Kia EV6 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Tesla Model Y LR
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Basically, how does the ride compare? I am not talking about performance (cornering, etc.), but ride comfort of the EV6. I have a Y and I actually found the ride too harsh and I had the suspension replaced with adjustable coilovers.

Is the ride of the EV6 smoother or more harsh than the Y (or about the same)? I've read that the ride of the Ioniq 5 is pretty nice (i.e. smooth), but I prefer the looks of the EV6 and I was hoping that the ride is smooth enough.

Thanks,

Cliff

·
Registered
2022 EV6 Wind RWD
28 Posts
I've done some extensive test driving of the Model 3 and the Y. The 3 and the Y ride far, far harsher than my 911, for what value and/or reasoning I can not fathom. One of the big reasons we bought our EV6 instead of the Tesla was because the ride was more than acceptable, not squishy at all . . . I'd even go so far as to call it pleasant.

·
Registered
2020 Tesla Model Y LR
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've done some extensive test driving of the Model 3 and the Y. The 3 and the Y ride far, far harsher than my 911, for what value and/or reasoning I can not fathom. One of the big reasons we bought our EV6 instead of the Tesla was because the ride was more than acceptable, not squishy at all . . . I'd even go so far as to call it pleasant.
Thanks! So the EV6 was less harsh than the Model Y?

·
Registered
2022 EV6 Wind RWD
28 Posts
Thanks! So the EV6 was less harsh than the Model Y?
Absolutely! I wouldn't call the ride of the EV6 "Harsh" under any circumstances. Our development has (more than enough) speed bumps. The Y and the 3 would bang over then at anything over a slow walking pace. The EV6 is as accommodating on these speed bumps as my wife's BMW X5.

·
Registered
2020 Tesla Model Y LR
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Absolutely! I wouldn't call the ride of the EV6 "Harsh" under any circumstances. Our development has (more than enough) speed bumps. The Y and the 3 would bang over then at anything over a slow walking pace. The EV6 is as accommodating on these speed bumps as my wife's BMW X5.
Thanks! The EV6 will be replacing my wife's X3 so this sounds promising.

·
Registered
Kia EV6 First Edition Matte Grey
33 Posts
I cannot compare to model Y personally but I can say, coming from my old sedan, that the EV6 is a significantly more comfortable ride, especially in terms of how it handles bumps, dips, and potholes of which there are many in my area.

·
Registered
280 Posts
EV6 (I test drove Wind RWD and AWD) is definitely smoother than the Model Y (I own a 2022) but not a smooth and quiet as the Ioniq 5 to me. It's smoother than a Mach-E also.

That's the best comparable to me - an improved Mach-E (non GTPE) in terms of suspension.

Make sure your wife is okay with the slightly cramped interior. Remember the car is more wagon/sedan than crossover - it's on the lower end of space. Somebody posted comparison photos of the EV6 with the I-Pace.

Wheel Car Land vehicle Sky Tire
Car Land vehicle Vehicle Wheel Vehicle registration plate

·
Registered
2020 KIA Telluride and 2022 KIA EV6 GT-Line First Edition
64 Posts
@Robocheme it is an interesting comparison. The Model Y AWD is basically a direct competitor to the FE GT-Line AWD. Specs are very similar and so is price. I think the styling of the EV6 is far better and the EV6 seems packed with more technology. The big thing Tesla has is "self driving" which adds $12,000 to the price above the EV6 and it doesn't even work fully autonomous. Tesla is ahead of everyone else, but still a few years away from perfecting the technology. Tesla has a minimalist design strategy, with one touch screen in the middle and very few controls/buttons. The EV6 has two wide screens, heads up display, nice climate controls, shifter and more. Yes it is less minimalist, but it also makes it easier to access the technology. EV6 is like a spaceship cockpit. The Model Y is like a Mac monitor mounted in the middle of the dash. I love Elon Musk, love his vision, but EV6 is the first serious competition to the Model Y. Competition is good for the EV industry.

·
Registered
EV6 FE
47 Posts
@Robocheme it is an interesting comparison. The Model Y AWD is basically a direct competitor to the FE GT-Line AWD. Specs are very similar and so is price. I think the styling of the EV6 is far better and the EV6 seems packed with more technology. The big thing Tesla has is "self driving" which adds $12,000 to the price above the EV6 and it doesn't even work fully autonomous. Tesla is ahead of everyone else, but still a few years away from perfecting the technology. Tesla has a minimalist design strategy, with one touch screen in the middle and very few controls/buttons. The EV6 has two wide screens, heads up display, nice climate controls, shifter and more. Yes it is less minimalist, but it also makes it easier to access the technology. EV6 is like a spaceship cockpit. The Model Y is like a Mac monitor mounted in the middle of the dash. I love Elon Musk, love his vision, but EV6 is the first serious competition to the Model Y. Competition is good for the EV industry.
Elon is not going to like your comment about "Mac Monitor Mounter" ;-). He likes to butt heads with Apple. :cool:

·
Registered
64 Posts
@Ev6 I am pretty sure Elon isn't trolling Kia forums. He probably just laughed when he heard Kia was making the EV6. That is ok, I like that KIA is a sleeper brand. People underestimate the brand and they will be blown away. When my friends first got inside my Telluride, they were saying how it was nicer than Honda and looked luxury.

Back to Tesla design. I am pretty sure they just mounted an iMac on the dash and called it good. Must have been a tiring day at Tesla for the designers. The design team says, "Should we mount the monitor horizontal or vertical." Musk, "Lets do horizontal so it is totally different than the Model S," Design team say, "Wow Elon, you are a genius."
Car Vehicle White Motor vehicle Automotive design
Computer Output device Water Personal computer Television

·
Registered
2020 Tesla Model Y LR
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks, everyone! I almost just reserved a blue EV6 GT-line RWD, but then I found out that it has white seats, which is a no-go for us.
As for Tesla's minimalist interior, I remember being disappointed when I first saw the Model 3's interior back in 2015, but I bought one anyway in 2017. I quickly got used to it and now when I get in other cars, I don't like all of the buttons and knobs. It just feels so cluttered and cramped.
I really don't think that Tesla's Autopilot can be improved. It's part of the basic package and is restricted to the freeways. It's been flawless for me. Tesla's FSD (full self driving) is another story. It's for city streets and it's got a long, long ways to go. I should know since I'm a FSD Beta tester. No way it's worth the extra $12K. I just wish people would recognize the difference between the two systems.
I love my Model Y, but buying the same car again would be boring.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Thanks, everyone! I almost just reserved a blue EV6 GT-line RWD, but then I found out that it has white seats, which is a no-go for us.
As for Tesla's minimalist interior, I remember being disappointed when I first saw the Model 3's interior back in 2015, but I bought one anyway in 2017. I quickly got used to it and now when I get in other cars, I don't like all of the buttons and knobs. It just feels so cluttered and cramped.
I really don't think that Tesla's Autopilot can be improved. It's part of the basic package and is restricted to the freeways. It's been flawless for me. Tesla's FSD (full self driving) is another story. It's for city streets and it's got a long, long ways to go. I should know since I'm a FSD Beta tester. No way it's worth the extra $12K. I just wish people would recognize the difference between the two systems.
I love my Model Y, but buying the same car again would be boring.
Sorry I used the wrong terminology. You are correct I was referring to FSD. Kia has similar autopilot features. I have not used them on my EV6 yet, but have used the speed adjusting cruise and auto steering on my Telluride for a couple years. That works great on my Telluride, so I expect similar on the EV6. I am still figuring out other features and have not messed with the autopilot stuff yet.

I am pretty sure that the minimalist design in the Model 3 and Model Y was a cost reduction exercise more than a design choice. I prefer the Model S and Model X interior, but a hundred plus for a vehicle is out of my range.

I am actually surprised a Tesla owner would even consider a KIA. Most Tesla owners I know are pretty much Tesla snobs, haha. Much respect to Elon Musk for building that type of cult following. I would have bought a Cybertruck if they could get their production under control. That is one area that KIA and most ICE manufacturers still lead Tesla. I think Tesla is finally figuring it out, but how many Cybertruck customers did they lose as they got beat to market by others.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Ride is just a function of spring rate and shock dampening. If you don't like it, both of those parts are easy to change. Higher quality dampers like Koni, Ohlins, etc. can be both smoother and offer less body roll. The Model Y is 45% more expensive than the EV6 wind awd after federal and CO state credits, so any Kia owner will have plenty of extra funds to customize the ride regardless of how it feels stock.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Having driven the Model Y, Ioniq 5, EV6 and XC40 Recharge within the last few weeks an being a current owner of a Model 3, I would say that the ride on the EV6 is quite a bit better than both Teslas which tend to be a bit crashy when the road is less than smooth.
I had the opportunity to take a G Line AWD for a test drive yesterday and I thought it rode very well, the ride was ry well controlled and not as squishy as the Ioniq 5. Firm but well damped and quite comfortable. The steering had little feel but neither does that of the Model 3/Y.

·
Registered
2020 Tesla Model Y LR
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ride is just a function of spring rate and shock dampening. If you don't like it, both of those parts are easy to change. Higher quality dampers like Koni, Ohlins, etc. can be both smoother and offer less body roll. The Model Y is 45% more expensive than the EV6 wind awd after federal and CO state credits, so any Kia owner will have plenty of extra funds to customize the ride regardless of how it feels stock.
Thanks. I had to do that with my Model Y. I had adjustable coilovers installed. That worked well and the ride improved considerably, but I'd rather not go through that hassle and cost again.

·
Registered
2020 Tesla Model Y LR
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Having driven the Model Y, Ioniq 5, EV6 and XC40 Recharge within the last few weeks an being a current owner of a Model 3, I would say that the ride on the EV6 is quite a bit better than both Teslas which tend to be a bit crashy when the road is less than smooth.
I had the opportunity to take a G Line AWD for a test drive yesterday and I thought it rode very well, the ride was ry well controlled and not as squishy as the Ioniq 5. Firm but well damped and quite comfortable. The steering had little feel but neither does that of the Model 3/Y.
This is exactly the observation that I was hoping to hear. Thanks

·
Registered
280 Posts
I don't think it's that easy with EVs weighing 4500+ lbs. There are very few options. It's like the tires used in EV (103+ high load index) - not overly common.

Mach-E owners have been dealing with suspension issues for a year now with no real third party solution (except maybe Steeda who are actively developing rear suspension upgrade)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts