Kia EV6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Kia EV6 GT line with a heat pump.
They advertise a range of 328 miles where do the get that from?
Fully charged on Eco mode, heating off, in daylight, mine says range is 269 miles

·
Registered
53 Posts
WLTP test figures - 30 mins in lab on rolling road so no wind resistance and I think 23°C. Simulation covers 52% urban, 48% extra urban - real world range obviously nowhere near those 'combined' figures, work on best of 80% or so so you're right on the money. Bear in mind tho you won't get anywhere near that on an A road/motorway journey at 70mph - EVs much more efficient in city driving

·
Registered
53 Posts
Fundamentally you need to reset expectations created by years of driving ICE cars - EVs are pretty much diametrically opposite in terms of efficiency ie greatest range in urban areas, much less efficient (in terms of range) on the open road

·
Registered
154 Posts
Fully charged on Eco mode, heating off, in daylight, mine says range is 269 miles
We were having the same conversation on another thread. @amdelamere61 had his Kia reset by a Kia tech via a software upgrade. According to his experience the EV6 has conservative range settings from factory. Not exactly sure but you should check out post #55 on this thread: EV6 Gt line - full charge

·
Registered
340 Posts
The predicted range on the car is affected by temperature, driving style and Kia’s algorithms.

Percentage battery remaining is a much more reliable figure so it’s worthwhile learning to monitor that in a way that helps you to assess how far you have left to go. Probably.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've got the same issue on mine too RWD GT-line, but I'm only getting up to 235 on a full charge ECO setting, temps are 60-75 degrees so definitely a problem. I sent the info from post #55 on this thread: EV6 Gt line - full charge to my dealer. Problem is these cars are so new dealers have no clue when it comes to a question that is not in the owners manual. :)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Remember EVs calculate a lot of different variables to determine range on the displays. Temp, previous history, accessories being used, and so on. To get a more accurate reading reset the trip computer to 0 and do a daily tracking of your drive history and so on so forth for about a week or 2 weeks and see how it is. If you reset to default factory settings it will reset to the max number of 310 miles/328km give or take a few. Then start monitoring it and see how it goes. With EVs you never really look at the GOM (Guess o Meter) for range just monitor the SOC (state of Charge) Percentange. The range will go up and down like it does in normal ICE vehicles but if you know the math for figuring it out then you can be more accurate on what it is.

If I remember correctly the math is kw consumption * 77.4 if I remember correctly and if you have the long range bigger battery. Those 2 numbers will give you what your range is. So for example if your consumption is 2.4kwh then you would multiply that by the 77.4 which equals 187 miles.

So key point here is how you drive your car and what your power consumption is. Remember could consumption is around the 3kwh area so try to be over that and your range will be good to go. I know it is winter and cold in England but in the summer should be a lot better on EVs.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Fundamentally you need to reset expectations created by years of driving ICE cars - EVs are pretty much diametrically opposite in terms of efficiency ie greatest range in urban areas, much less efficient (in terms of range) on the open road
some simple math to bear -- For the 77 kWh battery of a Wind, Kia expects their EV6 RWD to perform at much higher efficiency at "4miles /kWh" (derived by 310mi / 77.4kWh). However, for Kia's model Niro, the lower claimed range of ~230mi only takes 3.6mi/kWh (of a 64kWh battery) to meet their EPA specs much easier. some specs aren't fully justified in Kia's EV6 claims?

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Could this imply that the specs of 310mi range of EV6 in only a fantasy of Kia's engineers, could never be met by the customers of good faith??
You can easily achieve that in the city in the summer, I’m sure of it.

My experience with a PHEV helped me understand the variation in range and energy consumption in EV mode vs hybrid mode. An EV will have greater swings in range and consumption than a gas car (and even more than a hybrid, and a hybrid does have a larger swing in mpg than a gas car).

i can get 130-150% of the official combined range in the summer in my PHEV and I can get as low as 50% of the stated range in the winter - all city driving.

·
Registered
797 Posts
I have seen 4.x - 5.x mi/kwh in town (UK) on a regular basis at 5-10C temp outside, this is at 20 - 40mph, and motorway doing 65 - 70mph I was seeing 2.5m/kwh, however, since turning regen braking off at higher speeds and using the cars rolling momentum which seems to carry it a long way before speed drops I am now seeing almost 3.2mi/kwh. Test it out.

The bad thing is my car still shows a 240miles range at 100% battery.... despite this really good driving and mi/kwh numbers for over 10 days now, the EV6 range just won't go back up to what it was like the first week I got it, 310+miles on 100% battery. I think I managed to get it to 255 miles range on AC slow charging at home (8h!!!), but on DC faster-charging 50KW+ it never seems to go past 240miles.

Please test out zero regen braking at higher speeds, to see if this helps range, watch out, the car will shift a LOT faster with it off. Oh and BTW. I had heating at 19C some of the time while doing the above.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts