·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just had the dealer software update done

Remote Pre Heating / Cooling now working from the Kia Connect App

Works fine if the car is plugged in and also if unplugged

Heats and defrost car nicely now.

Heated Steering Wheel Rear Window and Side Mirror Defrost also working fine as part of pre conditioning from app

Took about 30mins to get update done.

Well worth it now for chilly early morning starts

·
Registered
926 Posts
Thanks for the update! glad the update worked, I'll need to keep this in mind when I get my car, has it had the update or not. What's about battery pre conditioning? I think this has not fixed that yet?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the update! glad the update worked, I'll need to keep this in mind when I get my car, has it had the update or not. What's about battery pre conditioning? I think this has not fixed that yet?
There was no mention from the service manager about pre heating for charging and there is no new options for that

I think it really is just a fix for the fact that the car would not preheat from the app and that climate control in the car is not stable with it losing heating after a short time driving

At least those are fixed hopefully in the future they will look at allowing battery heating before arriving at a charger

·
Registered
113 Posts
That is good. We have an i3 and you can heat the cabin when it is not plugged in. Useful, especially when the EV6 arrives and my wife and I are fighting to use the charger at home!

I am not sure battery heating when not plugged in makes sense. if you are driving to a charger then you'd imagine some battery heat has been created as you drive. If unplugged at home or you are driving when the conditions are very cold then I would wonder if the energy used to pre-heat is higher then the energy loss of having a cold battery. The i3 will only pre-condition when plugged in, and our car does have a heat pump.

Happy to be advised otherwise.

Bruce

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That is good. We have an i3 and you can heat the cabin when it is not plugged in. Useful, especially when the EV6 arrives and my wife and I are fighting to use the charger at home!

I am not sure battery heating when not plugged in makes sense. if you are driving to a charger then you'd imagine some battery heat has been created as you drive. If unplugged at home or you are driving when the conditions are very cold then I would wonder if the energy used to pre-heat is higher then the energy loss of having a cold battery. The i3 will only pre-condition when plugged in, and our car does have a heat pump.

Happy to be advised otherwise.

Bruce
The EV6 does not seem to generate much heat in the battery with general driving, at a 5c outside ambient temp the battery is still only at about 8 to 9c after 100+ Miles of Motorway driving, and as you need it at 20c to get a decent speed charge it would be nice to be able to start that heating before getting to a charger. Probably a non issue in summer but at the moment it makes getting a decent charging speed much harder

The EV6 seems to generate much less heat from the battery then my previous Kona or i3, not sure if its the 800v system that means less heat is generated but its good in a way there is not much energy lost through heat.

·
Registered
36 Posts
The EV6 does not seem to generate much heat in the battery with general driving, at a 5c outside ambient temp the battery is still only at about 8 to 9c after 100+ Miles of Motorway driving, and as you need it at 20c to get a decent speed charge it would be nice to be able to start that heating before getting to a charger.
Ah someone else who keeps the car scanner on during trips. I've seen the same - highest rise was 4 degrees after some breaking /accelerating on a 60mph average trip of about 50 miles. Not a huge problem if you can only get to a 50kW charger - but with a years subsidised Ionity I want the full whack!

·
Registered
107 Posts

Heated Steering Wheel Rear Window and Side Mirror Defrost also working fine as part of pre conditioning from app

For me the software update had no affect so now they are investigating hardware mod. I was told my build date was 9Aug - presumably yours was later than that?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
For me the software update had no affect so now they are investigating hardware mod. I was told my build date was 9Aug - presumably yours was later than that?
Sorry to hear that

Not sure on the build date of mine but as it was registered Oct I would imagine July Aug build

Mine is the none heatpump version so I don't know if that has any bearing in the updates working

·
Registered
107 Posts
Sorry to hear that

Not sure on the build date of mine but as it was registered Oct I would imagine July Aug build

Mine is the none heatpump version so I don't know if that has any bearing in the updates working
[/QUOTe
Mine has the heat pump....that probably accounts for the difference

·
Registered
2022 Kia EV6 First Edition Steel Gray Matte
759 Posts
The EV6 does not seem to generate much heat in the battery with general driving, at a 5c outside ambient temp the battery is still only at about 8 to 9c after 100+ Miles of Motorway driving, and as you need it at 20c to get a decent speed charge it would be nice to be able to start that heating before getting to a charger. Probably a non issue in summer but at the moment it makes getting a decent charging speed much harder

The EV6 seems to generate much less heat from the battery then my previous Kona or i3, not sure if its the 800v system that means less heat is generated but its good in a way there is not much energy lost through heat.
I do know that Kia has put considerable effort into stabilizing the battery temps. The cooling system is supposed to be very effective.

·
Registered
96 Posts

Great news. My dealer said they tested the update on their demo car and it worked so they have now booked me in for this coming Tuesday to get the update.
I will keep you all posted if it’s another successful one or not.

my build date was 11th sept and I also don’t have a heat pump so I’m hopeful!!

·
Registered
204 Posts
I do know that Kia has put considerable effort into stabilizing the battery temps. The cooling system is supposed to be very effective.
I am a afraid that Kia engineers were so busy with overheating the completely forgot that in some parts of the world it's also freezing cold and that requires also complexity with the Heat(pump) delivering heat both to interior as battery pack... The good news is that we notice they are taking it serious improvements are coming.

It's part of bringing something innovative, some parts are great and some still require improvement... To me so far the response is relative quick seen how slow it can go with European manufactors...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sorry to hear that

Would you mind quoting the last 7 digits of your chassis number, helps to position your build in relation to others I hope 👍

·
Registered
2 Posts
The build date of mine, according to the dealer, was 10 Aug and the VIN .....02724.
Useful, mine is 10314 and I’m told it’s likely 10th Sept and apparently on the watershed of the problem. I’ve got heat while driving but no pre-heat. Not had software done yet.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Mine is 5008070 (RWD No Heat Pump)

Cabin Heating seems to be working well since the update.

Am currently still playing with Preheating it seemed to be working at first when I tested it but yesterday when I tried preheating and was it plugged in to my home charger the system started but only blew cold air despite being set to 27c

·
Registered
926 Posts
I read online that the fix for battery pre-condition is coming early 2022 for all Kia EVs. For it to work you need to navigate to a charger via the onboard satnav. When you reach the rapid charger, the battery should be at optimal temp for ultra-rapid charging which sounds great if it actually happens. Let’s hope it fixes the cold gate issues for those who need to use rapid chargers, I am sure we will all need to at some point.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I read online that the fix for battery pre-condition is coming early 2022 for all Kia EVs. For it to work you need to navigate to a charger via the onboard satnav. When you reach the rapid charger, the battery should be at optimal temp for ultra-rapid charging which sounds great if it actually happens. Let’s hope it fixes the cold gate issues for those who need to use rapid chargers, I am sure we will all need to at some point.
I am talking about pre conditioning as in heating the cabin at home before leaving. Not heating the battery in the way to a charger

·
Registered
KIA EV6 GT-Line AWD
22 Posts
Useful, mine is 10314 and I’m told it’s likely 10th Sept and apparently on the watershed of the problem. I’ve got heat while driving but no pre-heat. Not had software done yet.
The build date of mine was 9 Aug and the VIN .....02451, the day before the EV6 of AMO…. So they are producing around 300 cars per day

1 - 20 of 85 Posts