Kia EV Forum banner

Sept first...reservation day

3K views 19 replies 8 participants last post by  jchcolorado 
#1 ·
For first edition US reservation holders....Anyone contemplating cancelling their reservation or changing car color/gift? I'm locking in my urban yellow with no regrets. Here is to hoping for no delays in delivery as we are currently a one car household.

#9 · (Edited)
I decided on white with home charger after originally alternating between white and matte gray. Not sure if I will be keeping this reservation because I am looking at a few other EVs and also placed an order for an etron. As long I don’t run into any issues with the etron order, that’s the direction I plan to go since it will probably arrive this year. I test drove the etron and I loved it. Can’t test the ev6 yet so it’s hard to compare. But the ev6 first edition is my backup plan in case the etron doesn’t work out.

#11 ·
We are a two car family and we want get an ev as the second car. Options for a family-sized ev are getting better but a bit limited right now. We are considering the ev6, Id.4, etron, MY, and Mach e. The q4 etron is not available yet and i prefer a first edition ev6 to the ionic. All of these evs cost within a few thousand dollars of each other. The etron is at the high end of the range but discounts are possible making it closer than one would think.

A few things: 1) I’ve test driven the etron three times…all good experiences; 2) I will be able take take delivery before the end of the year (for tax credit); and 3) we liked it more than the mach e we also test drove. IMO, the interior of the etron was nicer than the Mach e and Tesla MY, and interior is far more important to me than other factors. Though we only drove the mach e select, the ride quality and interior were very different. Maybe that’s an unfair comparison because we are more interested in a premium/gt mach e. Range is not really an issue for me because we rarely drive more than 50 miles a day, will nearly always charge at home, and we have an ICE as a road trip car.

I like the Kia because it’s a first edition, it charges fast, the interior looks high quality and the tech is arguably better than the etron or the mach e. But…I can’t test drive it.

I am worried about ev reliability and long term repair costs for any of these cars, but particularly with the etron.

#14 ·
I am worried about ev reliability and long term repair costs for any of these cars, but particularly with the etron.
EVs in general have less maintenance to be concerned with compared to an ICE vehicle and I fell they all will go through some growing pains. Tesla is getting better over time but I believe the others that have been making cars longer should have good reliability as well. The Koreans are striving the beat the Japanese and have a couple of models coming to market. Germans have their share of issues on the vehicles with more tech, I am somewhat concerned about them long term. I have 5 months in my e tron and it had to have a coolant valve and an AC sensor replaced. For overall comfort, it is a really nice highway cruiser. I've taken road trips from Phoenix to San Diego and Flagstaff and she has done well on both. Been down to Tucson a couple of times and it just eats up the miles. I know I gave up some speed with the trade of the Stinger, lost the heads up display and those nice bucket seats with the leg (driver side) extension however, the ride comfort, quiet cabin and extra space inside and in the cargo area makes up for that.

What I worry about is the long term reliability. If this pans out to somehow be reliable, I would want to keep it for the long haul. I've had KIA's since 2012 and they have been served me well, just been trading up for newer tech and updated looks. My 17 Optima Hybrid is still with us and will be 5 years in December. I'm hoping KIA does a good job on the GT and not price it too crazy, I would be a taker for one, unless they come out with something nicer.

#13 ·
I live in the DMV area and have 3 Audi dealerships closer than the closest Kia dealer. But Kia is still not far and I do like the warranty. I’m very torn. Having options is a huge concern for me because I have been looking at availability for several months and there just isn’t much available right now.

If all of these options fall through for whatever reason and I got another ICE, I would try to get a gv70 for the warranty.

#15 ·
I live in the DMV area and have 3 Audi dealerships closer than the closest Kia dealer. But Kia is still not far and I do like the warranty. I’m very torn. Having options is a huge concern for me because I have been looking at availability for several months and there just isn’t much available right now.

If all of these options fall through for whatever reason and I got another ICE, I would try to get a gv70 for the warranty.
Wow, really? Where in the DMV are you that you can find more Audi dealers than KIA?

#16 · (Edited)
Montgomery County has 3 Audi dealers and 1 KIA dealer (Hersons). There are other Audi and KIA dealers in the area, of course, but not as convenient for me.

If I end up with the EV6, I hope I don’t need to have it serviced often but I always prefer to get a car serviced where I bought it.

I appreciate the road trip info. With any ev, I would like to be comfortable using it that way at times. The charging network seems to be fairly good on the east coast, though I’ve watched the videos showing it’s not yet as seamless as filling a gas tank.

#19 ·
Remember EVs aren’t like ICE vehicles, the servicing, at least on the e tron consists of mainly checks, every 10K miles. The brake fluid is due for change every 2 years, pads, well that will be a much longer time due to the regen operating before the service brakes. I guess a good way to get an idea on KIA’s EV service schedule, is to look up the info on the Niro EV. That would give you some idea.

#18 ·
I'm in the same sits more or less. Cant decide which one to buy. Already ordered my EV6-GT-line but only because i can cancel it (for a feel) but not a huge deal.
I simply must test drive it. Considering how much it cost it must feel perfect.
Sadly the step up is sort of a big jump. Here in Sweden the etron/tesla model S (hate the model 3 due to lack of dashboard + ugly design) or anything that is good cost a bit higher then EV6.
I think i want to go with Testal S for the infrastructure and simply speed/range and tech but it cost much more. So i'm waiting and hoping that the EV6 wont let me down. I think i might be able to see it and test it next month. Counting the hours hehe
ps. So far my favorite is EQC from mercedes. I have tested several but none impressed me that much. Even tested Polestar2 last week. Not so bad but its so small inside and some other irritating factors like the middle section being to big. My leg sort of pushed into them. This is the issue with most fossil car platforms. Speed was great though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.