Kia EV6 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I wanted to test my theory that turning the HVAC off would help avoid the "coldgate" battery management charge throttling at Rapid chargers - spoiler alert - I was wrong.

I've actually been charging far less than I thought. There's a free 7Kw charger at our local supermarket and I have been known to sit there and have a coffee and make a few calls. I've only charged at home once or twice a week. I deliberately let the charge drop and just for fun went to the nearest Ionity charger at Chippenham which is 25 minutes away. I turned off the HVAC and took the motorway and hilly route.

The Ionity charger at Chippenham was empty so there was now current charing. I was at 15% SoC when I started and I used the Kia Charge RFID car which was super easy, one swipe.

Communication Device Mobile device Portable communications device Telephony Gadget

It takes a minute to handshake and then quickly went up to 70Kw. Then at at 9 mins in at 30% it went up to 128Kw.

Fluid Gadget Audio equipment Rectangle Font
Product Gadget Communication Device Font Material property
Automotive lighting Vehicle Automotive design Gadget Personal luxury car
Communication Device Mobile device Gadget Font Audio equipment

Then at 39% it went up to 150Kw and throttled back gradually at 80%. At 85% I shopped the charge and was about 35 minutes, but as you can see I hit 80% in half an hour.

Well, I think this is pretty impressive charge curve but it's clear Kia are not pre-heating the battery even when the charger is selected at the SatNat destination. It's a LOT better than Ford who only hold their published max for about 10 minutes or Jaguar who average less than 75Kw. I averaged 112Kw over the whole charge.

I think it's a shame Kia seem to be a way off in cool-ish weather charging and pre-heat.

On the subject of cost, it really wasn't too bad. £14 for 56Kwh which would be like paying £28 for filling up my discovery in terms of range. That would cost £100 so it makes Guy Martin's comments look very silly.

·
Registered
281 Posts
... it's clear Kia are not pre-heating the battery even when the charger is selected at the SatNat destination. I think it's a shame Kia seem to be a way off in cool-ish weather charging and pre-heat.
Be patient, Hyundai is on it, I'm sure this will come to the EV6 as well...

·
Registered
33 Posts
Be patient, Hyundai is on it, I'm sure this will come to the EV6 as well...
Since google didn't offer translate on the page:

The car will heat itself up and optimize the battery before a fast charge. The function is connected to the car's navigation system.
You must therefore enter the desired charging station in the navigation in order for the car to facilitate the most efficient charging possible.
Also older cars
The news is confirmed by Øyvind Lillestrøm Knudsen, product and PR manager for Hyundai in Norway.
- We expect to implement this in the first half of 2022, he says to Motor.
He states that it is expected that it will also be possible to get this function on cars that are already on the road or that have been ordered.

Fingers crossed it comes to Kia

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

The car will heat itself up and optimize the battery before a fast charge. The function is connected to the car's navigation system.
You must therefore enter the desired charging station in the navigation in order for the car to facilitate the most efficient charging possible.
Also older cars
The news is confirmed by Øyvind Lillestrøm Knudsen, product and PR manager for Hyundai in Norway.
He states that it is expected that it will also be possible to get this function on cars that are already on the road or that have been ordered.

I have written to Paul Philpott asking him to extend our Ionity Charge membership to three years. I think I read the software for this function will be in the spring, just in time for it to warm up.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I have written to Paul Philpott asking him to extend our Ionity Charge membership to three years. I think I read the software for this function will be in the spring, just in time for it to warm up.
Funnily enough I did the same on the basis of all the problems we early adopters are having. Least they could do. I would suggest as many people as possible do this so they get the message that whilst we love our cars, we do not like the issues we have been having and the lack of information coming out of Kia.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Funnily enough I did the same on the basis of all the problems we early adopters are having. Least they could do. I would suggest as many people as possible do this so they get the message that whilst we love our cars, we do not like the issues we have been having and the lack of information coming out of Kia.
we should all keep the pressure up...

·
Registered
4 Posts

Also older cars

I just read an EV6 review on a Norwegian site, claiming battery preheat will come to Kia. No date specified though and no reference for that statement. I think it would make no sense if Hyundai was getting it and not Kia. The review was written in late November.

Fingers: Crossed!

Derfor tangerer denne SUV'en tidenes test-resultat

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes I read the same. You would assume that it would cover both cars. It make sense but won't be here for this winter, at least in the UK. For me the speed is enough but I did expect some pre conditioning even if it was manual.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I used an Ionity charger yesterday for the first time, using the Kia Charge card with free 12 month Ionity Power Package. Readings taken at various points are shown below:
Rectangle Slope Plot Font Parallel

Obviously these are no surprise given the experience of others but a max charge rate of 134kw is pretty disappointing compared to Kia's marketing literature. At 25p/kWh it wasn't expensive (£10.33) but if you need fast charging, the Ionity Power Package is quite frankly worthless. I wonder if anyone in warmer climes has achieved Kia's claim of "20% to 80% in 18 Minutes" ?

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I used an Ionity charger yesterday for the first time, using the Kia Charge card with free 12 month Ionity Power Package. Readings taken at various points are shown below:
View attachment 1457
Obviously these are no surprise given the experience of others but a max charge rate of 134kw is pretty disappointing compared to Kia's marketing literature. At 25p/kWh it wasn't expensive (£10.33) but if you need fast charging, the Ionity Power Package is quite frankly a useless. I wonder if anyone in warmer climes has achieved Kia's claim of "20% to 80% in 18 Minutes" ?
I think we probably won't find out until it's warmer. I did think perhaps I should have disabled winter mode which I think might be part of the throttling back issue when it's colder. I would make sense to allow the user to pre-heat especially once plugged in, IE use the power from the charger to heat the battery to an optimum temperature. Rumour is this update is coming to Hyundai so will probably also come to the EV6. We live in hope.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts