Kia EV6 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
EV6 GT-Line S RWD HP
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone else having a hard time believing the apparent nonsense Kia is touting for the lack of a rear windscreen wiper?
the aerodynamics of the vehicle should push any surface water off the windscreen
That's fine if you live on a motorway or major road but, if your windscreen is full of surface water when you get in and you're only driving in the city it's almost unusable as a window. Surely Kia should have used a special water replant coating on the glass or something?

·
Super Moderator
518 Posts
I got told by the dealer that Kia tried a rear wiper on the prototypes and the designers did not like the look.

I then started looking at other cars and there are a lot of cars without rear wipers, BMW, Mercedes etc ect.

It will be strange to not have one as every car I have owned since 1986 has had a rear wiper.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Is anyone else having a hard time believing the apparent nonsense Kia is touting for the lack of a rear windscreen wiper?

That's fine if you live on a motorway or major road but, if your windscreen is full of surface water when you get in and you're only driving in the city it's almost unusable as a window. Surely Kia should have used a special water replant coating on the glass or something?
It's 'fly by wire' isn't it :) .
I didn't have a problem on a test drive when it was raining....town roads.
I don't believe it's a show stopper. My 3 x c class mercedes didn't have one.
Lorry drivers haven't had one for years;)

·
Registered
33 Posts
I live in the countryside - and had farmers harvesting sugar beet on my lane- so the car is now head to toe brown from the mud on the roads. However I haven't had to clear the rear window once.
Surprisingly it does work - unlike the heater - 3 hours yesterday freezing my nuts off!

·
Registered
366 Posts
The rear window rake looks very similar to many sedans and other cars out there. All without rear wipers. I usually carry a $10 squeegee in my car anyway to clear off the windows if need be.

·
Registered
13 Posts
If you really want to make sure it stays clean and water glides off the window, coat it with a water repelling coating like Rain-X or Aquapel. I am sure there are other products too.

·
Registered
14 Posts
My previous car was an Audi A6 Avant (estate) which had the rear wipe and was very much needed on that car. Not missed it at all on our EV6.

·
Registered
472 Posts
I haven't found the need. I think from above 20mph it seems to clear water for me. Not much help with snow or dirt but it seems ok. I probably will use rainex or another glass treatment.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I applied rain x yesterday on my EV6. This morning the rear window was a bit iced up, so I activated the rear window button, and it defrosted it within a few minutes. But I was then driving on local roads and I had a film of water on the window that didn’t dry up for a good 20 mins. During that time I couldn’t see a thing out of the rear window.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts