Kia EV6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking seriously at the GT-Line and am now trying to determine the best drive train. I will not be taking this vehicle into snow country and it never rains in California any longer, so for me the question comes down to the continuum of pure enjoyment and range.

• How much torque to I lose with the RWD? Can I still create that amazing acceleration that is my new crack cocaine?

• How much range do I lose with the AWD?
All impressions and sharing of data welcome...

·
Registered
Snow White Pearl GT-Line AWD
1,393 Posts
I am looking seriously at the GT-Line and am now trying to determine the best drive train. I will not be taking this vehicle into snow country and it never rains in California any longer, so for me the question comes down to the continuum of pure enjoyment and range.

• How much torque to I lose with the RWD? Can I still create that amazing acceleration that is my new crack cocaine?

I’m in California. I’m also originally from Colorado, so I know how to drive in the rain and snow, so for me AWD isn’t a necessity except for wanting that extra power. I convinced myself I’d be ok with the lesser range of the AWD. However, the range I’m actually getting has me really pleased and even happier I went with the AWD.

Font Screenshot Technology Electric blue Brand

Automotive design Gadget Font Personal luxury car Motor vehicle

·
Registered
50 Posts
There are a lot of discussions on this already. Probably good to check it out.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Check out the 0-60 times for each config for indication of performance
Lukez, I find myself being mesmerized by the numbers instead of the result. Like, oh wow, low 4s, that's amazing, when maybe a 0-60 that is 6.something will feel amazing and let me do all the passing I need. And test driving is so difficult, that's why I would like to hear from others.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Lukez, I find myself being mesmerized by the numbers instead of the result. Like, oh wow, low 4s, that's amazing, when maybe a 0-60 that is 6.something will feel amazing and let me do all the passing I need. And test driving is so difficult, that's why I would like to hear from others.
Agreed but it's all relative to the person. If you are coming from a 3 second car, you probably want the best performance. If your current car does 0-60 in 12 seconds then even 6 seconds will feel fast and be more than enough.
My current model s is a 5 second car and I wouldn't want to be slower.

·
Registered
94 Posts

Kia EV6 RWD - 226 bhp / 350 Nm
Kia EV6 AWD - 321 bhp / 605 Nm

As you can see, going from RWD to AWD gives you 42% more bhp, but 73% more torque. There's also about a 30 mile range difference between the two vehicles (RWD = 30 miles more).

My take:

In simple terms, BHP is how much power a vehicle can output, whereas torque represents how the vehicle will perform under heavy load. Basically, if you want the car to still feel 'fast' when full of people and luggage, the torque figure is more important.

If you're looking for acceleration, the decision is simple - AWD.

The great thing about the AWD variant is that (as long as you're not using iPedal mode) in normal driving mode, the front motor is disengaged and only recruited when needed. In eco mode, the front motor is not used at all. Drive the AWD carefully and you'll get similar range to the RWD.

Having test driven both, I can say that the acceleration in the RWD car is fine, but relatively unimpressive. If you load the car up, then it will likely feel immediately slower. The AWD car has fantastic acceleration, contrastingly (coming from driving a Golf MKV R32 and an E92 M3).

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The great thing about the AWD variant is that (as long as you're not using iPedal mode) in normal driving mode, the front motor is disengaged and only recruited when needed. In eco mode, the front motor is not used at all. Drive the AWD carefully and you'll get similar range to the RWD.
Thank you, S2 -- very helpful. Can you please elaborate on the "as long as you're not using iPedal" remark? How does using iPedal affect range or acceleration?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Agreed but it's all relative to the person. If you are coming from a 3 second car, you probably want the best performance. If your current car does 0-60 in 12 seconds then even 6 seconds will feel fast and be more than enough.
My current model s is a 5 second car and I wouldn't want to be slower.
I am coming from a Mazda 3 manual shift. I think coming from any manual shift, an EV is going to feel like a spaceship...

·
Registered
94 Posts
Thank you, S2 -- very helpful. Can you please elaborate on the "as long as you're not using iPedal" remark? How does using iPedal affect range or acceleration?
You're welcome.

Using iPedal keeps the front motor engaged at all times across all driving modes. This has an impact on range, of course. From what I'm reading, most economy gains come from using Auto regeneration set between 3-Max.

·
Registered
2022 EV6 GT-Line AWD Aurora Black Pearl
249 Posts
Unless you absolutely, positively, need the maximum range, I'd get the AWD. But, honestly, if you're that desperate for max range, there are EVs with longer range than the EV6. Since you're debating which to get, you probably don't need the range. It's a "nice to have", right? In that case, get the AWD. You can always adjust your driving style for those times when you need more range. You can't "peddle faster" when the front motor just isn't there.

You won't regret getting the AWD. Just try wiping the smile off your face the first time you punch it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Unless you absolutely, positively, need the maximum range, I'd get the AWD. But, honestly, if you're that desperate for max range, there are EVs with longer range than the EV6. Since you're debating which to get, you probably don't need the range. It's a "nice to have", right? In that case, get the AWD. You can always adjust your driving style for those times when you need more range. You can't "peddle faster" when the front motor just isn't there.

You won't regret getting the AWD. Just try wiping the smile off your face the first time you punch it.
Thanks, AG -- Yes, this will be our second car, our Venza Hybrid is our touring car, I'm an around-town guy, and anything over 200 will likely be just fine. That said, which EVs offer longer range? Because I'm still in research mode, this comes under the category of due diligence.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I tried both. First I was allowed to test the RWD, and it was fine. 0-60 in just over 7 seconds is not something that the mayority of cars can even do nowdays. Just for your knowledge, we were 3 in the car and taking into account the speed limits all around the place in Spain, it was perfect. However, I am awaiting for an AWD. Why? Well I tried it and it honestly seemed to be a different car when driving in Sports mode. I fellt immediately also more comfortable at high speeds and the 0-60 in just over 5 secs was nice. Taking into account that I was trying to decide between a Tesla model 3 long range which was doing it in less than 5 secs you may think, it is only around half a second but boy, the experience is really different when you floor the accelerator. I know that, at the end of the day, I will be most likely using ECO mode 90% of the time, which is the main reason why we buy an EV, but having that boost there in case of need and that all-wheel drive when necessary is a lovely plus, especially in a region fo Spain where it rains a lot! Still, you shoud be good with whatever choice you take, but if you can try one, do it!

·
Registered
249 Posts
Thanks, AG -- Yes, this will be our second car, our Venza Hybrid is our touring car, I'm an around-town guy, and anything over 200 will likely be just fine. That said, which EVs offer longer range? Because I'm still in research mode, this comes under the category of due diligence.
Tesla Long Range Model Y comes to mind. It's about the same price, and until recently could be ordered with only a small delay from Tesla. The price has gone up by $1K, I believe, and the ordering time has stretched to about 6 months now. Both were better when we test drove it. The model Y is rated at 318 miles, and this is AWD. It's also faster. But it's a very spartan interior, and we both thought the ride was harsher than the EV6. My wife described it as "cheap feeling" by comparison. Tesla is, however, the gold standard by which all EVs are judged.

The Lucid Air has over 500 miles of range. It should be noted that for the cost of the Lucid Air, you could buy a Tesla Model S and have enough left over for a EV6 on the side.

The Mach-E is currently only available in the base trim (with a small battery), or the GT trim, with tons of power. Neither are what you want for range.

The ID.4 is similar in range to the Kia/Hyundai offerings -- I think. I'm having trouble finding range data on the VW website.

The Bolt is still smoldering. :)

The Leaf isn't really suitable for road trips due to its air cooled battery.

The bottom line is Tesla gives you a bit more range for about the same price. Lucid gives you a LOT more range, for three times the price.

This is in the US. In other parts of the world, there's a lot more choices.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Shadowman is right -- I mostly drive in Eco mode. The same is true for my gas powered Kia Soul. But it's nice to have sport mode and AWD power there for passing, merging, or merely to turn a frown into a smile. And unlike some EVs, it's very easy to switch between driving modes.

·
Registered
2022 EV6 GT-L RWD, 1973 Triumph TR6
222 Posts
I’m retired now and settled in Las Vegas. We probably have even less rain, but I do know how to drive in the rain and snow from lots of previous lives and living locations. I fondly remember learning to drive in the muscle cars of the ‘60s.

I wrestled with the same when I bought my GT-Line (RWD). I don’t care about 0-60 times any longer. As was said above, the 7 seconds the RWD give me is plenty. Knowing I won’t need AWD unless I go to places like Colorado, Utah, or Wisconsin during the winter was enough to convince me to save the ~$4000 for AWD. And I couldn’t be happier.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Tesla Long Range Model Y comes to mind. It's about the same price, and until recently could be ordered with only a small delay from Tesla. The price has gone up by $1K, I believe, and the ordering time has stretched to about 6 months now. Both were better when we test drove it. The model Y is rated at 318 miles, and this is AWD. It's also faster. But it's a very spartan interior, and we both thought the ride was harsher than the EV6. My wife described it as "cheap feeling" by comparison. Tesla is, however, the gold standard by which all EVs are judged.

The Lucid Air has over 500 miles of range. It should be noted that for the cost of the Lucid Air, you could buy a Tesla Model S and have enough left over for a EV6 on the side.

The Mach-E is currently only available in the base trim (with a small battery), or the GT trim, with tons of power. Neither are what you want for range.

The ID.4 is similar in range to the Kia/Hyundai offerings -- I think. I'm having trouble finding range data on the VW website.

The Bolt is still smoldering. :)

The Leaf isn't really suitable for road trips due to its air cooled battery.

The bottom line is Tesla gives you a bit more range for about the same price. Lucid gives you a LOT more range, for three times the price.

This is in the US. In other parts of the world, there's a lot more choices.
Jz in Canada, Tesla Y is about 10k more than EV6 GT line 2.
Model Y long range (no more standard) 75k CAD
EV6 GT line 2 AWD 62K

Range is something different thou, Y gives 500km, EV6 gives 450km

so 10 K difference, I perfer EV6 in many way, especially the UI. I can't deal with tesla UI.

One thing that EV cannot beat the tesla, is the cargo space. Tesla trunk is 850L while EV is only 490L or 24.4Cuft (Smaller than my F-ing Honda Civic Hatch!!! 25.7 cuft)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Jz in Canada, Tesla Y is about 10k more than EV6 GT line 2.
Model Y long range (no more standard) 75k CAD
EV6 GT line 2 AWD 62K

Range is something different thou, Y gives 500km, EV6 gives 450km

so 10 K difference, I perfer EV6 in many way, especially the UI. I can't deal with tesla UI.

One thing that EV cannot beat the tesla, is the cargo space. Tesla trunk is 850L while EV is only 490L or 24.4Cuft (Smaller than my F-ing Honda Civic Hatch!!! 25.7 cuft)
Doesn't really matter for this discussion but it's much more than 10k. Recent tesla price increase and the EV6 getting the 5k credit makes it 20k difference!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts