Kia EV Forum banner

How much of a mark-up did you pay for your EV6?

• No mark-up

Votes: 71 68.9%
  • $1,000 or less

Votes: 10 9.7%
  • $1,001 to $2,000

Votes: 3 2.9%
  • $2,001 to $3,500

Votes: 12 11.7%
  • $3,501 to $5,000

Votes: 8 7.8%
  • $5,001 or more

Votes: 4 3.9%

Reasonable Markup for EV6

19K views 84 replies 34 participants last post by  Bkaklinv 
#1 ·
Just wondering what type of mark-up others paid (seems to be a wide rnage on the map)? Down to ~$4,000 with one dealer, but that seems to be the best I can get. I know will get more from my car when it is sold, but it is still a little tough to stomach.

#75 ·
Is it price gouging that my four year old trade in was valued at almost exactly what I paid for it 48k miles ago? It was worth substantially less in 2019 than it is today! In a free market economy producers are welcome to set their prices. Consumers will either validate or invalidate their choices. I don't see anyone insisting on taking less money for their used car...you know..since it's the right and reasonable thing to do? As for record profits...I've had a really good couple of years too...doesn't mean I'm gonna take less for my car. I'll take what the market dictates. If the ADM was wholly unreasonable there would be multiple units just sitting on dealership lots collecting dust. There are not.

#6 ·
I used cars.com for research and sent emails to dealers a hundred miles out. I ended up paying MSRP but I picked up the extended warranty to cover the electronics later. It's transferable if I sell it sooner. The dealer got some extra money and I got some extra value. The ADM is getting ridiculous but they are selling a lot less cars than they used to. I know from inside info that a few are ready to go under in my area.

If you are getting a State rebate you have to buy in your state.

#64 ·
West Coast and my dealer is charging me a $150 Doc fee and vehicle at MSRP. Pays to shop around, granted the dealer is 90 minutes away but worth the cost savings. Local dealer wanted $12K over MSRP and a $250 doc fee.

#15 · (Edited)
Nutley Kia (Nutley, NJ), where I have the reservation for my FE, told me verbally that they are asking MSRP on EV6's. Jack Daniels Kia stated that they are asking for a $10k market premium. I can't guarantee that Nutley Kia won't tack on some ridiculous add-ons but others have also confirmed that they are selling at MSRP. I'm still waiting for my FE to arrive to check it out but I will likely pass on it due to my preference for the GT-Line.

#17 ·
Paying a markup is pretty sad and some buyers don't know that they can pay MSRP. I'm in Los Angeles and dealers are pushing markups, but I STILL paid MSRP on my GT Line AWD in Matte steel and two of my friends picked up a GT Line and Wind also at MSRP. There is no shortage of these cars. They are sitting on lots. Don't hand your money over to a pick-pocket.

#20 ·
Anybody else consider buying out of state and then fly there to pick it up and drive the car home? Just curious. I've been looking around where I live and willing to drive less than 9 hours home to save $1k from shipping. So far, I haven't found a car with the config I want w/o any markups.

#21 ·
That's exactly my situation. Closest dealers to me selling at MSRP are 200-400 miles away. But I specifically want a red AWD GT-Line with suede, which none of them have. I'm going to fly to Missouri to get what I want @ MSRP, then drive home. About 11hr drive. I did the same, but even further to get my current car, but it's gas. A 700 mile road trip in an EV will be a new experience for me. On day 1.

#22 ·
I personally didn't consider it, my range was 500 miles (max) and I had 14 stocking dealers to pick from in that radius. So then it became a matter of sifting through who had the configuration I wanted and then ultimately who wouldn't charge a markup. It was a week long affair of phone calls and emails, probably spent 10 hours of my time to get what I was comfortable with finally settled.

Had I been able to send an email, saying this is what I want, this is what I'll pay, and then have the car waiting for me with no hassle, no surprises. Yeah, I probably would have extended the range and considered a plane ride. But I had no confidence that I wasn't just doubling or tripling the busy work for the same/similar outcome.

For me, it's the back and forth games. (1) Can you confirm the car on your website is on the lot right now and available? Yes/No. (2) Is the window sticker the out the door price of the car? Yes/No. If both equal yes, offer hold. If offer hold, get in car. Else, move onto other dealer.

#23 ·
I personally didn't consider it, my range was 500 miles ... Had I been able to send an email, saying this is what I want, this is what I'll pay, and then have the car waiting for me with no hassle, no surprises. Yeah, I probably would have extended the range and considered a plane ride.
Ha, well, that's kind of what my situation was. I started with a 300 mile radius, then extended it to 400 mile radius. Unfortunately my desired config seems to be rare in the southeast, so I started using the inventory search on Kia.com, and started considering some that were within about 500m. Still none that had my config AND would sell at MSRP. Then last week a dealer randomly posted on FB that he had the exact config I wanted due in a few weeks. I spent about 1-2 minutes debating whether or not I wanted to go 700 miles, then decided I've spent so much time in this search, it would be worth it to be done with this. I otherwise probably would have spent more time searching than what the drive home will be. 😏

#25 ·
I actually drove quite a ways (500 miles) to get the car/color I wanted (red/Wind/AWD/tech) at MSRP. Found several dealers closer that sold at or near MSRP, but didn't have the one I wanted. If you're in northern NJ and don't want to drive too far, Kia of West Nyack, NY was offering cars at 2K over MSRP, and you might be able to talk them down a bit.
If you are willing to go further, Burdick Kia in Cicero NY was selling at MSRP

#28 ·
If you're in northern NJ and don't want to drive too far, Kia of West Nyack, NY was offering cars at 2K over MSRP, and you might be able to talk them down a bit.
I was at Kia of West Nyack this past Sunday and they wanted $15K above MSRP for a GT-Line, which they didn't even have in stock. Salesman was Eric; very nice, well versed in the EV6, but his hands were tied.

#27 ·
If you are in northern NJ, you owe it to yourself to check out Nutley Kia in Nutley, NJ when they get more EV6’s in stock. The dealership itself is a dump but they swore when I went in that they were selling the EV6 at MSRP. My reserved FE hasn’t arrived there yet so I don’t know if they will pull the $1000 “phantom footprint” nonsense, etc. but at least they aren’t tacking on an arbitrary $10k like Jack Daniels Kia.

#30 ·
Same here, I am not in a hurry but if there is one available for MSRP, would love to grab one. Looking any dealer in Houston surrounding in TX. TX is big enough that one would think there must be a dealer selling for MSRP or at least neighboring state. I wish I can order it as I don't mind waiting a few months.

#45 ·
I live in the Dallas area and found Huffines Kia Corinth and Huffines Kia McKinney to sell at MSRP and no dealer prep fee. Well, that's what they told me. I placed a custom order with the one in McKinney since the one in Corinth said they were not able to.

I visited a few other dealers that had markup fees. I almost placed an order with Moritz Kia because they told me they were selling at MSRP. Then as I was proceeding with the order process, the guy mentioned a prep fee of $1898 which includes window tint, nitrogen air, and removing plastic wrapping.

#38 ·
I understand why you don't want to disclose the dealer.

It sucks that they sold the one that you had a deposit on. I remember reading a story like that in this forum before so maybe that was you. I believe I responded saying that shouldn't happen. Once you put a deposit the dealer should mark the car sold in their system. Did you have to settle for an EV6 color or trim that you didn't like as much as the one you had a deposit on because of their screw up?

#56 ·
Thank goodness for Costco, although depending on which part of the state (in CA) the prices are not that much lower than $5--$4.74 at my neighborhood Costco, $4.48 in Bakersfield, looks like ~$4.75 in your neck of the woods. Maybe I should move to NV--Costco gas in Reno is $4.15, $3.88 in Carson City--LOL. Yeah I shouldn't really be too concerned about it once I get my EV6 but I still have a couple of ICE vehicles I use for other purposes.

#63 ·
I signed the paperwork for my FE EV6 the other day--dealer tried to sneak in a $500+ LoJack-like vehicle tracking option but I quickly caught it and told them to remove it. Other than that, the purchase process went smoothly--sale price was MSRP, my $100 deposit and $750 CA clean fuel rebate was applied correctly. Finance guy tried to hard-sell me the extended warranty but at $2500 it was an easy hard pass for me.

#71 ·
Picked up my first edition on Friday. I had it in writing from my dealership months in advance that there will be no markups. Got the car at sticker price. Had to endure about 2h+ worth of upselling of additional protection packages, but other than that - straight forward as it could get.

#79 ·
I paid 2300$ over sticker on my wind AWD in Chicago area. I did not want to wait months or longer. Also, these dealers have no cars on the lots (compared to normal times) and deserve to stay in business.

This is the first time in my 60 years I've paid a premium like this. I don't like it but we're all living in strange times right now.

#83 · (Edited)
Don't do it.

I live in VA and I bought my EV6 GT Line AWD in Pennsylvania (250 miles away) in April and paid $250 less that MSRP due to Veterans discount. If you are willing and able to travel, you can get a vehicle at a more reasonable price. The key is to know the specific trim and color that you want; then you can use the various tools that are available to find the vehicle that you want at a reasonable price.

Note: While I was shopping, I also found a dealer in NJ who would sell me the EV6 for $1000 above MSRP but I held firm and made out like a bandit on my purchase in PA.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.