Kia EV6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have watched the various videos and checked the various threads.....still cannot get a grip on whether this "forward/reverse" remote function will work when trying to park the vehicle in a single car garage......it would be great if it did, as then it would not mean we have to try to squeeze in and out of the car when it's parked in there!! Anybody with attempts on this??? Thanks!

·
Registered
246 Posts
I have not tested it yet myself but if you’re just talking about the straight forward/straight back functionality I don’t know why it wouldn’t. I’ll have some time this weekend so I’ll give it a shot.

·
Registered
2022 EV6 GT Line AWD Yacht Blue
160 Posts
The "forward/reverse" remote parking (using the key fob) doesn't require cars on either side. That's not part of the automated parking system. You can move it back and forth however much you want as long as the path isn't blocked (and it'll stop moving or try to turn away if there is something in the way). It's very handy for squeezing into a garage with limited room so that you don't have to try to squeeze in and out of the car without bumping the door on something.

·
Registered
FE Glacier 1500/1500
89 Posts
You can use the back and forth anywhere. It will stop if something gets in front if going forward or behind if going backward. it’s intended to move forward/backward at anytime.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have not tested it yet myself but if you’re just talking about the straight forward/straight back functionality I don’t know why it wouldn’t. I’ll have some time this weekend so I’ll give it a shot.
Yup....just the forward/back. I won't have my car for some time, but have been looking the videos, etc. and trying to figure out if it might work......just wondering if the tech will "over react" to the narrowness of the garage or the end wall. Be careful!!:cool:

·
Super Moderator
Ordered July 21 Yacht Blue GT Line S AWD with Heat Pump Arrived 14 May 2022
1,766 Posts
Yup....just the forward/back. I won't have my car for some time, but have been looking the videos, etc. and trying to figure out if it might work......just wondering if the tech will "over react" to the narrowness of the garage or the end wall. Be careful!!:cool:
Think the function will rely on you checking your not going to hit anything more then the car doing this for you.

·
Registered
20 Posts
So great thread; I've been wondering about this too. I've seen some YouTube videos that state it will 'turn' to align into the 'parking spot' and not run into something on either side, but haven't come across a video of anyone actually doing that. They're always in empty parking lots going forward then back. I used it at a dealership on a test drive but didn't wanna test if it would run into something or not (and hate how it jerks to a stop so badly, the whole car bounces!).

So all that to ask this; has anyone else have experience with the car parking vs the car moving forward and backward?

·
Registered
246 Posts
So great thread; I've been wondering about this too. I've seen some YouTube videos that state it will 'turn' to align into the 'parking spot' and not run into something on either side, but haven't come across a video of anyone actually doing that. They're always in empty parking lots going forward then back. I used it at a dealership on a test drive but didn't wanna test if it would run into something or not (and hate how it jerks to a stop so badly, the whole car bounces!).

So all that to ask this; has anyone else have experience with the car parking vs the car moving forward and backward?
I used the full "Smart Park" the other day when I was in the car just to try it out. It was truly terrifying just sitting there watching the cameras, but outside of it being a little slow it worked really well. I can't see myself using it outside of showing off, or getting in to a tight spot outside the car if it's my only option. I have used the forward/back feature, but it has always been straight forward, straight back, do I don't know if it will move around obstacles.

·
Registered
2022 EV6 GT-Line AWD Aurora Black Pearl
249 Posts

There's really three different functions here:

1) Remote going backwards and forwards. As far as I can tell, when you do this, it will straighten the wheels, but won't turn the car to avoid walls. I might be wrong about this. This is useful, obviously, for getting into and out of really narrow garages and parking spaces. Otherwise it's just a party trick.

2) Automatic parallel parking. This actually seems to work really well. However, the hill in front of my house is too steep. The car actually says it won't do it because the hill is too steep. When I tried it on flat ground, it parked perfectly.

3) Automatic straight in parking. Kinda useless. And scary. I would only use this while standing outside the car so I could watch the corners, and even then, the car seems to need a lot of steps to park itself. It's a lot easier to back the car in myself -- aided by all the camera views.

·
Registered
2022 EV6 GT Line AWD Yacht Blue
160 Posts

1) Remote going backwards and forwards. As far as I can tell, when you do this, it will straighten the wheels, but won't turn the car to avoid walls. I might be wrong about this. This is useful, obviously, for getting into and out of really narrow garages and parking spaces. Otherwise it's just a party trick.
When I tested this in my garage the first time I didn't realize I was standing in the way (I was too busy thinking about what the car was doing and not where I was standing 😅). When it got close to me, it turned the wheels to avoid hitting me, but it detected that the garage wall was in the way on that side so it just stopped.

·
Registered
490 Posts
I too can confirm that for remote simple forward and backward the EV6 does not need to be parked between two cars (or parked even next to just one car)--I tested it in my two-car garage, EV6 parked on one side, nothing parked on the other side; activated remote forward/backward, was able to move car back and forth. Not a fan of how the vehicle "lurches" to a stop once you release the button on the keyfob though...

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you to all the comments here......when I finally get one, I will experiment with pulling straight in and backing straight out using the "remote" function. From what I am reading....I may have more "faith" in the backing out aspect than the moving in simply because of the potential "obstacles" of a narrow single car garage.

·
Registered
20 Posts

2) Automatic parallel parking. This actually seems to work really well. However, the hill in front of my house is too steep. The car actually says it won't do it because the hill is too steep. When I tried it on flat ground, it parked perfectly.

3) Automatic straight in parking. Kinda useless. And scary. I would only use this while standing outside the car so I could watch the corners, and even then, the car seems to need a lot of steps to park itself. It's a lot easier to back the car in myself -- aided by all the camera views.
Wait, what? It parallels too? I've got to do some interdigging today to get more info on this.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Wait, what? It parallels too? I've got to do some interdigging today to get more info on this.
Just to clarify, this is not the mode where you just grab your keyfob and press the forward/backward button. You have to be in your car, and long press the park assist button. The car will then scan for an available spot as you slowly drive through the lot. It will then ask you if you want to be inside the car or not. You can then step out and use the keyfob to get it started.

·
Registered
2022 EV6 GT-Line AWD Aurora Black Pearl
249 Posts
My ultimate query is if the car can park like this (and pull out of this) on its own. I can do it, so it is possible. My wife and my daughter cannot. The left is a house, the right are two other cars. View attachment 3967
It can do normal parallel parking. It won't exit the space for you, however.

If your picture represents an oddly shaped driveway, or an indoor parking garage, then it probably can't do it.

·
Registered
Matte Gray EV6, Nissan Leaf (2013)
227 Posts
Thank you to all the comments here......when I finally get one, I will experiment with pulling straight in and backing straight out using the "remote" function. From what I am reading....I may have more "faith" in the backing out aspect than the moving in simply because of the potential "obstacles" of a narrow single car garage.
I have a narrow driveway with rock wall on both sides. When I’ve tried it, the car gets to a narrow spot and panics. Won’t go forward or back! It wasn’t easy to squeeze in and finish the job. So I think the answer is “it depends”. I’d rather have it more careful than not though. I’ve occasionally used it in parking lots and it has worked fine.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts