Kia EV Forum banner

Rear Window Wiper

10K views 24 replies 15 participants last post by  JK-KIAEV6 
#1 ·
To those of you in Europe (and elsewhere in the world) lucky enough to have been driving your new EV6,

I have a First Edition reservation here in the US and I'm somewhat worried about the lack of a rear window wiper on the EV6. Have you wished you had one? I own two vehicles and both have rear wipers and sure I don't use the wiper every time it rains but there have been times that I was very happy I had it.

Cheers!

#2 ·
If it's actively raining and you are moving, it seems to clear just fine without a wiper. You still see beads of rain on the glass but it's fine. I was out for a short drive this morning (15 mins, average speed 60-80km/h) and the window had been wet from morning mist, but it was no longer raining. By the time I got back it was still wet but a little clearer. I could still see cars behind me just fine.

#4 ·
To those of you in Europe (and elsewhere in the world) lucky enough to have been driving your new EV6,

I have a First Edition reservation here in the US and I'm somewhat worried about the lack of a rear window wiper on the EV6. Have you wished you had one? I own two vehicles and both have rear wipers and sure I don't use the wiper every time it rains but there have been times that I was very happy I had it.

Cheers!
I’m not worried, my Audi A5 had no rear wiper and I never had a problem.

#8 ·
Curious to see if anyone is having any issues now that more of these are out there. Particularly concerned about snow/salt build up. Had some issues in the past in a sedan without a rear wiper when snow and road spray would build up some on the rear window when I was driving around town and caused visibility issues, even with the defroster running.

#10 ·
In California the rear wipe is just an ornament. However, you may want to try some of the new ceramic glass protectants available on the rear window. With your defroster on and a ceramic protection on the glass, the water should bead right up and slide off making your view okay.

#11 ·
Thanks for the tip!

And that’s a fair point, California probably is at the forefront of the mind of a lot of design choices due to the currently disproportionate EV sales in the US. I remember reading about several cold weather design issues Tesla had to fix early on too - snow sliding down into an open trunk, flush handles getting iced shut, etc.

#12 ·

Cheers!
I agree, I live in Utah and when there is an afternoon snowstorm which can put inches of snow on top of the hatch, no back wiper just won't work. Rain is not of a concern, snow is.

#14 ·
My Sportage with a more upright rear window has one and probably would suck without one. My stinger however does not have one and is fine without it in winter. I think the EV6 falls somewhere in-between. I think it can be okay without one. However the Ioniq 5 is more upright and probably needs a rear wiper.

#19 ·
#24 ·
I’ve found that the rear screen stays clear enough at highway speeds, but not at lower, urban speeds. The car had a ceramic coating when I bought it a couple of months back, but it doesn’t repel water from the windows.
Overall, the EV6 is fun to drive, but the handbook is poorly indexed and next to useless. The Kia Connect app is useful, even if not always straightforward to navigate, whereas the Kia Charge app doesn’t seem to know where my local charge points are.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.