Kia EV6 Forum banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Was your car in Eco? I read that heating is reduced to scavenging spare heat from the battery. I haven't tried it yet but Normal Mode might function differently perhaps?
Tried both Eco and Normal this morning but could get no heat on the journey out. Changed nothing and got heat on the way back. While I think it is possible there is an intermittent fault, I am leaning towards it being a software control issue along the lines of diverting heat to the battery (it was 2 Celsius this morning).

·
Registered
17 Posts
Was your car in Eco? I read that heating is reduced to scavenging spare heat from the battery. I haven't tried it yet but Normal Mode might function differently perhaps?
Thanks for your suggestion! Just tried all drive modes, but unfortunately no heat during the first 50 km (about 40 minutes) in temperatures below 0 C. Was freezing in the EV6, but managed to keep the windshield clear with the AC. Electric seat and steering wheel heater working fine. When leaving my second stop after 50 km driven, suddenly it got toasty warm again until I got home. Only difference was that when starting the car for the trip home, I didn't turn on the seat heater and steering wheel heater. I also remember switching from regen levels with the flippers at the steering wheel.

I didn't dare to touch the heating controls when it started blowing hot air, but had a nice warm car until I got home. However, when starting it again (as a test) the heat was gone again.

I also think it's a software bug, which can be fixed, but it tempers my enthusiasm a lot right now. Was planning a long weekend trip, but am about to cancel it.

It's really a shame that such an enjoyable, modern and overall well-thought-out car has such an essential issue.

Tomorrow I'll ask KIA for a solution again, will keep you updated. (this morning they were about to tow the car as it was not drivable without heat and frosted windshield).

·
Registered
43 Posts
Thanks for your suggestion! Just tried all drive modes, but unfortunately no heat during the first 50 km (about 40 minutes) in temperatures below 0 C. Was freezing in the EV6, but managed to keep the windshield clear with the AC. Electric seat and steering wheel heater working fine. When leaving my second stop after 50 km driven, suddenly it got toasty warm again until I got home. Only difference was that when starting the car for the trip home, I didn't turn on the seat heater and steering wheel heater. I also remember switching from regen levels with the flippers at the steering wheel.

I didn't dare to touch the heating controls when it started blowing hot air, but had a nice warm car until I got home. However, when starting it again (as a test) the heat was gone again.

I also think it's a software bug, which can be fixed, but it tempers my enthusiasm a lot right now. Was planning a long weekend trip, but am about to cancel it.

It's really a shame that such an enjoyable, modern and overall well-thought-out car has such an essential issue.

Tomorrow I'll ask KIA for a solution again, will keep you updated. (this morning they were about to tow the car as it was not drivable without heat and frosted windshield).
Hi Thomas,

I have just the opposite problem as you. I get heat from the first moment I turn the climate control, and when I say heat I mean heat as hell. It stays this way for some time, 10, 20 or 30 minutes, and then blown air starts getting colder until is completely cold. I need to stop the car for hours to get heat again. Occasionally I get heat back whiteout stopping the car but this is very rare.

Just let you know in the case this helps in your talks with the dealership.

I talked to mine on Monday but I will call them again to check and tell your case. Let's see if putting all the pieces together they find a fix soon.

Cheers.

·
Registered
336 Posts

Hi Thomas,

I have just the opposite problem as you. I get heat from the first moment I turn the climate control, and when I say heat I mean heat as hell. It stays this way for some time, 10, 20 or 30 minutes, and then blown air starts getting colder until is completely cold. I need to stop the car for hours to get heat again. Occasionally I get heat back whiteout stopping the car but this is very rare.

Just let you know in the case this helps in your talks with the dealership.

I talked to mine on Monday but I will call them again to check and tell your case. Let's see if putting all the pieces together they find a fix soon.

Cheers.
Both these issues are to do with the "inductive heater". The EV6 with or without the Heat Pump has an inductive heater. I found an article about this some time ago. Here it is...

The bottom line is you should not need to wait for waste heat before your car heats up and you should not need to be blasted with heat regardless.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi folks, I'm waiting for my EV 6 (May I'm told)...so currently like a kid at Christmas 😄.
I've been watching loads of videos on the EV 6, but have a question on preheat.
If I schedule my charging to start at (say) 02:00 and finish at 07:00 will the car automatically preheat the batteries prior to me using the car around 07:30. Or do I need to anything else.
Thanks in advance for your replies

·
Registered
14 Posts
Both these issues are to do with the "inductive heater". The EV6 with or without the Heat Pump has an inductive heater. The bottom line is you should not need to wait for waste heat before your car heats up and you should not need to be blasted with heat regardless.
It feels like there may be a common theme here, where Kia are trying too hard to avoid using the inductive heater - presumably to preserve range in real-world conditions, as WLTP is tested at 23degC and 14degC so probably not affected.

Cold cabin in freezing temps - car should use inductive heater to heat the cabin and rely on battery usage and heat pump to warm the battery. (Heat pump efficiency is inversely proportional to the temperature difference, and the battery only needs to get to 10-15degC to be able to provide sustained 70kW or so, which should be enough for driving even with bursts up 150kW. Whereas the occupants probably want more like 20degC in the cabin. Inductive heating efficiency isn’t affected by the outside temp. IIRC Tesla does something additional when it is preconditioning the battery on AWD cars, where it powers the rear motor but keeps the front connected too, which will therefore generate electricity - which wastes electricity in the conversions in battery and both motors, which can be used to heat the battery more quickly. Not sure if the E-GMP platform and heat pump system could do something similar.)

“Cold gating” - slow charging when battery is cold - car should use the inductive heater and heat pump to warm the battery when navigating to DCFC site as well as when charging (unless heater needed for cabin heating).

“Rapid gating” - slow charging when battery is hot in cold weather - car should use heat pump to cool battery and just use inductive heater to heat cabin. (In this scenario we are on a DCFC in with 100kW+ available so the only impact would be money, not time or range, making it basically a no-brainier.)

Rapid gating in hot weather - car should use heat pump to cool battery - or perhaps just warn passengers that charging is slowed because heat pump is being use for HVAC and give the option to turn off AC. (Some might well prefer to spend 30mins in cool comfort enjoying the premium relaxation seats etc. rather than 20min in a hot humid cabin getting maximum charge speed.)

·
Registered
167 Posts
If the system is properly designed and implemented, there shouldn't be a need to choose between using the HP for batteries, or the cabin. It should be able to do both, and also be able to use heat from the batteries to heat the cabin. Hopefully it's a software issue, rather than an inherent design flaw.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Just seen on another forum

“Car was at dealer's this morning, fault codes were found relating to the heating, turns out there are numerous reports on Kia's internal system on this issue and a replacement "air-conditioning inverter" is being produced which should resolve the issue, I hope they pull their finger out, 3C this morning, heating set to 27C and cold air starts coming out. I don't seem able to have heating for more than 5 - 10 mins before it starts blowing cold.”

So looks like a hardware rather than software problem. Could be a cold winter for some of us!

·
Registered
336 Posts
OK, so this evening my rep from the dealer popped round my house on the way home to deliver some mats, very nice, thank you very much :)
We had a LONG chat about the issues. There seem to be TWO separate issues.

1) some owners get intermittent heating and this will produce fault codes. Your dealer will be able to plug into you car and see these errors and there will probably parts will be replaced. Some have said sensors and as above even the whole HVAC Inverter. I'm sure Kia will investigate this and replace faulty parts.

2) The Preconditioning does not currently use the "HEAT" function. This is not to say the cabin doesn't warm up slightly as it will due to heat from the seats but the windscreen will not deice, for example. In the e-Nero the same function does use the heating function, so it can be assumed there is a problem with the App/EV6 interface. Likewise Kia can not have a "Target Temperature" nor use words like and "Defrost and Heating" and then fail to both defrost and heat. It's a known error.

I understand that this HAS been discussed on the Kia internal portal and that Kia are aware many if not most customers are considering this to be a fault.

Many customers are finding the car heating is fine when using the heat button especially when not using Eco Mode however even when in Eco if you press the heat then it should provide heat. Customers will intermittent cold air coming out should have their cars checked for fault codes.

This might be relevant to you @yorkieboy and @AMO but good info for discussion with your dealer.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I'm not sure I follow #2. Does this mean that Kia doesn't consider it to be a fault? Not being able to blow warm air during preconditioning is "as intended"?
Well we do consider it a fault. My dealer considers it a fault, especially when compared to the E-Nero.

We will have to see how Kia respond. My dealer even used the "possible recall" line if it can't be done by way of an update.

I am speculating that there is a command issue between the car and the App. It could be a bug at either end. To me it's pretty clearly a fault and it seems to be on all cars. It's just some users don't recognise it as such.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I read some notes from Kia (I can read upside down) along the lines of...

Kia are aware of some users having heater function concerns. Our Engineers are urgently working on solutions including a software update but this might cause some delivery delays for a small number so updates can be done before delivery.... or words to that effect.

So there will be a software update plus possible other updates... good to know it's being fixed at least.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts