Kia EV6 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Mach-E ER, the Ioniq 5 with 19" rims but not sure if it's RWD or AWD, refreshed Model 3 LR AWD with 18" rims (so it has the heat pump), ID.4 AWD Pro (20" rims), EV6 GT-Line S with heat pump.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah. Tesla's efficiency is still class-leading (industry leading I suppose) but the EV6 can offset that with faster charging. These comparisons are interesting to know because in Canada, we have 200kW chargers as well, which is closer to the EV6's theoretical max of 240kW. This means, in the winter, I could save money and use the 200kW chargers instead of the 350kW chargers if I know I won't be getting Vmax anyway.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Yeah. Tesla's efficiency is still class-leading (industry leading I suppose) but the EV6 can offset that with faster charging. These comparisons are interesting to know because in Canada, we have 200kW chargers as well, which is closer to the EV6's theoretical max of 240kW. This means, in the winter, I could save money and use the 200kW chargers instead of the 350kW chargers if I know I won't be getting Vmax anyway.
I applaud Kia for unthrottling their charging curve and allow batteries to heat up (from Bjorn's video). Ford went the opposite direction and are ultra-conservative. Ford throttles the Mach-E at 80% - dropping the charging to 9 kW (L2 speeds). They want to keep the battery below a certain temp for longevity I guess (8 year/100K warranty is standard across the industry due to US laws). Bean counters I'm sure made this decision.

·
Registered
88 Posts
With a SW update and getting pre-heating enabled the Kia will be quick.. I must say that I am still a bit concerned about summer holidays. Warm wetter outside and then plugging in the Quick charge, I would even opt that pre-cooling would be needed there.. And getting heat out is more diffcult then getting it in....

·
Registered
33 Posts
I guess KIA/Hyundai has the better charge curve due to the fact they have more experience. They've had all those e-Niros and Ioniqs out there that they will have been grabbing data from via the app. At the moment Ford and VW are going to have to play it safe until they get more real world usage. The last thing they can afford is to be too generous and discovering a couple of years down the line that they need to replace thousands of batteries under warranty. Pre heating should bring the EV6 up to nearer the Tesla level if they do fit it- although the range lost by heating V's the charge speed is an interesting calculation. With charge costs hitting 40p+ in some places, I'm not sure I would want to blow say £2 in electricity for a saving of 4 minutes charging time. Actually I probably would!

·
Registered
111 Posts
I guess KIA/Hyundai has the better charge curve due to the fact they have more experience. They've had all those e-Niros and Ioniqs out there that they will have been grabbing data from via the app. At the moment Ford and VW are going to have to play it safe until they get more real world usage. The last thing they can afford is to be too generous and discovering a couple of years down the line that they need to replace thousands of batteries under warranty. Pre heating should bring the EV6 up to nearer the Tesla level if they do fit it- although the range lost by heating V's the charge speed is an interesting calculation. With charge costs hitting 40p+ in some places, I'm not sure I would want to blow say £2 in electricity for a saving of 4 minutes charging time. Actually I probably would!
Um, while I'm a Kia Soul fanboy... what you described is exactly what happened with the direct injection engine fiasco

As a buyer, I'm happy to put the risk onto Kia/Hyundai. I probably will only keep an EV6 for 2-3 years before upgrading. I won't need to worry about battery replacement lawsuits.... whereas as a current Mach-E owner... I am annoyed at being throttled.

Telsa has the best battery cooling system though. They use cylindrical cells and weave cooling plates throughout the pack so only 1/3rd of each individual cell is not touching a cooling plate. The pouch cells used by Mach-E, ID.4, EV6, Ioniq 5, Bolt - are less than ideal because cooling plates only touch a portion of the pouch so thermally the pouch could have large temperature variations.

The Bolt/Mach-E style cooling design by LG Chem:

Font Line Parallel Slope Triangle

·
Registered
343 Posts
Ford may be looking at a new batterygate (new dieselgate), I also see ID3/4 owners complaining about slow rate at rapid chargers.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts