Kia EV6 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just plugged in the EV6 for the first time. at home, only have the included schuko -to- type 2 charger. The battery is at about 87% and the charger is only providing 1.2kw. Charge current set to Max.

i have been unable to find data about charge rates -vs- SoC for this charger… is the 87% SoC causing the slow charge rate? Or 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

TIA for your suggestions

Gadget Flat panel display Font Audio equipment Display device

·
Registered
340 Posts
Just plugged in the EV6 for the first time. at home, only have the included schuko -to- type 2 charger. The battery is at about 87% and the charger is only providing 1.2kw. Charge current set to Max.

i have been unable to find data about charge rates -vs- SoC for this charger… is the 87% SoC causing the slow charge rate? Or 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

TIA for your suggestions

View attachment 1816
Presumably Schulz is the granny charger (plug in mains).

On the block of the granny charger, you can adjust the current draw. I believe it is set to the most conservative (lowest) setting but default. Have a play around with that adjustment.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Presumably Schulz is the granny charger (plug in mains).

On the block of the granny charger, you can adjust the current draw. I believe it is set to he most conservative (lowest) setting but default. Have a play around with that adjustment.
Schuko is the European 2-pin mains charger, so yes, this is a granny charger. I was under the impression that 1.2kW was the maximum power from a wall socket, although on some of the charging cable websites, they talk about 2.3 KW for their granny chargers. But whether it is 1.2kW or 2.3 kW it is going to be SLOW (and probably even slower between 80% and 100%). They're not called granny chargers for nothing !!!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
After some poking at the brick in the charger line, I was able to bump (what I assume is) the input amperage to 12, as noted on the digital display. It offers steps of 2 from 6 to 12. At 12, the car reports 2.6kw of charging (12a x 230v = 2.76kw nominal minus a bit of loss or rounding, etc)

·
Registered
340 Posts
After some poking at the brick in the charger line, I was able to bump (what I assume is) the input amperage to 12, as noted on the digital display. It offers steps of 2 from 6 to 12. At 12, the car reports 2.6kw of charging (12a x 230v = 2.76kw nominal minus a bit of loss or rounding, etc)
That’s better!

·
Registered
340 Posts
Schuko is the European 2-pin mains charger, so yes, this is a granny charger. I was under the impression that 1.2kW was the maximum power from a wall socket, although on some of the charging cable websites, they talk about 2.3 KW for their granny chargers. But whether it is 1.2kW or 2.3 kW it is going to be SLOW (and probably even slower between 80% and 100%). They're not called granny chargers for nothing !!!
Agreed. I have a wall charger installed so I may never use the granny charger. I’ve left it in the car in case I ever visit someone who doesn’t have a wall charger!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That’s better!
yes, it is better… but the cabling this thing is built of appears to be capable of handling at least 32 amps of input current. I guess it will be durable and there will be nearly zero voltage drop …but why build it so heavy and then limit the current so low? Oh well. I’ll probably try to coil it into the frunk (AWD, so a tiny space) and use it only at odd times.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts