Kia EV6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just got my EV6 on Monday, its been raining all week so did not wash the car till we had a break in the weather. Today was that break and after washing I found this residue all over the hood. It will not come off. Dealer didn't notice it either because they did not clean the car before it was transported to me. I reached out to them but they were gone for the day so hopefully tomorrow they can provide some resolution to this tomorrow.

Hard to see on the picture but the front of the hood all the way around the sides of the hood have this stuff, like the plastic bra they put on to ship to the dealer was not removed correctly. Anyone else have this and if so, how the heck did you remove it? Edit: Got some better pictures in the garage.
Azure Hood Rectangle Automotive exterior Automotive lighting
Vehicle Automotive lighting Hood Car Automotive design
Sky Atmosphere Cloud Automotive lighting Automotive design
Hood Automotive lighting Automotive design Bumper Headlamp
Sky Azure Cloud Automotive lighting Interior design

·
Registered
Snow White Pearl GT-Line AWD
1,406 Posts
Maybe residue from the protective plastic that’s used for shipment. Usually this would be cleaned off by the dealer when the plastic is removed.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Maybe residue from the protective plastic that’s used for shipment. Usually this would be cleaned off by the dealer when the plastic is removed.
Thats what I thought too but they didn't clean it because it was going on a transport to me. Hoping the dealer I bought from can talk my local dealer into cleaning it off because I'm having zero luck cleaning it off myself.

·
Super Moderator
Ordered July 21 Yacht Blue GT Line S AWD with Heat Pump Arrived 14 May 2022
1,803 Posts
It looks like the glue from the protective wrap, a good quality cutting compound done very lightly would no doubt get this off.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Took it to local dealer. They said its from the wrap during shipping to the dealer. It either needs to be wet sanded or buffed out then paint corrected. So the dealer I got the EV6 from will need to either pay the dealer here to do it or pay my ceramic guy to do it. This is something they should of handled before putting it on a transport truck.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Took it to local dealer. They said its from the wrap during shipping to the dealer. It either needs to be wet sanded or buffed out then paint corrected. So the dealer I got the EV6 from will need to either pay the dealer here to do it or pay my ceramic guy to do it. This is something they should of handled before putting it on a transport truck.
Let me know how it goes. I just picked up my YB EV6 last week at night and caught a few of those residues on paint, dealer was able to clear out a few but I still missed some due to low light. My car is at the detailer now for PPF and ceramic coating I hope they can take care of those.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Had marks/scratches on front area above the wheels. Just applied Mothers scratch removal and now looks great! Remember to put coat of wax after to restore finish. I have the Glacier finish.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just got my EV6 on Monday, its been raining all week so did not wash the car till we had a break in the weather. Today was that break and after washing I found this residue all over the hood. It will not come off. Dealer didn't notice it either because they did not clean the car before it was transported to me. I reached out to them but they were gone for the day so hopefully tomorrow they can provide some resolution to this tomorrow.

Hard to see on the picture but the front of the hood all the way around the sides of the hood have this stuff, like the plastic bra they put on to ship to the dealer was not removed correctly. Anyone else have this and if so, how the heck did you remove it? Edit: Got some better pictures in the garage.
Tire Blue Automotive lighting Hood Vehicle
Tire Blue Automotive lighting Hood Vehicle
I bought an EV6 2 weeks ago in Yacht Blue and my hood looks just like yours. I’m at Kia now and they are trying to redetail it. I couldn’t see it when I purchased the car (in the low light) but it’s very visible under the fluorescent lights in my garage

·
Registered
19 Posts
I've reached out to the dealer I bought from (3 hours away, 2 weeks ago) to see if they can do anything about mine. I hand polished some of the hood spots, and while it helped, it didn't entirely remove them. I think a machine polish would do the trick, but I have neither the tools nor experience to try it myself. Kia should be footing the bill for a full paint correction, at least on my car (see photos from the other thread where I have some significant swirl marks and even a couple noticeable scratches upon delivery).

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I bought an EV6 2 weeks ago in Yacht Blue and my hood looks just like yours. I’m at Kia now and they are trying to redetail it. I couldn’t see it when I purchased the car (in the low light) but it’s very visible under the fluorescent lights in my garage
My Ceramic guy is taking care of mine while putting on a ceramic coat, will be giving me an invoice to give to the dealer so they can send me a check for the cost to repair the hood.

·
Registered
Snow White Pearl GT-Line AWD
1,406 Posts
I posted what I did that worked for me for this same issue. It can be found here:

·
Registered
326 Posts
Surprisingly I use mineral spirits to remove all kinds of stuff including tar without damaging the surfaces. I even wash my hands if they have a days work of grease and grime on them with some mineral spirits.

According to the Gods of the Internet:
"Does Mineral Spirits Damage Clear Coat? There is no harm to clear coats caused by mineral spirits, and they will remove just about anything from them."

So find an inconspicuous place on the car and test a small area, wipe it off completely and then a light soap wash after that, dry it all off.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Surprisingly I use mineral spirits to remove all kinds of stuff including tar without damaging the surfaces. I even wash my hands if they have a days work of grease and grime on them with some mineral spirits.

According to the Gods of the Internet:
"Does Mineral Spirits Damage Clear Coat? There is no harm to clear coats caused by mineral spirits, and they will remove just about anything from them."

So find an inconspicuous place on the car and test a small area, wipe it off completely and then a light soap wash after that, dry it all off.
I could be wrong, but I was under the impression that most automotive bug&tar removers were basically mineral spirits with a coupe of additives. They do seem to smell and feel the same.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I don't know the contents of the bug and tar removers. But in CA the mineral spirits now are very low VOC, not to bad to keep around. Good for accidents around the house and garsge.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts