Kia EV6 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

Registered
Kia EV6 GT-Line AWD in Aurora Black Pearl
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A week ago I headed from Cincinnati to Milwaukee in my AWD GT-Line to deal with family issues. I thought I'd share some random thoughts after a week being here.

1. A Better Route Planner is great, but it doesn't understand traffic congestion issues. I had two stops en route -- a Walmart parking lot in Lafayette, Indiana that had open 350 kWh chargers, and a Target that was basically in downtown Chicago with 150 kWh chargers. The Lafayette charger was great, though as a newbie to this it took me more effort than it should have. (Lesson: practice at a charger near home before heading out on a long drive.) The Target charger was fine, but the congestion getting from it to the toll road cost me at least 30 minutes. I will look for alternatives in the future using this web site: GoElectricDrive - Accelerate the Good, Powered by EDTA |

2. 16 amp level 1 charging is not bad. I'm staying at my brother's place, and the garage has a 20 amp outlet. I have a Keruida Level 1 EV Charger (Amazon link which helps the charity I run) and set it to 16 amps and it has worked wonderfully overnight. I like the ability to adjust the current based on the circuit -- I can dial down to 12 amps for 15 amp circuits.

3. While I thought I was past range anxiety after the easy drive up to Milwaukee, today was a bit odd. After many errands I was down to 39% charge and decided to head to a nearby DC Fast chargers on the EVGo network. The app showed it was fine. It wasn't. After plugging in and trying to enable the charge, I called their tech support and learned that the charger was dead, even though it looked fine. Bad form EVGo. A dead charger should (a) not show OK on your app and (b) not show OK at the charger. I then headed to the Harley Davidson headquarters, where there are two level 2 AC chargers and one DC Fast charger on the ChargePoint network. The charger display was nearly impossible to read due to the sun, and after plugging in and hearing the familiar hum of a charge starting, it stopped with an "Internal error" kind of error message. At this point I was down to 33% and feeling a bit -- well -- stressed. I headed to the nearest Walmart that has eight DC Fast chargers. When I go there, two were in use - a Bolt and an Etron. It looked like all were 150 kWh, so I plugged in, fired it up, and headed inside to cool off. Well, there were four 350 kWh chargers that I missed. Live and learn (I'll use this location again). Charged to 80% in about 19 minutes and headed home, where I plugged into the level 1 AC to top off.

4. The weather changed dramatically in the past week. When I arrived, it was about 70 degrees F (21 C), so the climate control system wasn't stressed. Today it was 83 F (28 C) and very humid, and I cranked the AC to keep myself comfortable, which -- as expected -- reduced the expected range. I'm pretty sure that our cars will like spring and fall weather better than winter and summer (kind of like most people). My take away is to charge more often, even for an hour or two, when it's hot. Every bit of energy matters.

5. After having driven mostly on Eco mode, I'm completely satisfied with it. Sport is a hoot for sure, but Eco has more than enough power whenever it's needed and can beat pretty much any car to the next stop light if one is so inclined.

6. I love this car. I've had some amazing cars in my 63 years -- a Datsun 280z (yes, Datsun - not NIssan), a Honda S2000, an Audi S6 with the V10 beast of an engine, and an Audi R8 which I still have. The EV6 is as much fun as I've had in a car. It's changed how I think about cars, though some of that could be simply that I'm getting older. The EV6 is incredibly comfortable, surreally quiet, more than fast enough when you want it to be, technologically amazing, and great fun to drive. After about 1,400 miles, I cannot imagine ever buying an ICE car again.

To my fellow EV6 drivers, safe travels.

[Corrected error -- it was a 280z ... typo'd]

Registered
A week ago I headed from Cincinnati to Milwaukee in my AWD GT-Line to deal with family issues. I thought I'd share some random thoughts after a week being here.

1. A Better Route Planner is great, but it doesn't understand traffic congestion issues. I had two stops en route -- a Walmart parking lot in Lafayette, Indiana that had open 350 kWh chargers, and a Target that was basically in downtown Chicago with 150 kWh chargers. The Lafayette charger was great, though as a newbie to this it took me more effort than it should have. (Lesson: practice at a charger near home before heading out on a long drive.) The Target charger was fine, but the congestion getting from it to the toll road cost me at least 30 minutes. I will look for alternatives in the future using this web site: GoElectricDrive - Accelerate the Good, Powered by EDTA |

2. 16 amp level 1 charging is not bad. I'm staying at my brother's place, and the garage has a 20 amp outlet. I have a Keruida Level 1 EV Charger (Amazon link which helps the charity I run) and set it to 16 amps and it has worked wonderfully overnight. I like the ability to adjust the current based on the circuit -- I can dial down to 12 amps for 15 amp circuits.

3. While I thought I was past range anxiety after the easy drive up to Milwaukee, today was a bit odd. After many errands I was down to 39% charge and decided to head to a nearby DC Fast chargers on the EVGo network. The app showed it was fine. It wasn't. After plugging in and trying to enable the charge, I called their tech support and learned that the charger was dead, even though it looked fine. Bad form EVGo. A dead charger should (a) not show OK on your app and (b) not show OK at the charger. I then headed to the Harley Davidson headquarters, where there are two level 2 AC chargers and one DC Fast charger on the ChargePoint network. The charger display was nearly impossible to read due to the sun, and after plugging in and hearing the familiar hum of a charge starting, it stopped with an "Internal error" kind of error message. At this point I was down to 33% and feeling a bit -- well -- stressed. I headed to the nearest Walmart that has eight DC Fast chargers. When I go there, two were in use - a Bolt and an Etron. It looked like all were 150 kWh, so I plugged in, fired it up, and headed inside to cool off. Well, there were four 350 kWh chargers that I missed. Live and learn (I'll use this location again). Charged to 80% in about 19 minutes and headed home, where I plugged into the level 1 AC to top off.

4. The weather changed dramatically in the past week. When I arrived, it was about 70 degrees F (21 C), so the climate control system wasn't stressed. Today it was 83 F (28 C) and very humid, and I cranked the AC to keep myself comfortable, which -- as expected -- reduced the expected range. I'm pretty sure that our cars will like spring and fall weather better than winter and summer (kind of like most people). My take away is to charge more often, even for an hour or two, when it's hot. Every bit of energy matters.

5. After having driven mostly on Eco mode, I'm completely satisfied with it. Sport is a hoot for sure, but Eco has more than enough power whenever it's needed and can beat pretty much any car to the next stop light if one is so inclined.

6. I love this car. I've had some amazing cars in my 63 years -- a Datsun 270z (yes, Datsun - not NIssan), a Honda S2000, an Audi S6 with the V10 beast of an engine, and an Audi R8 which I still have. The EV6 is as much fun as I've had in a car. It's changed how I think about cars, though some of that could be simply that I'm getting older. The EV6 is incredibly comfortable, surreally quiet, more than fast enough when you want it to be, technologically amazing, and great fun to drive. After about 1,400 miles, I cannot imagine ever buying an ICE car again.

Totally agree, I have about 2K miles on mine and it's one of my favorite cars I've ever owned, among them Mercedes Sport, Infiniti G37, Mazda 6 Touring, Golf TDI. It is indeed a great car.

Registered
2022 Kia EV6 Wind AWD +Tech pkg

6. I love this car. I've had some amazing cars in my 63 years -- a Datsun 270z (yes, Datsun - not NIssan), a Honda S2000, an Audi S6 with the V10 beast of an engine, and an Audi R8 which I still have. The EV6 is as much fun as I've had in a car. It's changed how I think about cars, though some of that could be simply that I'm getting older. The EV6 is incredibly comfortable, surreally quiet, more than fast enough when you want it to be, technologically amazing, and great fun to drive. After about 1,400 miles, I cannot imagine ever buying an ICE car again.

Excellent report, thank you. I've had similar negative experiences with three different EVgo locations in south Florida.

Premium Member

Datsun 270z is on my top 10. Great post. Best wishes to you and your family.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts