Kia EV6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm toying with the idea of selling my one year old car and getting an EV6. Talk me into it. Or talk me out of it. :D

A year ago I bought a Tesla Model Y Standard Range. Not everyone is familiar with that model. Tesla only offered it for sale for about 6 weeks in January - February 2021. It's just like the current Long Rage version with two differences. Range is 244 miles rather than 330. It only has RWD not AWD. It was only $40,990 ($39,900 base plus $1,000 for the color).

I could sell that car for considerably more than I paid for it, take those proceeds and apply it to a mid-level EV6 trim and come out way ahead.

What I like about the Model Y: Proven, high volume automobile. Been outstandingly reliable in one year of ownership. Only issue was the windshield washer didn't work, simple fix by their on-site tech when they installed the HomeLink adapter and rotated the tires for $50. Love the spacious interior for day to day driving and love all the cargo space for my work.

What I don't like about the Model Y: NO CARPLAY! There are several work arounds / add ons to resolve this and I've tried a few. Got one working but not as nice as native CarPlay. Honestly don't like the looks of the car. Sometimes from certain angles it looks OK, but overall I think it's a bit dorky. I don't mind the big screen and nothing in front of me, which everyone who's never owned one will complain about. But I do miss having a few real buttons to control things. Having everything on the screen is not the best.

The EV6 is a very exciting car. We all know that here, right? :D. I think I'd like it for the styling, the CarPlay, the handling and some other features that are not on the Tesla.

Some concerns: it's new and unproven technology, although they're further ahead of all their competitors with EV except for Tesla. It may not hold it's value that well, compared to the Tesla. Finally, not thrilled with the thought of dealing with a dealer for sales and service, but the sales headache is a one time thing. Service probably rarely needed since it's an EV, and a dealer is really close to my house.

So, sorry for the long post. Any feedback one way or another?

Thanks!

P. S. - I haven't even driven one. Local dealer only had one on the lot last weekend and it was already sold, couldn't even sit in it.

·
Registered
Snow White Pearl GT-Line AWD
1,393 Posts
Where you located? You got to find one and test drive. Travel out a little if you have to. It will be the best decision you made to get behind the wheel. The second best decision will be purchasing it. I like power, so I opted for the AWD GT-Line . But either AWD or RED looks to give you better mileage than your current Y.

And you get the federal tax rebate. Did you get it with your Y?

·
Registered
40 Posts
I would be concerned about the lack of inventory and the long waiting time after your order is placed.
Finding one the lot is a miracle at the moment as only 2,125 were sold. You are probably looking at getting your vehicle sometime 1st QTR of 2023.
Place an order and keep driving your Tesla for now. You will have plenty of time to make up your mind.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I had a 21 model S. Traded it for a 22 First Edition. I love the KIA, the build quality is much better, and generally it's even a better ride. I miss some of the info tec and hope KIA will continue to update and make theirs more modern. I agree test drive. It doesnt have that 0 to 60 kick, but didnt ever really use that but for fun. The EV 6 in sport mode does well. Best of luck.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Where you located? You got to find one and test drive. Travel out a little if you have to. It will be the best decision you made to get behind the wheel. The second best decision will be purchasing it. I like power, so I opted for the AWD GT-Line . But either AWD or RED looks to give you better mileage than your current Y.

And you get the federal tax rebate. Did you get it with your Y?
Did not get the tax credit with my Y. I ordered in February 2021, Tesla had used up all their tax credit quota about a year or more prior. However, I was really worried about ordering because I thought the credit would be renewed in 2021 and I'd miss out on a $7,500 discount, making my car about $33,000 if only I had waited. Instead we've seen nothing but price increases since then, so I'm glad I didn't wait.
I would be concerned about the lack of inventory and the long waiting time after your order is placed.
Finding one the lot is a miracle at the moment as only 2,125 were sold. You are probably looking at getting your vehicle sometime 1st QTR of 2023.
Place an order and keep driving your Tesla for now. You will have plenty of time to make up your mind.
Yeah, that's probably magical thinking on my part.

Two things. First, I remember thinking about the Mach-E in the same way last year. That they were all spoken for, long wait times, etc. Yet, I saw a few stories online (and someone I know in real life) of people who bought them off dealer lots. Second, the dealer I visited was beyond disinterested in selling me one. He said they're not taking deposits, etc.

Guess I'm hoping I could sell my car now at it's peak and get into an EV6 right away. I guess it will still be pretty valuable in 9 months.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I had a 21 model S. Traded it for a 22 First Edition. I love the KIA, the build quality is much better, and generally it's even a better ride. I miss some of the info tec and hope KIA will continue to update and make theirs more modern. I agree test drive. It doesnt have that 0 to 60 kick, but didnt ever really use that but for fun. The EV 6 in sport mode does well. Best of luck.
This is what I was going to say. A lot of people that I've talked to have mentioned door panel gaps that are not uniform. Something like that would irritate my OCD. And as for now, not everyone has seen the EV6, so it's under everyone's radar.

·
Registered
8 Posts
We take care of a handicap adult and it sat to low for her to get in and out. She would lean on the window and push it down. I was getting frustrated with lots of little issues with camera, wind noise, ......a number of build issues. I knew I had to make a change so started looking, ordered a Model x (before all the price increases) ordered a mach e, Fisker Ocean. Saved over 50000+ with my first edition over the model x. I have gotten a lot more positive comments on the ev6 in the 3 weeks of ownership than a year with the model s. So check it out.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have gotten a lot more positive comments on the ev6 in the 3 weeks of ownership than a year with the model s. So check it out.
Yep, I'm definitely going to check it out.

I really like the look of the EV6 and I can see how you're gonna get a lot of positive feedback. I'd been following all the news in the EV world for a while, including the EV6 but not too close because it seemed so far away. Then I saw my first one on the road about two weeks ago. I floored it to catch up and get a good look. Smiled and gave a thumbs up to the passenger. Knowing that they were actually shipping rekindled my interest.

Many years ago the first time I saw a Model S in the wild I chased it down too. I think the EV6 styling will always turn heads, but the newness will eventually wear off. Kinda the problem with Teslas now. They're not that unique anymore. And they all kinda look the same.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Got to drive an EV6 for the first time today. When I stopped by the dealer it was a crapshoot as to whether I’d get to drive one. I saw a man and woman sitting in the car when I got there. Presumed they were the new owners since last week I was told the car was already sold and couldn’t go for a test drive. I about gave up and left shortly after they pulled away, but then I saw them driving back. I waited for them to exit and then noticed a sales rep get out of the back seat. Eventually learned that I could test drive it, when through the process of showing my license, etc. Another rep came up and asked for the key because he had someone wanting to drive it. Luckily my rep was going to let me go first. (Or maybe it was just a game and the other rep didn’t have anyone).

So, when I finally got to drive it it had been a little stressful, chaotic, leading up to that point. I plugged in my phone for CarPlay and liked that a lot. I felt rushed and didn’t spend much time getting a comfortable seating position, adjust the mirrors and wheel. The steering wheel was manually adjustable up and down but didn’t telescope. I felt like it was too far away.

When I first got in I bumped my knee a little bit on the bottom of the steering column. The car is a little smaller inside than the Model Y. The pedals and floor is not too deep. Less width. Not tiny, but smaller. Seems to me that having the shift knob right there on the center console right where my hand would rest was kind of wasteful. It’s a convenient location, but for something that is so rarely used it seemed like a lost opportunity.

The HUD bothered me right off the bat. I couldn’t focus on the road. My eyes didn’t seem to handle it as a single image. It was a weird feeling. The salesperson and I fumbled with how to turn it off. That lead to confusion for me seeing the myriad of buttons on the steering wheel trying to find the setting. I found the setting (Google to the Kia EV forum gave me the answer). So I turned it off.

So combine the stress of getting to a test drive, the confusion of getting things set the way I like and having a conversation with the salesperson, and I feel like I wasn’t really present for the test drive. Plus it was a really short drive and I felt hurried to get back because others were waiting.

Briefly tried the paddle shifters for regen. The brakes were grabby, more sensitive than I was used to the first time I touched them, but not an issue after that. I do remember trying to change the climate settings while driving and the controls didn’t make any sense. Bottom line is that I didn’t get a feel for how the car drove.

The key FOB was quite large. Rear hatch area was not huge like Tesla but probably adequate. Same for under floor storage. Just a few inches. Definitely less than the Model Y.

If I had to make a decision today I’m sticking with the Model Y. I left the test drive underwhelmed. But, I would like to try again when they’re less busy and maybe take the car by myself for a bit.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Wow man that sounds like an awful experience. I don't blame you for wanting to keep your Model Y. I'm very satisfied with mine and would have a hard time going back to the Model S. You might want to try a mach e. I was also looking at getting one of those. But if happy with the Y I would keep it. In the next year will be a lot of choices, I'm thinking.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Got to drive an EV6 for the first time today. When I stopped by the dealer it was a crapshoot as to whether I’d get to drive one. I saw a man and woman sitting in the car when I got there. Presumed they were the new owners since last week I was told the car was already sold and couldn’t go for a test drive. I about gave up and left shortly after they pulled away, but then I saw them driving back. I waited for them to exit and then noticed a sales rep get out of the back seat. Eventually learned that I could test drive it, when through the process of showing my license, etc. Another rep came up and asked for the key because he had someone wanting to drive it. Luckily my rep was going to let me go first. (Or maybe it was just a game and the other rep didn’t have anyone).

So, when I finally got to drive it it had been a little stressful, chaotic, leading up to that point. I plugged in my phone for CarPlay and liked that a lot. I felt rushed and didn’t spend much time getting a comfortable seating position, adjust the mirrors and wheel. The steering wheel was manually adjustable up and down but didn’t telescope. I felt like it was too far away.

When I first got in I bumped my knee a little bit on the bottom of the steering column. The car is a little smaller inside than the Model Y. The pedals and floor is not too deep. Less width. Not tiny, but smaller. Seems to me that having the shift knob right there on the center console right where my hand would rest was kind of wasteful. It’s a convenient location, but for something that is so rarely used it seemed like a lost opportunity.

The HUD bothered me right off the bat. I couldn’t focus on the road. My eyes didn’t seem to handle it as a single image. It was a weird feeling. The salesperson and I fumbled with how to turn it off. That lead to confusion for me seeing the myriad of buttons on the steering wheel trying to find the setting. I found the setting (Google to the Kia EV forum gave me the answer). So I turned it off.

So combine the stress of getting to a test drive, the confusion of getting things set the way I like and having a conversation with the salesperson, and I feel like I wasn’t really present for the test drive. Plus it was a really short drive and I felt hurried to get back because others were waiting.

Briefly tried the paddle shifters for regen. The brakes were grabby, more sensitive than I was used to the first time I touched them, but not an issue after that. I do remember trying to change the climate settings while driving and the controls didn’t make any sense. Bottom line is that I didn’t get a feel for how the car drove.

The key FOB was quite large. Rear hatch area was not huge like Tesla but probably adequate. Same for under floor storage. Just a few inches. Definitely less than the Model Y.

If I had to make a decision today I’m sticking with the Model Y. I left the test drive underwhelmed. But, I would like to try again when they’re less busy and maybe take the car by myself for a bit.
My initial experience with the EV6 was similar to your but I did extensive research via YouTube on the car so I knew what to expect. The vehicle that I did my test drive in was an FE and the buyers had changed their mind after they placed the order for the vehicle. When I arrived at the dealership, they were checking out the vehicle but left without closing the deal. The inventory is low so very hard to just stop by a dealer and get a vehicle to drive. I have heard that some dealers are asking for a deposit before letting you take it for a test drive. Fortunately, I didn't have to go through this drill. If you are determined to get one without waiting the 4 to 6 month for delivery, their are numerous links throughout the EV6 forum that gives you an insight into the inventory, both currently in stock and those that are in transit.

·
Registered
27 Posts
The EV6 steering wheel does telescope by the way. You might just need to give in an “umph” to make it move. Mine is a base model “Light” and has both tilt and telescoping and I guess I totally lucked out and bought it off the dealer lot at MSRP three days ago. I’d been researching all the new crop of EV’s and knew this or the I5 were the road tripping cars I wanted but Ohio Hyundai dealers don’t sell the I5 so it was the EV6 for me. I’ve heard another dealer in town is charging 20k over sticker so yeah it’s a crap shoot out there. Good luck if you’re still looking!

·
Registered
8 Posts
So far I love my EV 6. It's a first edition. It has little quirks but far less than my model s. I have also had more folks off the street comment on how cool the car is, than I had on my model s in over a year of ownership. I wish you the best of luck in your search.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I think a lot of this is just getting used to a new vehicle. It's tough. I get it. I have a 2010 Honda, and this past week I purchased a RWD Glacier EV6. It's a lot to get used to from my 2010 Honda's technology. I imagine the curve coming from a Model Y isn't quite as tough, but there are, I'm sure, many different things between the vehicles still.

I need to log more time behind the wheel, but the EV6 has felt quite comfortable for me to adjust to so far. Take advantage of the test drives and let yourself see how you truly feel about it without the surrounding tricks and circumstances. The user above noted it does telescope, so stuff like that might just be a matter of settings and figuring out how to change things up.

·
Registered
2017 Elantra VE
43 Posts
Your dealer experience is why I hate trying to test drive something. It’s not enough time, ever. There’s entirely too much of this car to cover in a trip around the block. Then, you have to dodge calls for a while. You almost have to know someone with the car, or know someone at the dealer to get a “free ride,” so to speak.

I wish Kia would do something like I experienced with Volkswagen. VW had this “event” set up at Fashion Square Mall in Scottsdale. It was VW corporate, not one of the local dealers. You sign a waiver, then go on about a 20 minute loop in the ID.4 on your own around the area. No sales pitch, no pressure, no nothing. And it worked, too, because I’m still considering the ID.4.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Your dealer experience is why I hate trying to test drive something. It’s not enough time, ever. There’s entirely too much of this car to cover in a trip around the block. Then, you have to dodge calls for a while. You almost have to know someone with the car, or know someone at the dealer to get a “free ride,” so to speak.

I wish Kia would do something like I experienced with Volkswagen. VW had this “event” set up at Fashion Square Mall in Scottsdale. It was VW corporate, not one of the local dealers. You sign a waiver, then go on about a 20 minute loop in the ID.4 on your own around the area. No sales pitch, no pressure, no nothing. And it worked, too, because I’m still considering the ID.4.
I'm in Tucson. Called every dealer in AZ with very little luck. Only Royal Kia was doing MSRP, but they can't order anymore for some reason. Ended up going out of state.

·
Registered
GT-Line 2 (initial 200)
709 Posts
When I was first EV shopping I took both a Mustang Mach-E and a Volvo XC40 Recharge for overnight test drives. I had to plan them in advance with the sales rep etc., but it's totally doable and a great way to test things like lighting, and to actually live with the vehicle for a bit.

(Edit: I meant this to be a reply to @Paul Henry X-Ray )

·
Registered
12 Posts
Just joined to chime in, for what it's worth.
I purchased an EV6 Wind AWD with tech package yesterday! I had actually ordered a Tesla Model Y a while back, which wasn't supposed to be available until this fall, but they called me Friday and, by some fluke, had one available for me. I had to make the decision fast and my wife and I weren't enamored with the Y. We loved the spaciousness, proven track record, charging infrastructure, and instant acceleration it provided, but we were hesitant about lack of button control, lack of glass roof shade, lack of ventilated seats, stiff and firm ride on Michigan roads, and the fact that driver and passenger air vents couldn't be individually disabled. All of this stuff is subjective, of course, and we may have gotten used to some or all of these things, but we felt a little uncomfortable buying a $60,000 car without absolutely loving every detail - that said, we were totally going to give it a shot, especially given it has tremendous resale value.

I had heard good things about the Kia EV6 and found one a little over an hour a way so went and test drove it yesterday morning. Honestly, my intention was to drive it so that I could discount it and feel better about my decision to purchase the Y - I really didn't think it would compare. But boy was I wrong!

Driving the EV6 put an instant smile on my face. I like the look of the 2 screens and it has all the little features I was worried about forgoing on the Y: ventilated seats (3 levels actually, along with 3 levels of heated seats), physical controls for traditional features plus paddle shifters for the regenerative breaking modes and a button to set the drive mode (Eco, Normal, Sport, and Snow). But most of all, what I really loved was the feel on the road. It absorbed the bumps in our terrible Michigan roads like they weren't even there! It might even drive smoother than our Chrysler Pacifica PHEV. I couldn't get over how smooth the ride was compared to the Y, and this was something I was really concerned about with the Y (to the point that I was even researching aftermarket luxury coilovers for the Y's suspension, but also felt annoyed to be considering modifying a new car like that).

Now I don't want to come across as bashing the Model Y. It's a great car and I nearly purchased it. I also think my wife and I may have gotten used to some of the things we were concerned about. However, as stated above - the EV6 just put an instant smile on my face and I new it would suit us better.

There are just a few things I gave up to get the EV6 instead of the Tesla Model Y, but for us what we considered pros far outweighed these things!
  • some range (274 vs 330 on paper)
  • the best charging infrastructure (although I bought an adapter for the Tesla Charger because I've heard that works?)
  • a little space (but I think the EV6 will be sufficient - it still feels quite large)
  • rocket-like acceleration (the EV6 Wind is still plenty quick - it just doesn't have the same kick as the Y. If they'd had a GT Line available I probably would have purchased that. Would have loved to have test driven one. But they didn't and we're in need of a car now. This is one minor detail that's bothering me a tad... woke up this morning thinking about it!)
  • established track record (a tiny bit uneasy about buying a first year model, but Kia has a great warranty and they've been producing great products lately, so we took the risk!)

Then, just to be thorough with minor complaints :)
  • I initially had the steering wheel in a low position (where I think it's more comfortable for me), but I had to raise it to see the speedometer through the wheel. Not a big deal at all, and the new higher position was fine enough comfort wise.
  • Some of the buttons are shiny black plastic. I prefer the matte finish buttons in our Chrysler Pacifica PHEV.

Lastly, I've read online that it would be better if the EV6 had the option to manually preheat the battery via the app and/or infotainment system. From what I've read, charging times in cold climates are more than doubled without having this feature. There is a petition to add this feature here:

I really don't like ending my review with a list of things "I wish it had!", but I wanted to be thorough :) For my wife and I, the EV6 feels like the more appropriate car.

Hope this is useful to someone.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts