Kia EV6 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

· Registered
2023 EV6 Wind RWD + Tech
593 Posts
I've seen people with preconditioning confirm that yes, this cancels preconditioning (and the built-in nav, which we can confirm).

In general, I think the way to handle this is to mount the phone and not connect to Android Auto and run Google maps independently so that if Google and the built-in nav disagree, you can see it.
Oh okay. I hope there's a better workaround. I will always be connecting my phone for Android Auto. It's so much easier to navigate podcasts. I wouldn't want to just use Bluetooth audio.

I wonder if one workaround (though expensive) would be to use one of those multimedia boxes that connect via CarPlay. They run full versions of Android and are essentially headless (no screen) Android tablets. The car won't be able to tell if a navigation app is running on that device so it hopefully would let the built-in navigation run in the background.

· Registered
27 Posts
Would anyone here happen to have an email contact for Kia Canada? We need this battery preconditioning badly up here!
The email addresses I have:[email protected] Director, Customer Experience
[email protected] Elias El-Achhab, Chief Operating Officer at Kia Canada Inc.
[email protected] Sungwon Kwon, President and CEO

this is the email I sent:
I have owned a Kia EV6 GT 1 since May of 2021. While generally happy with the car, the way the car is configured renders it lame in Canadian winters. I knew range would be limited in the winter but without preconditioning, travel of any distance in the winter is problematic. I understand that the Ioniq 5 and European EV6s have this feature but we do not. In our climate this is unacceptable. Please remedy this situation ASAP.

While I am communicating with you, I would like you to speak to whomever deals with the App. We cannot use Apple watch, Alexa or Google home like they can in the elsewhere. We cannot schedule in car climate without being plugged in no start the seat heating from the app.

Could you please let me know when I can expect to see preconditioning for my EV6.

Regards,

· Registered
1 of 300 ON, GTA
157 Posts
The Canada campaign should maybe be spun out into a new thread to keep this Q&A easy to read.
Just a suggestion. In the Canadian subforum I started the following thread on December 23rd:
Is Battery Pre-Conditioning Ever Coming to the Canadian MY22 EV6?

It has had at least 450 views, three thumbs up, but absolutely no replies. So available as a related thread to tack on too. Perhaps the moderator could move a few related posts from here to there. Assuming everyone agrees.

I'd be happy to edit the title, or the post as well if useful to make it more relevent. Alternatively I could ask the moderator to delete the thread so that someone can make a fresh start. Let me know. Thx.

· Registered
105 Posts
Just to clarify, how can I know that a charger entered into the car's nav, is actually understood by the car as a charger and will have pre-con active on the way there? Is there a specific icon for the destination?

· Registered
2023 EV6 Wind RWD + Tech
593 Posts
Just to clarify, how can I know that a charger entered into the car's nav, is actually understood by the car as a charger and will have pre-con active on the way there? Is there a specific icon for the destination?
To confirm it's entered correctly in the database, the charger in the POI search results must say "DC" or "DC+". You'll also see a heating coil icon on the battery symbol and a message regarding preconditioning when you're about 30 minutes from arriving at the DCFC.

· Registered
10 Posts
For everyone asking why the preconditioning update is so important here is a great video from Kyle on Out of Spec reviews. He compares an Ioniq 5 with the update to an EV6. The updated Ioniq5 starts charging at 200kw while the EV6 was sitting at 45kw after already being plugged in for a few mins. Huge difference, we need this update!

· Registered
F.E. 208/1500 Matte Gray
358 Posts
I have a first edition, is this update available in the US for Preconditioning or are only newer models coming with it? I asked my dealership to look into, seeing I have to come back for a upgrade to my amp/woofer (one of those ones that could melt)

· Registered
2023 EV6 Wind RWD + Tech
593 Posts
I have a first edition, is this update available in the US for Preconditioning or are only newer models coming with it? I asked my dealership to look into, seeing I have to come back for a upgrade to my amp/woofer (one of those ones that could melt)
Kia has not released the preconditioning update anywhere outside of Europe. It was only released in North America by parent company Hyundai for their branded vehicles.

Only some very late 2022s and all 2023 EV6s have preconditioning from the factory.

· Registered
2023 EV6 Wind RWD + Tech
593 Posts
For everyone asking why the preconditioning update is so important here is a great video from Kyle on Out of Spec reviews. He compares an Ioniq 5 with the update to an EV6. The updated Ioniq5 starts charging at 200kw while the EV6 was sitting at 45kw after already being plugged in for a few mins. Huge difference, we need this update!
Great video by Kyle at Out of Spec, although the first 5 minutes can be skipped since he was talking about the partially off topic Eco Mode change. I really wish more people would do YouTube videos about E-GMP cars. At least I'll be able to starting on Friday.

You can't fault Kyle since he doesn't daily drive the Ioniq 5, but it would have been nice if he went over the ways to circumvent (or "hack") the built-in preconditioning to work with Android Auto/Apple CarPlay. You just have to jump back and forth between the in-car nav and Android Auto. Also Kyle didn't use the best screen on the Car Scanner app to show all the battery data.

· Registered
2 Posts
5. Will 2022 RWD EV6s or Niros get battery preconditioning? I don't know the answer to this question. If you don't have 'Winter Mode' in the EV settings page, you will likely never get preconditioning. It sounds like all EV6s were shipped with a battery heating system, unlike RWD Ioniq 5s in the US or Ioniq 5s without the Eco pack in the UK were. I don't believe Niros have a battery heating system.
Niro EVs DO have a battery heater and they WILL do preconditioning ... but only when the temperature is below -10 Celsius! So you're kind of screwed unless the weather is ridiculously freaking cold. Thankfully I live in California and have no plans to drive my Niro into Canada or something. I do plan to get an EV6 as my next car so I'll have preconditioning in case for some reason I decide to take that long a winter trip someday...

· Registered
2022 Kia EV6 Wind w/Tech AWD Glacier
5 Posts
I would also encourage people to submit an inquiry here: https://ksupport.kiausa.com/ConsumerAffairs
Will do. Kia needs to continue to hear from us, from all of us. In the U.S., I encourage all you to file a complaint with the office of your State Attorney General. The AG's office is required to follow up on consumer complaints; of which complaints related to auto's and the auto industry are the largest. Kia is not required to do anything about it, but if Kia keeps getting complaints filed through official channels such as the AG's office, perhaps it will nudge them. I filed my complaint under "Misrepresentation". I attached my complaint below. Feel free to use it. I also filed a complaint with the FTC under fraud / false advertisement. Again, these steps are to give us voice.

"Hyundai Motor Group (Kia and Hyundai) misrepresented a key feature of their new electric vehicle. This effects two models - the 2022 Kia EV6 and the 2022 Hyundai Ioniq 5. That key feature is now available via a software update; which they have issued in Europe, however they told me they have no plans to offer it in the USA. Interestingly, this feature is now available via a software update for some 2022 Ioniq 5 models in the USA, and now comes standard on 2022 EV6 and Ioniq 5 built after Summer 2022. The feature is called battery preconditioning. This feature heats or cools the battery to the perfect temperature, and is necessary to get the fastest charging speed when charging the car. Kia has a feature in the car called Winter Mode that the Owner's Manual states will heat the battery for charging. The problem is that it does not heat it enough to improve charging speeds. It does not work as advertised, or as promised. I, along with other owners, understood that Winter Mode was battery preconditioning. It is not. We were led to believe this because the Owner's Manual and Kia's own press releases told us so. What we all now know is that it does not heat it enough. Kia already knew this. They made a software fix and chose to only release it in one area of the world, or to only some of the owners of Ioniq 5 in the USA thereby excluding a class of people with 2022 models purchased earlier in the year. Kia advertises being able to charge the vehicle from 10% to 80% in 18 minutes. Admittedly, the fine print states this is under ideal conditions -- however Winter Mode was supposed to create those ideal conditions. It simply does not, and constitutes false advertisement. Without preconditioning, charging takes over an hour on a cold day and is nowhere close to meeting their advertised claim. I want Kia to operate a business in good faith, and I want them to back their product. I simply want Kia to do two things. I want them to release the battery preconditioning software update to all 2022 EV6 models in the USA. I also want them to push future software updates as they become available; otherwise they disenfranchise owners of these, and similar vehicles, that depend on updates to maintain proper operation of the vehicle."

21 - 40 of 40 Posts