Kia EV6 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So here's a question I wasn't able to work out while doing a test drive:

If regen braking is activated, does that trigger the brake lights? And if so, does it do so at all regen levels? I feel it ought to if you're on iPedal, as the car is effectively braking - but if it's on level 1, it's probably no much different for the car behind than if you were coasting in an ICE car, and it might be flashing the lights on and off excessively...

·
Registered
47 Posts
I was wondering the same so I took the opportunity to test it the other day by following my wife in our EV6 in our other car.

The brake lights come on essentially when I would expect them too, so in i-pedal mode, if you lift off the accelerator slightly and there is only a small amount of regen, the brake lights do not come on, but if you lift your foot off entirely and the regen is much higher, the brake lights do come on.
I didn't have an opportunity to test at different regen levels etc.. but from a quick test it seemed like the brake lights activating was set based on the level of regen being equivalent to an ICE car actually braking as opposed to just coasting.

·
Registered
14 Posts
My understanding from other EVs I've looked into is they base it off of the deceleration force and if it crosses their set threshold the lights turn on.

Guessing you would have noticed this, but on my current car the little car on the driver information display actually has brake lights that turn on when I brake (there's a car in a lane on the display, and different things change colors for lane keep assist, ACC, etc). Assuming that's not the case here? Think I've seen a similar-looking display in some videos for the EV6.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts