Kia EV6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Waiting to place and order for GT S-Line.
Trying to confirm that real world highway milage will meet our needs.

We make regular trips Santa Barbara, CA to LA.
Need 200 mi real range to cover this.
There are two significant hills along the way.
If 101 and 5 freeways are clear, traffic runs at 75 - 80mph.
Fortunately, temps here are always moderate.
Unusual cold spell right now with temps in the low 40's. High 50's"s during the day.
Think 11c - 14c.

I have been seeing reports ranging from 3.7mi/Kwh down to 2.8 for highway driving on AWD models.
2.8 would be cutting it awfully close for us.
We have decided that we really don't need AWD for SoCal.
And maybe have to limit our max speed to 75.
Even so, we are not sure if we can comfortably make this trip without a top-up charging stop on the way home.

I would be VERY interested in what consumption owners are seeing in higher speed driving.

Thanks so much!!!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Waiting to place and order for GT S-Line.
Trying to confirm that real world highway milage will meet our needs.

We make regular trips Santa Barbara, CA to LA.
Need 200 mi real range to cover this.
There are two significant hills along the way.
If 101 and 5 freeways are clear, traffic runs at 75 - 80mph.
Fortunately, temps here are always moderate.
Unusual cold spell right now with temps in the low 40's. High 50's"s during the day.
Think 11c - 14c.

I have been seeing reports ranging from 3.7mi/Kwh down to 2.8 for highway driving on AWD models.
2.8 would be cutting it awfully close for us.
We have decided that we really don't need AWD for SoCal.
And maybe have to limit our max speed to 75.
Even so, we are not sure if we can comfortably make this trip without a top-up charging stop on the way home.

I would be VERY interested in what consumption owners are seeing in higher speed driving.

Thanks so much!!!
On a longish 140 mile round trip here in the UK, with a mix of about 40% 70 mph motorways, 40% 60 mph A roads and 20% slow rural roads, I got 3.2 miles/kWh with normal driving in my GT-Line S AWD. The outside temperature was 3°C and I had the climate set to 22°C.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Given that you spent only 20% driving slow rural roads, your car's efficiency was 312.5Wh/mile which is quite good. I believe the Tesla Model 3 RWD can achieve combined efficiency of 237.0 Wh/mile and for Model 3 AWD is 251.0 Wh/mile. But I would rather compare EV6 GR-Line AWD to the Tesla Model Y Long Range AWD which is 270 Wh/mile. I think 40 Wh/mile is a very minor difference.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Given that you spent only 20% driving slow rural roads, your car's efficiency was 312.5Wh/mile which is quite good. I believe the Tesla Model 3 RWD can achieve combined efficiency of 237.0 Wh/mile and for Model 3 AWD is 251.0 Wh/mile. But I would rather compare EV6 GR-Line AWD to the Tesla Model Y Long Range AWD which is 270 Wh/mile. I think 40 Wh/mile is a very minor difference.
Are those Tesla figures at 3°C?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I found a temp/range calculator for the Model 3 on-line.
According to that: at 3C will be 17% less efficient than at 20C
If you multiply those Tesla numbers by 1.17 you get:
Model 3 AWD 294
Model Y AWD 316

·
Registered
47 Posts
I found a temp/range calculator for the Model 3 on-line.
According to that: at 3C will be 17% less efficient than at 20C
If you multiply those Tesla numbers by 1.17 you get:
Model 3 AWD 294
Model Y AWD 316
So the consumption of my AWD EV6 is about the same as the Model Y. I'm pleasantly surprised because I thought Tesla held the first place for consumption.

·
Registered
2022 Kia EV6 First Edition Steel Gray Matte
627 Posts
So the consumption of my AWD EV6 is about the same as the Model Y. I'm pleasantly surprised because I thought Tesla held the first place for consumption.
They did... ;-)

It's easy to be #1 in a game with 1 team. LOL

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don' think that there is any question that Teslas are the most efficient EV's.
Everyone else is still playing catchup on this.
But, on most of the comparisons I have seen, the e-GMP cars do appear to be in the top-tier of non-Tesla EV's.

Your experience clearly supports this.

Since my round-trip use-case is going to push the envelope a little, the more data I can get on real word EV6 range and consumption, the more comfortable I will be that I won't be disappointed.

Your experience is very useful — and encouraging
Considerably lower temps than I will ever encounter, but considerably slower driving speeds than I will need to drive to keep up with traffic when the roads are clear.
Plus I will be going up and back down two reasonably substantial hills going going each way to LA and back.

Thanks!

·
Registered
627 Posts
@Jonathan, I'm expecting to have one of the worst ranges in the country. LOL

I drive 191 miles round trip for work every day. It'll all be at 75-85mph. This morning it was 2F and will drop into the negatives pretty regularly through the winter.

We will see!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OK, you win the prize.
Worst possible combination of temp and speeds.
And, with those kinds of temps, the front motor will engage more often to deal with traction issues.
This is going to be one H of a test!!

Have you gotten a delivery date yet?

·
Registered
627 Posts
OK, you win the prize.
Worst possible combination of temp and speeds.
And, with those kinds of temps, the front motor will engage more often to deal with traction issues.
This is going to be one H of a test!!

Have you gotten a delivery date yet?
LMBO

Not yet. I had a conference call this morning with corporate and it does sound like the FE's might not have hit ports yet.

·
Registered
193 Posts
@Jonathan, I'm expecting to have one of the worst ranges in the country. LOL

I drive 191 miles round trip for work every day. It'll all be at 75-85mph. This morning it was 2F and will drop into the negatives pretty regularly through the winter.

We will see!
Ew, and I thought the 130 mile round trip at the same speeds sucked. Lasted doing that only 1.5 year before I bailed to another, better, agency to work for. Course, the unprofessionalism that I experienced at the previous place might have helped with that decision as well.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I came across an article by Tesla Model 3 owner:
Rectangle Font Parallel Circle Number

Update: The owner reported that over 80% was spent on daily trips (local commute) and very few long-distance trips.

·
Registered
27 Posts
looks pretty damned good to me! But Tesla after all their years of experience have the most efficient EVs and the rest of the market are pretty much all in catch up mode - but Tesla both inside and out are a bit gopping!

The attached from my 2 day loan when referenced to the table above shows why I didn't place an order
Font Musical instrument accessory Technology Audio equipment Laptop accessory

·
Registered
27 Posts
Well it was a real world test in cool conditions on roads I use regularly so for me completely representative. Plus did kind of prove the idea that real world range is 80% of WLTP and winter range is 80% of that. Given that winter range calc (313 x 0.8 x 0.8) suggests just over 200 miles i did a bit better! Stress tho no urban in that test so inevitably going to be a lot lower than the pie in the sky WLTP figure.

This isn't me having a pop at the EV6, I really liked the car, but shows EVs are a bit off where they need to be for my usage, majority of my miles are A road and M-way journeys in winter.

Looking fwd at some stage to repeating the test in a Tesla tho as they only offer a hopeless 30 min test drive that may be tricky.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I don' think that there is any question that Teslas are the most efficient EV's.
Everyone else is still playing catchup on this.
But, on most of the comparisons I have seen, the e-GMP cars do appear to be in the top-tier of non-Tesla EV's.

Your experience clearly supports this.

Since my round-trip use-case is going to push the envelope a little, the more data I can get on real word EV6 range and consumption, the more comfortable I will be that I won't be disappointed.

Your experience is very useful — and encouraging
Considerably lower temps than I will ever encounter, but considerably slower driving speeds than I will need to drive to keep up with traffic when the roads are clear.
Plus I will be going up and back down two reasonably substantial hills going going each way to LA and back.

Thanks!
Do you mean Camarillo and Calabasas grades? You will get some back via regen on the way home.

·
Registered
116 Posts
So … I am very close to buying the sibling of the EV6 in the Ioniq 5 since it is available in Florida and the AWD numbers I’ve seen from real world drives is terrible. EPA is 256 miles but real world is closer to 190 (US Ioniq 5 has slightly larger battery) at 75mph. On the other hand, Tesla advertises 326 miles on the Y but at 75mph - tests are getting 230 or less. This with ideal conditions. In winter.. you could see 120 miles with the EV6 or Ioniq 5 at 75mph.

Bjorn’s European Ioniq 5 test was the first stat I saw and I’ve gathered other data points from Reddit and FB

Font Number Screenshot Document

1 - 20 of 30 Posts