Kia EV6 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
on the short trip from home to store, I can sometimes regen more than I use on the way home. I had it on L1 and ECO mode

Store to Home
Distance = 1.86 miles
Ave speed = 23 mph
Electricity used = 337 Wh
Drivetrain = 272 Wh
Climate = 35 Wh
Accessories = 30 Wh
Regeneration = 389 Wh

Home to Store
Distance = 1.86 miles
Ave speed = 19 mph
Electricity used = 395 Wh
Drivetrain = 309 Wh
Climate = 46 Wh
Accessories = 40 Wh
Regeneration = 335 Wh

·
Registered
46 Posts
!!! Wow that’s a pricey brake service!

48K is probably a very conservative number. We had an ‘05 Prius and we never changed the pads in the 154k miles we owned it. Mostly city driven too. Granted it was due very soon thereafter but the hybrid battery gave up first.
I'm curious did you get the battery replaced or at least an estimate of the cost to replace the battery?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Clearly regen is a complex issue. KIA has given us the ability to select 0-3 level, auto or not, and ipedal.

Sounds to me that KIA identified that there is no one size fits all setting, hence the wide selection of options.
I had not read this whole thread carefully until now. I did not realize there is an auto setting. I'm going to try that. I've just used L1

·
Registered
12 Posts
I previously used L2 for regen and was made aware of the Auto regen from a youtube video I saw. I've been using auto regen ever since and have left it in that setting.
Yeah, auto regen for the win. Saw a youtube comparing the different modes in town and on highway and was sold. It's the set it and forget it mode that seems to give pretty decent efficiency. I use it all the time in town and always get 4.2mi/kwh or better in normal mode. If I am on a long highway trip without a lot of braking, especially going down a mountain pass I like to turn off all regen and just use the left paddle hold to apply regen when I need it to slow down. It's fun to let it coast. But if I don't feel like all that bother the cruise control and auto regen works just fine. It's hard to actually judge my highway efficiency 'cuz I have speed problem :p

·
Registered
36 Posts
I looked at Regen settings and it seems that Auto mode only works when you are following a Route. True?

As for the Regen options, I think the higher regen level only impacts how much you can avoid using the Brake Pedal, i.e., it doesn't really increase Regen from just using the Brake. That is, if your braking does not actually engage the Brake. I'm assuming brake is only engaged if the Charge graph on the Dash goes 100% to the right. I'm never at that level of braking (unless emergency). Agree/Disagree?

·
Registered
375 Posts
AFAIK, each of the 1-3 settings can be auto or not, my understanding is that "auto" varies the amount of regen retardation based on if there is a vehicle in front and what it is doing, whereas non-auto does not take the vehicle in front into account.

Don't think it has a requirement to be following a route.

·
Registered
69 Posts
on the short trip from home to store, I can sometimes regen more than I use on the way home. I had it on L1 and ECO mode

Store to Home
Distance = 1.86 miles
Ave speed = 23 mph
Electricity used = 337 Wh
Drivetrain = 272 Wh
Climate = 35 Wh
Accessories = 30 Wh
Regeneration = 389 Wh

Home to Store
Distance = 1.86 miles
Ave speed = 19 mph
Electricity used = 395 Wh
Drivetrain = 309 Wh
Climate = 46 Wh
Accessories = 40 Wh
Regeneration = 335 Wh
If your drive train number is positive, the electricity usage is net (after adjusting for regen).

In my experience, Auto works out to be the best. The only time I switched to another regen mode was when I used I-pedal when driving down mount Washington which is a 6000 feet elevation change over a 7 mile stretch. I gained 5% charge in that drive

·
Registered
36 Posts
If your drive train number is positive, the electricity usage is net (after adjusting for regen).

In my experience, Auto works out to be the best. The only time I switched to another regen mode was when I used I-pedal when driving down mount Washington which is a 6000 feet elevation change over a 7 mile stretch. I gained 5% charge in that drive
ok, thanks. I wondered about that.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
You can also adjust the aggressiveness of the braking in Auto in the settings (separate from the regen strength via the paddles).

I'm curious did you get the battery replaced or at least an estimate of the cost to replace the battery?
No, we didn’t replace it. It conked out at 245,000km and the estimated cost of replacement was $3k (including labour). By then, the new 2016 Prius was soon to be launched so we figured we’ll just grab the new generation and use that money that we would’ve spent for the battery as downpayment (plus whatever trade in value they gave us).

The rest of the car was still in working order so if we really wanted to be frugal, yes a battery replacement would’ve been the financially sound thing to do but the extra safety features and the new chassis was enough of a change to step up to the new generation.

·
Registered
12 Posts
This video helped me understand some of the Settings menu options and how they affect Auto regen:

You can effectively change between 3 options of a "minimum" Auto regen via the Settings, and if you use the paddles to raise/lower the regen they will go between that "minimum" and the 3 standard levels above that.

·
Registered
36 Posts
This video helped me understand some of the Settings menu options and how they affect Auto regen:

You can effectively change between 3 options of a "minimum" Auto regen via the Settings, and if you use the paddles to raise/lower the regen they will go between that "minimum" and the 3 standard levels above that.
Thanks, very informative
I was trying to set auto in the setup menus. Did not know you set it by holding the paddle
Still go back to the regen level whether auto or manual is just a way to avoid using the brake. It does not add any efficiency

·
Registered
253 Posts
I use Auto regen and I am very pleased with it works well.
Zero regen on highway, except when you turn off the highway or car in front gets too close.

About energy consumption in the App. When it states enery used 6000Wh and regenerated 2000Wh. Does this mean net usage was 4000Wh or was the actual usage 8000wh with regen it wat net 6000Wh

·
Registered
36 Posts
well I tried auto regen today. Wasn't sure I was liking it at first, but after a while was getting more favorable. Going to try it more before I decide.
The thing I don't like is that as the video states it turns off below 6mph. So it is braking me as I approach a stopped car and then right at the last few feet it goes into coast mode and you have to jump on the brake. Wonder what the design aim was for that.

21 - 40 of 47 Posts