Kia EV6 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Kia EV6 Wind
134 Posts
Here's the US regulations: https://www.ecfr.gov/current/title-49/subtitle-B/chapter-V/part-571 . The relevent table is Table IV-a - Effective Projected Luminous Lens Area Requirements. Each "compartment or lamp" for a multi-lamp turn signal must be 2200 mm^2 and the total must be 5000 mm^2. They obviously were just thinking about incandecent lamps in reflector pockets and didn't contemplate a matrix display. I assume the sections with multiple LED lamps count as one "compartment".

But if/until the regulation is changed, the animated lights are not legal. By the time they do, we'll probably have a video screen on the back of the car with the taillights drawn on it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a US Avalon Hybrid with sequential turn signals. A friend at the DOT explained to me that the requirement for sequential signals is that a portion of the signal must be full on/off instantly and the sequential portion can follow afterwards. That's exactly what the Avalon does and I've seen a number of other US vehicles with the same sequential setup (Audi, Mustang and others). It's not a deal breaker, but it's a distinctive touch for an otherwise other-worldly vehicle.

·
Registered
2017 Elantra VE
43 Posts
Cnsheets said:
They should set it so it all comes on initially, then sequentially turns off. I would think this would meet the regulation then.
The Mach E does this with a separate amber/yellow turn signal. It lights up fully, then "fades away" to the outside edge of the car.

I personally feel very strongly that brake lights should never, in any circumstances, double as the rear turn signal light.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts