Kia EV6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I just got my EV6 and we’ll so upset about no charging cable is included on a 50 grand car. Oh well. Anyways in the app it says to use a 240V level 2 charger for the battery. I just got a basic 120V 16amp since I would need an electrician for the prior support. Will charging this slow have negative impact on the high voltage battery? Here is the pic from the Kia app and the part I’m talking about is near the top. Thank you.
Font Darkness Screenshot Number Terrestrial plant

·
Registered
EV6 Wind AWD + Tech Package
58 Posts
I just got a basic 120V 16amp since I would need an electrician for the prior support.
Beware that unless you are plugging this into a 20A circuit, you should actually be running this thing at 12A thanks to the 80% rule. Its a borderline scam, since almost nobody has 20A circuits in their garage.

Other than that, nothing wrong with charging at 1.4 kW, other than it'll be quite slow for such a big car.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It’s plugged into a 20 amp circuit. So do you think I’m good or should I get a 240V charger and new amp breaker? I do have space for a double pole breaker in my box. What do you mean by 80 percent rule? Oh this 20 amp breaker only has this one outlet on it for for stuff on my porch. So when charging the car nothing else is using that breaker.

·
Registered
58 Posts
It’s plugged into a 20 amp circuit. So do you think I’m good or should I get a 240V charger and new amp breaker? I do have space for a double pole breaker in my box. What do you mean by 80 percent rule? Oh this 20 amp breaker only has this one outlet on it for for stuff on my porch. So when charging the car nothing else is using that breaker.
That's great!

It shouldn't have a negative impact on the battery. At the full 16A the car will pull about 23 kW-hr in 12 hours, and it'll take about 40 hours to charge from zero. So it depends on your commute and errands and such.

The 80% rule is effectively a de-rating of home distribution wiring, breakers, etc in continuous duty applications. A 15A breaker will support a 12A continuous load, 20A breaker supports a 16A continuous load, and so on.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I would suggest a 240 outlet with a large breaker. Something dedicated if you can fit it into the breaker box. I don't have my EV6 yet, but i had to charge my Polestar 2 on 120v, 15amp outlet for 3 months and was limited in driving it to three days a week. Check to see if you utility has any type of program (credit or free charger) to help offset the cost of the wire and electrician; if worst case, there is the federal credit up to 30% or $2k.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Check to see if you utility has any type of program (credit or free charger) to help offset the cost of the wire and electrician; if worst case, there is the federal credit up to 30% or $2k.
You do realize that the 30% federal tax credit for that recently expired, so unless OP either already had his charger installed prior to 12/31/21 or else can go back in time and have one installed, said 30% credit won't help here.

·
Registered
104 Posts
You do realize that the 30% federal tax credit for that recently expired, so unless OP either already had his charger installed prior to 12/31/21 or else can go back in time and have one installed, said 30% credit won't help here.
I did not, that is why I stated that . . .
Some states have incentives to install in-home vehicle charging. Not sure if LA is one of them (I have my doubts). Numerous utilities too.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just got my EV6 this weekend but have had a Bolt EV since 2017...

Kia seems to assume that no one will be routinely charge at home at 120V (Level 1) since the cord that they supply as an expensive option is called a "Travelling Cord" and the Kia app shows the charge completion time based on you using a 240V charge - even if you're actually plugged into 120V.

I use the charge cord for the Bolt to charge the Kia and it works fine (after turning off the charge cord locking default). It just takes a long time to charge but since I use the vehicle for around 20 miles a day, it takes about 4 hours to recharge (I get 4-5 miles of charge per hour using 120v+12amps).

If I ever get to the point of needing to charge both vehicles simultaneously or if my driving patterns increased, then I'd opt to put in a 240V charger what could be used by either car (the location of the outlet and the length of the charge cord are factors here).

Remember that both Level 1 (120V+8-16Amps) and Level 2 (240V+16-48Amps) use CCS industry standard cords so a Level 1 or 2 cord from any vehicle (except Nissan Leafs which use a different system) can be used to charge your EV6 without an issue or impact on your warranty.

For longer trips, I rely on DC (Level 3) and Level 2 charging. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
58 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Remember that both Level 1 (120V+8-16Amps) and Level 2 (240V+16-48Amps) use CCS industry standard cords so a Level 1 or 2 cord from any vehicle (except Nissan Leafs which use a different system) can be used to charge your EV6 without an issue or impact on your warranty.
That's just a little mixed up. The Leaf's J1772 port is the same as everyone else's. The Leaf level-2 EVSE works just fine on the EV6 in either level-1 mode with the NEMA 6-15 plug or in level-2 mode with the NEMA 14-50 plug. Its the DC networks that are incompatible.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thank you guys for all the help. I’ll get a faster charger eventually since I have space on my breaker but just trying to save some cash after dropping a crap ton lol. By the NC doesn’t give you anything for an EV or EV charger. Nor does Duke Energy here. My best bet is if they renew the federal 30 percent this year. It may happen but I’m not counting on it.

·
Registered
EV6 wind 2022
18 Posts
I posted this in another thread but it is relevant here too:

Quite amazing that the EV6 does not come with any charging cable at all. We bitched about this enough that the dealer agreed to pay for a cable. We ordered one from Amazon for $160:
Schumacher SC1455 Portable EV Charger– Level 1 and Level 2, 16A, 240V
One thing that attracted me is that it has a 23-ft cord, so one can park quite some distance from a receptacle. Not an issue at home but it was very helpful when we stayed at an AirB&B for 4 days.

That said, the answer to your question depends on your driving pattern. Our daily use varies from 0 to 50 miles with occasional road trips where we use public charging stations. We will rely on an existing 110V receptacle in the garage for all home charging. This will easily put 50 miles into the battery overnight. We have the top charge limit set at 90% for daily use, then bump it up to 100% the night before leaving on a trip. If we should happen to get caught short, there is an Electrify America 350kW station three miles away.

If you drive >50 mi/day, then a 220V receptacle is called for. A basic 20-amp circuit that can be wired with 12-3 Romax will get you about 130 miles overnight. A NEMA 6-50 adapter, which uses an electric-range receptacle, would give you a nearly full charge overnight. For this you need a stronger charger than our Schumacher.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts