Kia EV6 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I made my first trip yesterday to drive my new EV6 home. And I found navigation "interesting."
  • The built-in navigation is a little clunky, but it's the only option for directions in the HUD. It got hopelessly confused at one point, had me driving in circles. On the highway, it was OK.
  • ABetterRoutePlanner seems like an invaluable resource. The real time update feature seems awesome--my ODB dongle arrived while I was gone. Without that, I found it a little more challenging to use. Plus it also got turned around with the nav. (Here is a video for setting up ODB; key thing is to "Add New Car" even if you already have the car added. It then sorts itself out.)
  • I have CarPlay installed, and while some may want to argue, I find Apple Maps very accurate, plus integrated with Siri, etc. I switched to it to get back on track. But that turns off the HUD directions, so I switched back to the built-in, which again was OK on the highway.
So... I actually want features of each of the three... Here is the solution I am trying out to juggle them.
  • I put CarPlay into split screen -- see Post #2 of this thread.
  • Start the navigation in ABRP and Apple Maps in CarPlay. Then start the built-in navigation.
  • Then bring up CarPlay back up (I have "Phone Projection" mapped to the "star" button on the strip under the screen), then launch ABRP and start the navigation. The navigation app moves to the split screen. If it stops navigating, hit the Map button and tell it to resume. Then go back to CarPlay.
  • The result is that both are providing the guidance I want in real time--ABRP in the larger left screen and built-in to the right, with directions going to the HUD!
  • I would love to do this with Apple Maps instead of ABRP, but that seems to shut down the built-in nav and vice versa. So if I want to look at Apple Maps, I can pull that up in CarPlay. When I'm done, redo steps above: Restart ABRP, restart built-in nav, then return to Carplay to see split screen.
I haven't checked this with other nav apps, but ABRP seems to be able to co-exist with the built-in nav, which is key to keep directions on HUD and having more relevant nav info.

·
Registered
2022 EV6 GT-L RWD, 1973 Triumph TR6
230 Posts
Thank you for figuring this out and posting it. I don’t think I would have had the patience to find this somewhat klugy way of doing it.

I, too, always use Apple Maps in CarPlay. I did in my 2017 Chevy Volt and probably won’t own another vehicle without it.

But I found I really liked the info from the native EV6 nav in the HUD. So I kind bit the bullet and started using for every trip, no matter how short, just to get more used to it and it’s crappy graphics. I use your setup for longer trips.

I just got around to trying this in my GT-L. Works great. Yeah, it’s a PITA to setup, but once you get used to it, it goes quickly enough. Especially since I switched to wireless CarPlay with a CarLinKit 3.0, and that takes a few more seconds to connect.

Again, thanks. Great work!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hey dude thanks for the research! I wonder if it's possible to run Waze + Music in Car pay and indeed have the KIA nav show instructions in the HUD? I don't have the car yet t try expecting it soon.

On a different car that had the same issue (BMW G20) I figured a sort of a work around, started Waze but didn't put a destination so it wasn't 'navigating' then set up the cars NAV to get instructions on the HUD.
Now Waze wasn't navigating but still alive and would give me audible warnings about speed cameras and road issues - which is not ideal (I want Waze actually navigating) - but a hack.

Best would be to have both running at the same time, car nav for HUD and Waze for actual, directions on screen :)

·
Registered
396 Posts
I wonder if they'll update the HUD to take directions from Carplay. The Mach-E got a similar update recently.
I would absolutely LOVE that, but the way they seem to be approaching updates, I have zero hope. I wouldn't be surprised if they introduced it as a feature in the GV60 and left it out of the I5/EV6 JUST for product differentiation.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts