Kia EV6 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've got an order (Nov) in for the EV6 GT Line S AWD. . . but wondered (as I didn't test it at the time) does it have a smart opening (virtual pedal type) boot?

Quick search shows other Kia with the ability to stand by the boot for 3 seconds and it opens up?

That said - really glad I found this forum - lots of great information. . . although I'm starting to feel the promised March/April delivery is going to slip :(

·
Registered
53 Posts
Yes there is an option in the menu to automatically open the boot when you have the key with you and 'loiter' for a certain number of seconds behind the car. Some have commented they love it and others (often dependent on where the car is parked at home) moan it opens every time they walk past the back of the car. Don't know if the 'loitering' time can be changed.

Re delivery, anything can happen. In my case ordered 29th September (same spec as you) for March/April delivery, picked up by me 10th December from dealer!! I can only assume I fell lucky picking up someone else's cancelled order.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes there is an option in the menu to automatically open the boot when you have the key with you and 'loiter' for a certain number of seconds behind the car. Some have commented they love it and others (often dependent on where the car is parked at home) moan it opens every time they walk past the back of the car. Don't know if the 'loitering' time can be changed.

Re delivery, anything can happen. In my case ordered 29th September (same spec as you) for March/April delivery, picked up by me 10th December from dealer!! I can only assume I fell lucky picking up someone else's cancelled order.
Thanks :) pretty good on the ordering timeline! I've gone for the matte grey - so not sure if that affects things based on other threads.

·
Registered
53 Posts
You may be right, mine is white so no known issues but I do remember reading comments elsewhere that they may be delaying Matte Grey ones to ensure the paint is correct.

·
Registered
17 Posts
No it can't be changed (5 seconds - which feels very long when you need it and very short when not). The only issue I had with it it triggered while plugin in charging cable but I learned to move slightly, use my other hand and stay off the detection.

·
Registered
223 Posts
No it can't be changed (5 seconds - which feels very long when you need it and very short when not). The only issue I had with it it triggered while plugin in charging cable but I learned to move slightly, use my other hand and stay off the detection.
I love it.

It doesn’t take as long as 5 seconds in the UK - maybe 3.

If you are just walking past the boot it will beep, but not open if you keep walking.

In the UK it cannot open while you are plugging in because the car has to be unlocked when plugging in. The car must be locked for at least 30 seconds after you lock, to avoid an unplanned boot opening event as you leave the car.

So, working perfectly here and well thought out.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I'd like it to be GPS aware so it doesn't operate at home. I can see me getting annoyed with this if it opens up at home when I'm on the drive with the kids playing in the street.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Has anyone had it open unexpectedly to hit an open up & over garage door or low multi-storey car park roof? It should open only when the keys are in range. Its not fitted to my ordered GT Line.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Has anyone had it open unexpectedly to hit an open up & over garage door or low multi-storey car park roof? It should open only when the keys are in range. Its not fitted to my ordered GT Line.
Bottom line is that it’s a great feature and I’ve had no issues with it. You can adjust the height the door goes to if you want.

·
Registered
289 Posts
That would be a simple solution if there was a microphone outside the back of the car. 😀
Yes, key word WOULD have been, if they would have planned for it. It certainly wouldn't have been expensive, the car already has voice recognition, just a few bucks in wholesale cost of a mic & wiring would have given them a fairly slick solution that I'm not aware any other cars have yet. Lost opportunity. 😞

·
Registered
75 Posts
Yeah, but would you like it if it started answering back to you?

What were those immortal words - "I'm sorry Dave, I can't do that" or "Yes, Michael" :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: dc30307

·
Registered
223 Posts
Yes, key word WOULD have been, if they would have planned for it. It certainly wouldn't have been expensive, the car already has voice recognition, just a few bucks in wholesale cost of a mic & wiring would have given them a fairly slick solution that I'm not aware any other cars have yet. Lost opportunity. 😞
I’m not sure the world is ready to stand in the street talking to the back of a car. Particularly at those times when you find yourself having to repeat the command in ever louder attempts to get the response you want! 😀

It just feels like pausing within a couple of feet from the boot to trigger opening is quite an elegant solution with no real world issues. No need to even say anything. It just opens.

I’m in the fortunate position of having the car sitting right in my driveway so I can tell you it works very well indeed as currently supplied.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts