Kia EV6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Automotive parking light Tire Wheel Vehicle Hood

Just seen this on Facebook group, two owners reporting similar problem of top of door handle getting scratched as it docks....possible design fault.....any other occurrences in this group?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Looks like grains of sand (appear stuck all over side of car) have got into the handle docking shell. A warning for all to watch what gets into these places - but with the shape of the doors, getting mud in there would probably involve some severe green lane work.

·
Super Moderator
Ordered July 21 Yacht Blue GT Line S AWD with Heat Pump Arrived 14 May 2022
2,471 Posts
I wonder how close the top of the handle is to the plastic trim and if grit gets stuck between the two and causes scratches.

Anyone with there car able to look and see how close the gap is?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've followed this up on Facebook, more photos being posted, looks like handle alignment issue affecting some but not all cars.

·
Registered
928 Posts
My car has a fair gap on all 4 doors, no scratches on the handles yet, maybe given time it could happen, fairly gritty out there on the Scottish roads just now. I would say my car is approaching how dirty that green car is after only 200 miles driving in the wet/ice/salty conditions, 1-4 degrees here just now, grit lorries out most days.

·
Super Moderator
2,471 Posts
It looks like if some grit or something gets between the two surfaces it causes this issue, could be just muddy rain, the thing that's the worry is that what are these going to look like in a few years time.

·
Registered
292 Posts
It looks like if some grit or something gets between the two surfaces it causes this issue, could be just muddy rain, the thing that's the worry is that what are these going to look like in a few years time.
I think it’s the plastic itself above the handle, and I hope l‘ll be able to prove/disprove it as soon as we have a dry day here.

But perhaps others can do it before me? i have an idea that should do it - perhaps 😇 🤞.

First thoroughly clean the handle and the area behind it. Make sure the area is dry. Then place a small piece of thin tape on the scratches. Take a marker of some sort - preferably a whiteboard marker - and cover the tape with it. Now move the door handle in and out several times. See if there’s scratches on the tape, and if so try to compare them to the scratches on the door handle when you carefully remove the tape.

Worth a shot.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I recorded a video today that my dealer agrees proves that the scratches are NOT caused by dirt. They are caused by the rough plastic above the handle.

I am reluctant to upload the video to Youtube and post the link here. I don’t think it’s fair to Kia when they agree that I’m right.

You can easily do what I did. I just followed the description I posted above, and it worked. You can very easily see the scratches on the tape.

You can also use the marker directly on the paint, but just know that it can be difficult to remove completely. I did it by mistake when I was testing the method before the recording, and it worked too. You CAN argue, that this is the best way to prove it, if Kia won’t believe you.

·
Super Moderator
2,471 Posts
Watched the video that Kent EV6 sent, either the handle is positioned wrong or Kia have made the enclosure way too tight.

It scratches the top of a piece of tape, any muck that would come down the door and sit on the top of the handle will make the damage worse.

It looks like the handle is scrapping the enclosure.

Reactions: Kent EV6
1 - 20 of 44 Posts