Kia EV6 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear All,

There seems to be some confusion into size of the winter tyres for those EV6's having 20 inch summer ones.

Kia make it quite clear that the chassis setup is specific and that although you can reduce to 19 inch, they do not recommend it. Also due to the weight of the car.
Below is a reply from Kia on this, translation okish from Denmark:

It is true that we strongly recommend the OE size;
19 "on cars delivered with 19"
20 ”on cars with 20” ..!
The chassis setup is different from the factory, depending on which wheels they supply the car with. At our webinar for the spare parts department, we reviewed everything on this topic.

But it is correct that Danish legislation, unfortunately, opens up the possibility of mounting exactly what you want.
The only requirements are:
Wheels must not prevent steering, brakes or suspension from working freely
The indentation (ONE dimension) and roll diameter must also be complied with, cf. legislation

Changing wheels will thus affect how the EV6 behaves and feels on the road. That it is an electric car with high weight and a lot of power (NM / HK) and rear wheel drive, just makes it even more pronounced than we are used to with the more conventional powertrains.

You can get a good idea of how much wheels / tires are pressed on the EV6 via this link, which shows an "elk test" (there are just a few commercials in Norwegian first 😊)

Completely independent of our decision, Hyundai DK has also announced the same to their dealers / customers.

The original question:

There are obviously various announcements from dealers
About what size winter wheels are correct for EV6.
I mean definitely we were told that if the car was
Mounted from the factory with 20 ”wheels, it should also have
20 ”winter wheels, but I have received an inquiry from a customer
I have been told by another dealer that it is fine with 19 ”
What is correct?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Dear All,

There seems to be some confusion into size of the winter tyres for those EV6's having 20 inch summer ones.

Kia make it quite clear that the chassis setup is specific and that although you can reduce to 19 inch, they do not recommend it. Also due to the weight of the car.
Below is a reply from Kia on this, translation okish from Denmark:

It is true that we strongly recommend the OE size;
19 "on cars delivered with 19"
20 ”on cars with 20” ..!
The chassis setup is different from the factory, depending on which wheels they supply the car with. At our webinar for the spare parts department, we reviewed everything on this topic.

But it is correct that Danish legislation, unfortunately, opens up the possibility of mounting exactly what you want.
The only requirements are:
Wheels must not prevent steering, brakes or suspension from working freely
The indentation (ONE dimension) and roll diameter must also be complied with, cf. legislation

Changing wheels will thus affect how the EV6 behaves and feels on the road. That it is an electric car with high weight and a lot of power (NM / HK) and rear wheel drive, just makes it even more pronounced than we are used to with the more conventional powertrains.

You can get a good idea of how much wheels / tires are pressed on the EV6 via this link, which shows an "elk test" (there are just a few commercials in Norwegian first 😊)

Completely independent of our decision, Hyundai DK has also announced the same to their dealers / customers.

The original question:

There are obviously various announcements from dealers
About what size winter wheels are correct for EV6.
I mean definitely we were told that if the car was
Mounted from the factory with 20 ”wheels, it should also have
20 ”winter wheels, but I have received an inquiry from a customer
I have been told by another dealer that it is fine with 19 ”
What is correct?
Thanks for info. The strange think in the Netherlands however is that for AWD there is cheaper (Plus) version with 19", and a more luxurious version (GT-line, not GT...) with 20" wheels. Weight of both cars similar.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I assume this is due to the additional "play" in the tire wall of 19" vs 20". So the tuning of the suspension is such that 20" would be tuned slightly softer. If you then add 19" winter tyres you have BOTH additional play and the softer set up and that might cause issues with the Elk test. Just my guess.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Be interesting to see the part numbers for the suspension components between the 19" wheel vehicles and 20" wheel ones to verify if this is correct.
unless it's the same parts to different settings. I heard there were some crazy number of variations and Kia tuned the suspension very carefully. It was not electronic like magnaride but I have no idea what was involved. I know the suspension can me initially soft and then harden for longer travel... but then my push bike does the same.

·
Registered
89 Posts
unless it's the same parts to different settings. I heard there were some crazy number of variations and Kia tuned the suspension very carefully. It was not electronic like magnaride but I have no idea what was involved. I know the suspension can me initially soft and then harden for longer travel... but then my push bike does the same.
True, preload or various dampening adjustments might be available on the components. Factory server manual would be the biggest tell.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello.

The real issue between 19 "and 20" wheels is only interested in a very striking detail and that is ..... consumption. It is curious, but very true that carrying those huge wheels of ..... 255/45 R20 make the vehicle lose ..... autonomy, but come on, a few kilometers, and it is simple and pure science.

The greater the footprint on the road, the more friction and therefore .... more friction and therefore ...... less autonomy.

The curious thing, observing that detail of the wheels, has made me always look carefully at the videos where the EV6s are shown, stopping the filming to see what data is read in the image where the wheels appear, and you can see very interesting things, technically talking.

Here, there is a curiosity for example. In the tires where the 19 "wheels are seen, the load index goes from 104 to 105 and vice versa with the 20" but ..... the maximum speed index is always higher in the smallest with the letter V , which indicates up to 240 km / hour.

In the EV6 of 20 ", the issue is against, the maximum speed is reduced to 210 km / hour with the letter ..... H.

What really matters is that there is the same car, rear engine with 19 "and 20" rim, and the same with dual engine with 19 "and 20" rim.

Only the equipment changes between them, that is, I finish simple or full equipment. I believe that the two sizes of rim and wheel will appear on the technical sheet of each car, which are:

235/55 R19
255/45 R20

Although between both measurements if the throat or width of the rim varies, which goes from 7.5Jx19 "to 8.0Jx20".

By the way, the GT with a lot of horses does not go very far either, as much as 255/40 R21, and an 8.5Jx21 "tire.

I am looking at how to reduce the width of the tire without changing the rim, and thus gain those kilometers that 19 "have. Therefore, when mounting an equivalent tire, if it is illegal or we have problems with the ITV or TUV.

The measurement would be a 235/50 R20 "with a load index of 104 and maximum speed with the letter H. There is one and it is from Michelin the PILOT SPORT 4 SUV JLR model but with a speed index Y, which is better.

Sorry that this in Spanish, in case, it is more comfortable to say that the terms in English are as follows.

Batería Largo Alcance ---- Long range battery is 77Kw

Estandar ----- Standard is 58Kw

Mixto ----- Ciudad ----- Autopista ----- Peso

Mixed ----- City ----- Highway ----- Weight

Font Line Material property Screenshot Number

The consumption of almost 40km to carry 255 versus 235 is to look at it, if just by reducing the width of the tire you win, not only also when it comes to mounting a winter tire that we all know will always be much better for the environment.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts