Kia EV6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the Wind AWD EV6 and during the summer I was getting about 230 miles when I charged to 80%. Now in the winter I’m getting only 140 miles when charged to 80%. This is with winter mode turned on.. it’s very frustrating, I was expecting somewhat of a drop off during the winter but not that drastic

Attachments

· Registered
2022 EV6 GT-Line AWD
59 Posts
I have the Wind AWD EV6 and during the summer I was getting about 230 miles when I charged to 80%. Now in the winter I’m getting only 140 miles when charged to 80%. This is with winter mode turned on.. it’s very frustrating, I was expecting somewhat of a drop off during the winter but not that drastic
Winter mode will use some battery.
Heated seats and steering use battery.
Normal heat will use battery.

i see a drop from 3.1 to 2.2 initially then it rises to 2.7 or so. Short trips in winter are expensive….

· Registered
2022 Kia EV6 FE #0882 Urban Yellow
222 Posts
Winter mode isn't really appropriate for full-time use. HMG recommends using it just before (10-15 minutes) fast charging to improve charge rate (but more battery consumption while engaged). The expected preconditioning North American software update (dealer install) will make this automatic.

While cold weather range reduction is expected, you might want to review the HMG tips here:

· Registered
2022 Gravity Blue EV6 AWD w/ Tech Package
345 Posts
Use the heated seats and steering wheel to keep warm as it is more efficient for passenger heating than using the HVAC system, then use the cabin heating to just keep it warm enough in the cabin.

· Registered
2022 Gravity Blue EV6 AWD w/ Tech Package
345 Posts
Winter mode isn't really appropriate for full-time use. HMG recommends using it just before (10-15 minutes) fast charging to improve charge rate (but more battery consumption while engaged). The expected preconditioning North American software update (dealer install) will make this automatic.

While cold weather range reduction is expected, you might want to review the HMG tips here:
People testing Winter mode with an OBD2 dongle and Youtubers have noted that it does not activate the battery heater until temps are <14F or once plugged into a DCFC.

· Registered
222 Posts
People testing Winter mode with an OBD2 dongle and Youtubers have noted that it does not activate the battery heater until temps are <14F or once plugged into a DCFC.
I read the same reports. Regardless, what I said follows the HMG tips in the link. Maybe dead of winter in the coldest states/provinces would benefit running just before charging, but no need to leave winter mode enabled.

I second the use of seat and steering wheel heat (if available) to offset the need for cabin heat. That's what I do, but I live where it rarely gets bitterly cold (Virginia).

· Registered
301 Posts
I've noticed similar efficiency numbers, but since most of my driving is local and I can charge whenever I need to at home then I'm not very concerned.

Granted, it could be an issue on long road trips with sparse fast charger density. In that case slow down a bit and you will return some of that lost efficiency. But I would only do that if fast charger density is uncomfortably low

· Registered
426 Posts
I’ve left Winter Mode enabled for the last several months. I don’t think I’ve ever seen Battery Care consume any power in either the electricity use screen or the trip reports. My battery hasn’t cold soaked in below 14° F weather yet, so that may be why. My efficiency is at or greater than what my Model 3 delivered in similar temps.

From my perspective up here in Minnesota, I don’t think this makes any sense.

· Registered
2023 EV6 Wind RWD + Tech
618 Posts
I have the Wind AWD EV6 and during the summer I was getting about 230 miles when I charged to 80%. Now in the winter I’m getting only 140 miles when charged to 80%.
Has your energy consumption changed? Please tell us your mi/kWh (or km/kWh). Going off numbers from the range estimator or GOM isn't accurate enough.

· Registered
30 Posts
Question- is “Winter Mode” different than Snow mode?

Seeing about a 20-25 percent reduction in range vs. summer driving. Wind AWD no tech package, 19 inch OEM Kumhos. Colorado front range - my commute is 60 miles each way at highway speeds of 70-75mph most of the time. In summer this took 40 percent battery, in winter it is taking 50 percent - same tires, maybe somewhat windier conditions as well. Temps in the 20s to 30s this past month have resulted in around 3.0 m/kWh (vs. closer to 4.0 m/kWh over the summer) on same drive. Primarily ECO mode with forays into Normal and occasional Snow mode. Range at 80 percent was around 250miles over summer, now closer to 200.

Font Gadget Electronic device Multimedia Screenshot

· Registered
426 Posts
Question- is “Winter Mode” different than Snow mode?
Yes. Winter mode is buried into the EV settings in your navigation screen. From what I can tell, it triggers the battery warmer when the battery temp goes below 14* F to keep the battery warm enough to deliver full power.

Snow mode is a driving mode that you select with your steering wheel button. It forces the front motor to stay locked in, permits a bit more wheelspin, and reduces regen down to level 1. Winter Mode is about the battery; Snow mode is about the drive.

Seeing about a 20-25 percent reduction in range vs. summer driving. Wind AWD no tech package, 19 inch OEM Kumhos. Colorado front range - my commute is 60 miles each way at highway speeds of 70-75mph most of the time. In summer this took 40 percent battery, in winter it is taking 50 percent - same tires, maybe somewhat windier conditions as well. Temps in the 20s to 30s this past month have resulted in around 3.0 m/kWh (vs. closer to 4.0 m/kWh over the summer) on same drive. Primarily ECO mode with forays into Normal and occasional Snow mode. Range at 80 percent was around 250miles over summer, now closer to 200.
That's about what I would in moderate temperatures. I would lose as much as 50% of rated range in my Tesla down at 0*. I'd expect to lose a bit less in the EV6 because of some of the efficiency improvements that my '19 Model 3 didn't have, but it's still going to be big. No two ways about it; cold weather takes a LOT of energy.

Reactions: EVNoobie

· Registered
30 Posts
Yes. Winter mode is buried into the EV settings in your navigation screen. From what I can tell, it triggers the battery warmer when the battery temp goes below 14* F to keep the battery warm enough to deliver full power.

Snow mode is a driving mode that you select with your steering wheel button. It forces the front motor to stay locked in, permits a bit more wheelspin, and reduces regen down to level 1. Winter Mode is about the battery; Snow mode is about the drive.

That's about what I would in moderate temperatures. I would lose as much as 50% of rated range in my Tesla down at 0*. I'd expect to lose a bit less in the EV6 because of some of the efficiency improvements that my '19 Model 3 didn't have, but it's still going to be big. No two ways about it; cold weather takes a LOT of energy.
Thanks - was unaware of Winter Mode! Hasn’t really gotten that cold here yet, but will check it out. Assume it must be manually selected, or does the vehicle auto select it if temperatures are low enough? Surprised you saw that much degradation in the Tesla at low temps- have read that their batteries are the least impacted by cold temps of all of the EVs out there…talking to friends with late model Tesla 3s and Ys they seem to agree that temps have little impact on their range. We seldom get subzero where I am at however.

· Registered
EV6 Wind AWD Glacier White
83 Posts
I'm in Cali and the last month it's been in the high 30's - mid 50's and I've noticed a 12% drop in efficiency across the board. Temperature does affect efficiency and Tesla isn't immune to colder temps.

· Registered
426 Posts
Thanks - was unaware of Winter Mode! Hasn’t really gotten that cold here yet, but will check it out. Assume it must be manually selected, or does the vehicle auto select it if temperatures are low enough? Surprised you saw that much degradation in the Tesla at low temps- have read that their batteries are the least impacted by cold temps of all of the EVs out there…talking to friends with late model Tesla 3s and Ys they seem to agree that temps have little impact on their range. We seldom get subzero where I am at however.
Range loss has nothing to do with the battery. It’s a myth that won’t die, which is why I’m always that one dude on every forum pounding the desk and shouting about it. Perhaps I should settle down. 🧐

It’s all about increased energy consumption because of the colder conditions. Batteries sometimes need energy to be warmed. It takes a lot more power to heat the cabin than it does cool it down, and the colder air is more dense which increases wind resistance. Snow and ice also effectively increases rolling resistance because you’re having to push the snow out of the way with your tires as you roll over it.

My Model 3 didn’t have some of the energy saving wizardry that my EV6 does. It had single-pane side glass and a glass roof that didn’t insulate as well. It exclusively relied on a PTC resistive heater to heat the cabin, which is less efficient than my EV6’s heat pump. And Tesla tends to overestimate their EPA range in ways that most others don’t. The car was rated for 240 miles of range, but there was no circumstance where I could make that happen. In contrast, my AWD EV6 went 296 miles last summer between charge stops on a road trip, which is greater than EPA range.

Your friends may be paying attention to the range estimate on their screen, which doesn’t change with conditions. It’s a flat EPA range estimate based on battery, which made me switch it off in favor of percentage. Stroll on over to a Tesla forum of your choice and you’ll see plenty of people talking about winter range loss.

· Registered
2,073 Posts
Range loss has nothing to do with the battery. It’s a myth that won’t die, which is why I’m always that one dude on every forum pounding the desk and shouting about it. Perhaps I should settle down. 🧐
Same.

And I refer to what I said in April of this year....

And then we'll enjoy a few months of happy threads with photos from road trips before we deal with "I bought my car in June and was beating the EPA and now it's November and suddenly I lost 100 miles on the range. Is there's a problem with my car?" threads :LOL:

So predictable.

· Registered
30 Posts
Same.

And I refer to what I said in April of this year....

So predictable.
Sounds rather condescending - was simply posting my first year experiences in hopes of helping others new to the EV game, or considering getting rid of that ICE vehicle. Guess there are Trolls on all Forums these days. Hope you feel better soon.

· Registered
2,073 Posts
Sounds rather condescending - was simply posting my first year experiences in hopes of helping others new to the EV game, or considering getting rid of that ICE vehicle. Guess there are Trolls on all Forums these days. Hope you feel better soon.
Sorry you feel that way. It wasn’t directed at you (now that I look back, I see why. Because the quote I took from Tom was directed at you so indirectly, you’d think I was talking about you. Sorry about that).

Yes there will be a lot of new owners who have never driven a hybrid or PHEV or EV before and will be shocked at the large difference is available range between the seasons, much more so than the typical ICE.

Each EV will behave differently depending on how the manufacturer set up their vehicles for winter driving (does it scavenge heat from the drivetrain, does it have a heat pump and if so, how efficient? Does it have smaller wheels for efficiency? What about tire compound? Body type? [a sedan is quicker to warm up than a SUV due to a smaller cabin] etc)

· Registered
92 Posts

There is no evidence that Kia USA will be providing preconditioning to early 2022 vehicles.

· Registered
222 Posts
There is no evidence that Kia USA will be providing preconditioning to early 2022 vehicles.
I'll be very surprised if KIA USA doesn't. It is already available in Europe for MY2022 EV6s, there are plenty of US/Canada users who will benefit, and (according to HMG) all EV6s are equipped for it. It is an optional dealer installed "retrofit" for MY2022 according to the EU press release (below). Interesting that this PR also mentions preconditioning activation below 21° Centigrade, which is considerably warmer than the apparent Winter Mode temperature.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts