Kia EV6 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First EV coming, my wife and I are used to brake pedal and was just wondering if regenerative braking is enabled on the brake pedal?

All things mention one pedal driving and paddles, but can't see any regenerative braking info on just the 'old way of driving' and using brake pedal. Because by default we're both going to think that way. We will still use a petrol car alongside our EV.

As in how the Audi e Tron Q4 does it, with just brake pedal.

·
Registered
2 Posts
First EV coming, my wife and I are used to brake pedal and was just wondering if regenerative braking is enabled on the brake pedal?

All things mention one pedal driving and paddles, but can't see any regenerative braking info on just the 'old way of driving' and using brake pedal. Because by default we're both going to think that way. We will still use a petrol car alongside our EV.

As in how the Audi e Tron Q4 does it, with just brake pedal.
In a nutshell yes, assuming it behaves like Kia's existing EV models.
When using the brake pedal the car should start with regenerative breaking and add mechanical braking as needed (E.G. if you're breaking hard).
The advantage of using the paddles to brake is that it's all regenerative breaking but you don't get as much braking force.
Not entirely sure how one pedal driving is going to work in the EV6 as it's not available on existing models, it could well use mechanical brakes as well but my guess would be it relies on regenerative braking alone.

That all said there is absolutely nothing wrong with driving it like a normal car using just the pedals, many EVs don't have the paddles or a one pedal driving mode and still benefit from regenerative braking. Kia just give you lots of ways to drive.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
In a nutshell yes, assuming it behaves like Kia's existing EV models.
When using the brake pedal the car should start with regenerative breaking and add mechanical braking as needed (E.G. if you're breaking hard).
The advantage of using the paddles to brake is that it's all regenerative breaking but you don't get as much braking force.
Not entirely sure how one pedal driving is going to work in the EV6 as it's not available on existing models, it could well use mechanical brakes as well but my guess would be it relies on regenerative braking alone.

That all said there is absolutely nothing wrong with driving it like a normal car using just the pedals, many EVs don't have the paddles or a one pedal driving mode and still benefit from regenerative braking. Kia just give you lots of ways to drive.
Thank you! Very helpful! I was assuming this but you know what they say.

·
Registered
74 Posts
The one pedal driving setup is something you enable, in the EV6 it is activated by the I-Pedal setting. This sort of driving you would have to learn over time. Once you get the hang of it you can bring the car to a stop without touching the brakes however, I would caution it’s use on the highways/motorways, where you might need to reduce speeds faster, in an emergency, that the regeneration system would.

·
Registered
117 Posts
The one pedal driving setup is something you enable, in the EV6 it is activated by the I-Pedal setting. This sort of driving you would have to learn over time. Once you get the hang of it you can bring the car to a stop without touching the brakes however, I would caution it’s use on the highways/motorways, where you might need to reduce speeds faster, in an emergency, that the regeneration system would.
Surely the Forward Collision Avoidance system would automatically put on the brake in an emergency?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Yes, it would. Provided it is working correctly. Would scare the heck out of you and the avoidance dependis on weather conditions and available traction. Better safe than sorry. I’ve had my fair share of scares in vehicles based on how I drive. I’m typically changing out tires and brake pads and sometimes rotors for better stopping power. Some times, even that can’t make up for the unexpected, if the system fails when you need it most.

Just giving a bit of advice, we are all free to do want we like.

·
Registered
2022 Kia EV6 First Edition Steel Gray Matte
47 Posts
Yes, it would. Provided it is working correctly. Would scare the heck out of you and the avoidance dependis on weather conditions and available traction. Better safe than sorry. I’ve had my fair share of scares in vehicles based on how I drive. I’m typically changing out tires and brake pads and sometimes rotors for better stopping power. Some times, even that can’t make up for the unexpected, if the system fails when you need it most.

Just giving a bit of advice, we are all free to do want we like.
What?!?!?!?! Are you implying that FSD (FullSelfDriving) isn't capable of doing everything for me??? (sarcastically) :LOL:

·
Registered
74 Posts
Lol! We are not there yet. I have to turn down the level of interaction on my previous Stinger GT and sometimes off on the Audi as that thing wants to go to that off ramp or split in the road on its own. It’s not a gentle move either, it’s a big tug on the wheel.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts