn't leave with frosted and fogged up windows, so this is actually a big problem not being able to drive.

Called the KIA dealership and they have no clue what could be wrong (yet). Tried for half an hour and suddenly the heat came on when I tried driving it for a bit (even with ice on the windshield). Drove to my destination about 40 min away, got out the car and turned it off. After 15 min, when I wanted to drive home: no heat again for 26 minutes. Was lucky there was no snow. I remember the heat coming back on when I put the regen level from 2 to 1 or 0. Might be coincidence. Anyway, if the heat button is 'ON' there should be heat, no matter what.

In this topic I read KIA is probably aware of the problem, but as far as I know I'm the first who's reporting this to KIA in Sweden (where I live). I received my EV6 last week, so it's the first batch.

By the way, preheating the EV6 through KIA Connect as well as UVO does not work (both connected and not connected to a charger).

Both problems are very annoying, so hopefully they fix a solution or update soon with winter coming in Sweden soon.

If anyone has a solution, I'm more than happy to hear it. Heat in winter for defrosting and defogging is just as essential as the engine I would say. Should be priority 1 for KIA.
Was your car in Eco? I read that heating is reduced to scavenging spare heat from the battery. I haven't tried it yet but Normal Mode might function differently perhaps?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts