Kia EV6 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all!

I put a deposit down on a red GT-Line AWD with a dealership that is about 1000 miles away. They are going to ship it to me in an open carrier for $1800. Sounds like I could opt for enclosed shipping for $3000. I’ve read that about 90% of people opt for the cheaper, open shipping. What are peoples’ experience with shipping autos? Any issues with going the open carrier route? I’m mainly concerned about damage from being exposed to the elements, but sounds like the shipper has some type of damage guarantee and it will also be on my insurance by the time it goes on the truck. It sounds like a few of year are considering going this option to avoid a pricey mark-up, so thought I might get some real world experience to draw off of!

·
Registered
2022 EV6 GT-L RWD, 1973 Triumph TR6
230 Posts
Congrats on your order. I was fortunate to find the exact car I wanted in inventory at one of my local dealers. However, if they had not been willing to negotiate their $10K markup, I was going to buy out of state too.

If I had gone that route, I was going to just fly there and drive home, about 500 miles. What better way to learn about your new EV6? :ROFLMAO:

Check out airfares to see if that’s a less expensive option. If it’s going to be on an open hauler, driving it seems to be a reasonable alternative.

·
Registered
65 Posts
$3000 seems kind of steep. I read a review about a guy that used Plycar that was enclosed. He said there were some issues with communication, but he was otherwise happy. Maybe call some companies yourself as I suspect the dealership is skimming a little off the top.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Congrats on your order. I was fortunate to find the exact car I wanted in inventory at one of my local dealers. However, if they had not been willing to negotiate their $10K markup, I was going to buy out of state too.

If I had gone that route, I was going to just fly there and drive home, about 500 miles. What better way to learn about your new EV6? :ROFLMAO:

Check out airfares to see if that’s a less expensive option. If it’s going to be on an open hauler, driving it seems to be a reasonable alternative.
Yeah, I’d do 500, but 1000 is a bit much. I could probably save a bit of money flying and making the drive, but not a ton. Plus my time has a bit of value. Also, not sure if I want to get to know my EV on a 1000 mile trek ha

·
Registered
2022 EV6 GT-L RWD, 1973 Triumph TR6
230 Posts
All those are legitimate reasons. I made the decision long ago, that I was not valuing my time enough. But since I retired, I’ve got no one to bill for it except me. LOL

·
Registered
Snow White Pearl GT-Line AWD
1,406 Posts
I just received mine from Colorado. I’m in So Cal. Almost 1200 miles. I was quoted $1200 for shipping on an open trailer. Ended up only costing me $800. Shipper took full 360 pictures before loading and also after it got here. A little dirt, but that’s it. And fully insured as well. Shipping done through Marvel Transport.

Wheel Sky Land vehicle Car Tire

1 - 8 of 8 Posts