Kia EV6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1 of 300 ON, GTA
Joined
·
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been lurking on this forum for quite some time as I've had little to contribute and have been fascinated by all the info available here, plus the general enthusiasm and sharing of thoughts. Thank you all.

I'm "officially among the lucky few Canadians" who managed to register for one of the 200 EV6 pre-orders.

I have been following the development of the EV6 for well over a year. And I was thrilled to be one of the 200 pr-order customers and put down my $500, even though there wasn't much info about what I was buying feature wise. I had assumed that Kia Canada would have provided the pricing and features much sooner than now - the EV6 is still not on Kia Canada's WEB site - disappointing.

As many others have commented here my dealer has provided next to no info, and frankly seems to have little enthusiasm that I am one of his two EV6 pre-orders. Had I not gone in to see the dealer I doubt I would have heard anything about my pre-order except the email from Kia Canada. Seems to be a lot more excitement by Kia USA and US Kia dealers regarding the EV6 than here in Canada. Enough sour grapes.

I've looked through whatever documentation I can find and no where is it absolute as to whether my pre-order will have package 1 or package 2. I have seen many comments in this forum suggesting that all the pre-orders will be white in colour (so why did they ask us to choose colours?) and will have package 2.

I really would prefer to have package 1. I'm quite tall and need the headroom lost by the sunroof in package 2. I would rather have the 19" tires than the 20". And I can't justify for myself the $4,000 more for package 2. There isn't much in package 2 that excites me, even the higher end audio system (my home audio system is worth more than the EV6).

I would have expected Kia Canada to give pre-order customers a choice of which package. If my dealer tells me I have to take the EV6 with package 2 then I think I will take a pass on it and do a new order. I've seen a Korean EV6 in a dark green which looks great in the photos. I'm willing to wait as I don't see anything else coming that compares with the EV6, especially for the price. I may have to take another look at the Ioniq5.

I'll just keep my old 2010 Kia Soul 2U running (only 195,000 Km). Plus I have our 2020 Soul EV as a backup. Both have been excellent vehicles.

Incidentally, when I talked with my dealer and suggested I might not take the EV6 if I didn't care for the colour he said he would buy it from me. I suppose he would have no shortage of interested buyers.
 
  • Like
Reactions: robby-d

·
Registered
GT-Line 2 (initial 200)
Joined
·
716 Posts
Yes, there is confirmation that the pre-orders will all be Pkg 2. Dealers were told this Oct 24, the day before pre-orders open, and all confirmations since have listed features in the Pkg 2. The white colour is a rumour, my dealer has repeatedly said he's heard no such thing, and he's been very forthcoming with info; on the other hand, others have heard the exact opposite. There is a global shortage of some blue pigment, so there's a possibility it's true, but I'm seeing lots of Yacht Blue, black, matte gray and other colours in the US, so I personally suspect the white rumour is false.

I have been talking to my dealer about not taking an order etc. and he says that Kia comes down hard on dealers that pull "stunts" like that to get cars. But that's not your worry, and if you can make money on it then go ahead, but it doesn't sound like you owe your dealership any favours, and I wouldn't be surprised if it somehow falls through.

A few factors to consider:
  • The wait list for the EV6 is now a year
  • The semiconductor shortage is expected to last into 2023. Trade-in values, including barely-used vehicles, will be very high for a while. You may wish to take the Pkg 2 and then trade in on a Pkg 1 if you can find one soon.
  • Many people have multiple vehicles reserved because of delays / lack of availability; eventually these will start to be available.
  • The iZEV program expires Mar 31, 2022. It needs to be extended and re-funded or we can kiss that $5k goodbye.
  • Your provincial program may differ, but in BC and QC you have to keep the car for a year or you need to pay back the incentive. BC's is running short on funds, currently - there are only enough for about 1,000 cars last I checked. ON may get a rebate after the provincial election. But again, iZEV may go away.

Ultimately, only you know your finances and what priorities you have in a car.
 

·
Registered
1 of 300 ON, GTA
Joined
·
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
robby-d
Thanks for those thoughts - good points all.
My dealer certainly has not informed me about pre-orders being pkg 2. Oh well.

Must not be too much fun being a dealer now with inventory shortages and your vendor appearing to sell direct. And oh yes, there is a lot less money for dealers to make servicing EVs since there is so much less to go wrong with them, at least mechanically. And probably a big investent in equipment and training for all the new tech in cars.

If I relinquish my order through Kia Canada and get my $500 refunded what does Kia do with the vehicle? Does my dealer still get to sell it, at MSRP?

I don't see that Kia Canada has done much for me being "one of the lucky Canadians" who shelled out $500 (in the USA it was only $100). We lucky Canadians are still paying full price, as far as I know, and with fewer choices than a regular order. And with the Canadian Auto Show having been cancelled, no advance opportunity to see/touch/sit in the EV6. Huge bummer.

The Federal and (not Ontario) Provincial rebates are certainly worth keeping in mind. But they are not what is driving my interest in getting another EV.

As far as the chip shortage, there may be a shortage but I think that it is contrived, and covid is a good excuse. Someone said never let a good pandemic go to waste. I'm not into conspiracies but the chip shortage smells fishy to me. However, you are right, it will still be awhile before whatever is going on settles out.

There will be many more manufacturers with many EV models in the next year or so. Competition will keep prices down. And I believe new battery technology, coming in a year or two, will also keep prices down. Much to think about. And it give me more time to get a level 2 charge unit installed. So far we just use the level 1 adapter for our Soul EV and it meets our needs nicely.

I will wait if I have to - darn!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
Another thing to consider about the different rebates. If they are renew and for example the rules of th base model under $45,000 and maximum at $55,000 are pushed up, what would the car makers do about the msrp following that? At least in the next couple of years.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,001 Posts
Another thing to consider about the different rebates. If they are renew and for example the rules of th base model under $45,000 and maximum at $55,000 are pushed up, what would the car makers do about the msrp following that? At least in the next couple of years.
This. I’m more inclined to think that the eligibility will be expanded but highly doubt the value will be changed. A smaller value (i.e. the same one we have now) will allow more Canadians to partake in the purchase without the need for the feds to top up.

And if a certain party in Ontario wins and passes their legislation, you can bet the uptake in incentives will significantly increase. That said, even with the generous rebates before, Quebec and BC were still ahead of Ontario (IIRC). But today’s landscape is different. Gas prices are higher, there are more models to choose from and longer ranges to suit those with long commutes (and cottages to visit) so I’m thinking uptake will be higher this time around.
 

·
Registered
GT-Line 2 (initial 200)
Joined
·
716 Posts
I honestly think if you're getting a new car at MSRP in Canada right now you're sitting pretty; used car prices (and trade in valuations) are ridiculous. And with inflation as it is, quite likely prices will go up in the short term even without factoring increased rebate thresholds and the fact many of these vehicles appear to be at loss-leader prices right now was they vie for market share.

The chip shortage is partially an allocation problem and partially driven by IoT demand. Every toaster and fan is getting made "smart" and "connected" and when the auto manufacturers cancelled their chip orders because new car demand dipped a little bit they put themselves in a worse situation. Cadillac shipped partially finished luxury vehicles because they couldn't get controller chips for power seats, saying they'll install them later. That's brand-damaging and expensive. You can't get an Audi Q4 in Canada with 360 cameras because lack of semiconductors. This isn't some "convenient excuse," it's a very inconvenient situation, and nobody in the automobile industry benefits.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
124 Posts
The wait list for the EV6 is now a year
I am curious to know if you have seen any timelines for orders placed last month? I know that all new orders from now are 2023 (is it actually confirmed to be 1 year?), but what are the expected deliveries for earlier orders? I am contemplating walking away from my order placed in January and rejoining the queue with a different dealer due to extra charge shenanigans that I don't want to entertain. If the difference is a few months, I'll walk and wait the extra time, but if the timeline increases by 6+ months I will have to figure out what to do.

Cheers!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
199 Posts
Waiting might prove to be expensive.
With the shortage of lithium and other battery materials, I would expect the MSRP to increase in the next model year.
As Robby says above trade-in valuations are incredibly high right now, for how long they will stay high nobody knows but there are already signs of the chip shortages easing so I want to pull the trigger now. If trade-ins go back to anywhere near normal I would be looking at several thousand less or my trade-in.
The EV6 qualifies for iZev right now. If prices go up it may not.
How about hedging your bets by putting down a second refundable deposit with a different dealer that you like.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
124 Posts
Waiting might prove to be expensive.
With the shortage of lithium and other battery materials, I would expect the MSRP to increase in the next model year.
As Robby says above trade-in valuations are incredibly high right now, for how long they will stay high nobody knows but there are already signs of the chip shortages easing so I want to pull the trigger now. If trade-ins go back to anywhere near normal I would be looking at several thousand less or my trade-in.
The EV6 qualifies for iZev right now. If prices go up it may not.
How about hedging your bets by putting down a second refundable deposit with a different dealer that you like.
That is plan at the moment. I have a contact at another dealer but he isn't working today, so I'll hit them up first thing tomorrow morning and place a second refundable deposit. The logic is that by the time the first car arrives, I should at least be able to know the timeline on the second one and can make a more informed decision.

With regards to the used car market, it is certainly a risk although I don't see the prices tanking any time soon. Chip shortages in other industries are not going to be alleviated this year, but I haven't seen any data for automotive chips.

Either way, with every passing day, things can change. At this time, the dealer is refusing to give me a trade in appraisal since it is so far out which adds more complexity to the deal. It is hard to know if the cost will meet my expectations given that a huge chunk of my "payment" is in the form of a trade.

Speaking of which, are people able to get trade in values for 8+ months away? I am curious to know what other experiences people have.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
199 Posts
I have not negotiated my trade-in yet. This is the area where I am prepared to walk if I don't get fair value. (I know my trade-in value because I already have a very good offer from my Honda dealer).
If the bloody stupid, anti-consumer tax law did not tilt the playing field so much in the selling dealers' favor then I would not have any issues.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
124 Posts
I have not negotiated my trade-in yet. This is the area where I am prepared to walk if I don't get fair value. (I know my trade-in value because I already have a very good offer from my Honda dealer).
If the bloody stupid, anti-consumer tax law did not tilt the playing field so much in the selling dealers' favor then I would not have any issues.
Kia's website themselves have a "trade in value estimator" feature which actually gives you a range for wholesale (what dealers typically pay). It's not perfect by any means, but it is a good starting point for those of you in the same boat. Personally I would walk away if they do not meet that range. I realize it will be less than market value, but I am taking the financial hit for expediency and because I don't want to deal with a private sale. That doesn't mean I want to get walked all over though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
39 Posts
That is plan at the moment. I have a contact at another dealer but he isn't working today, so I'll hit them up first thing tomorrow morning and place a second refundable deposit. The logic is that by the time the first car arrives, I should at least be able to know the timeline on the second one and can make a more informed decision.

With regards to the used car market, it is certainly a risk although I don't see the prices tanking any time soon. Chip shortages in other industries are not going to be alleviated this year, but I haven't seen any data for automotive chips.

Either way, with every passing day, things can change. At this time, the dealer is refusing to give me a trade in appraisal since it is so far out which adds more complexity to the deal. It is hard to know if the cost will meet my expectations given that a huge chunk of my "payment" is in the form of a trade.

Speaking of which, are people able to get trade in values for 8+ months away? I am curious to know what other experiences people have.
I was able to get my trade-in value now for early next year because I was pretty stubborn I need it now or else I was leaving to go to Hyundai who did actually give me a trade-in value for the end of the year.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
I am curious to know if you have seen any timelines for orders placed last month? I know that all new orders from now are 2023 (is it actually confirmed to be 1 year?), but what are the expected deliveries for earlier orders? I am contemplating walking away from my order placed in January and rejoining the queue with a different dealer due to extra charge shenanigans that I don't want to entertain. If the difference is a few months, I'll walk and wait the extra time, but if the timeline increases by 6+ months I will have to figure out what to do.

Cheers!
I am in the same boat. My dealer is unfortunately charging what they call "quick order package" as well as an inspection fee which is just nonsense and I am potentially walking away from the deal if they don't flex and also depending on how long will it take to get another order in place with a different dealer.
 
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Top