Kia EV6 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For this Thursday I decided to just test a couple of EVs out. Purely out of interest, to see how the EV6 compares. The cars were:

• BMW i4 (eDrive 40)
  • Ford Mustang Mach-E (I got the GT but wanted the normal AWD, sadly didn't have that)

I4:

PROS:

• Great handling
  • I wish the RWD EV6 had this much power (~280hp)
  • The technology is quite a bit ahead of the stuff in the EV6. Talking most infotainment look feel, layout, response and interaction. The fact that you have that iDrive controller makes it very usable while driving. Ev6 one isn' t terrible but not nearly as good as iDrive 8 in the i4. Display quality as wel, sharp as a needle
  • general refinement levels very high (sound proofing mainly)
  • Good ride comfort and refinement despite it being the M-Sport model (stiffer suspension)
  • Good boot space with a practical hatchback opening for such a low car. Definitely good enough for me.
  • Seats were good
  • Nice interior

CONS:

• Couldn't test the auto steering, wasn't selected :cautious:
  • Definitely didn't feel as roomy as the EV6, that is a pro for me since I like sporty feeling cars, but probably a con for most people. Definitely have a more cramped feeling.

Yeah that is about it. I love the car, but funny enough the EV6 matches the i4 in terms of ride comfort and refinement. Sure the BMW feels a bit nicer to sit in, but that is just logical because it is more expensive. The tech is just way better though. Overall good car, definitely recommended if it fits within budget.

The Mach-E......

Oh boy

PROS:

• Roomy feel
  • Nice enough looking interior.
  • Good handling, generally (GT model after all)
  • Good seats
  • Quality feels decent, not as good as EV6 I feel. not much in between them though. Door closing sound especially, was pretty bad.

CONS:

• Ride quality was rough and bouncy. Very unrefined. Even for a sportscar. The level of smaller vibrations from the tires was a lot higher than in the i4 and EV6.
  • Sound insulation felt lacking, especially in wheel arches
  • Infotainment is rubbish. I hate it. Bad layout, 10FPS animations, slow response. Felt terrible to use. Way worse than EV6 and not even comparable to i4.

I am assuming the ride part is nicer in a non-GT model. but as far as what I have experienced here I am not impressed with the Mach-E at all. Ev6 feels like a nicer car to drive in overall and the tech works better..... and is cheaper

As a conclusion: The EV6 is a much better car than we might believe. I went in thinking that I'd get buyer's remorse afterwards, but in the end i went home happier with my EV6 than when going in.

·
Registered
Nissan Leaf, Volvo V60
40 Posts
Thanks, Rygem... very interesting and useful. I'm i4 curious - can you comment on ease of entry (I'm 6'2" and my current v60 is a pain in the back to get in)?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Rygem... very interesting and useful. I'm i4 curious - can you comment on ease of entry (I'm 6'2" and my current v60 is a pain in the back to get in)?
It is a low car. So it will feel a bit hard to get in to. Just the nature of all of these very low sedans/liftback cars. I am ~5'11 with proportionally long legs and I can get in fine but it is a bit awkward still.

It will feel a lot like a conventional ICE in the interior. Like the normal center console, so your knees will hit the console a bit. But they have padded the area where you rest your knee, so it is not too bad.

The rear seats are not super large. good in my case but if you have taller passengers it will not be very roomy.

·
Registered
Nissan Leaf, Volvo V60
40 Posts
Thanks. (I meant pain in my back... i try not to have tall friends). What you describe is good to know and easy to imagine. Would definitely need to sit in one. The Polestar is like that, but its center console is hard plastic -- a deal breaker for me.
Cheers

·
Registered
51 Posts
I could be possibly be tempted if they made a Touring version, I need a big hatchback and long load bay for bikes and other kit. Estates are just not trendy any more though, I doubt they'll make an EV one. Same for everyone else.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I could be possibly be tempted if they made a Touring version, I need a big hatchback and long load bay for bikes and other kit. Estates are just not trendy any more though, I doubt they'll make an EV one. Same for everyone else.
MG have an estate though it might not be to your liking. The
orsche Taycan Sport and Cross Turismo are estate-y if pricey. Audi have promised a Q6 eTron Avant and there will also be an estate version of the upcoming VW AeroB EV. The ID Space Vizzion shows what it should look like.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I am not in the Porsche market. I need space for two bikes in the back and/or sea kayaks on the roof which I can load without a stepladder, hence most SUVs are hopeless. The space in the EV6 with seats folded is actually good and the long roof is OK for the boats whilst just a couple of cm taller than my Volvo V60 cross country.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I am not in the Porsche market. I need space for two bikes in the back and/or sea kayaks on the roof which I can load without a stepladder, hence most SUVs are hopeless. The space in the EV6 with seats folded is actually good and the long roof is OK for the boats whilst just a couple of cm taller than my Volvo V60 cross country.
If I could I would do an EV conversion of a V60 as it is such a stylish car! I grew up in the back of a 145 Estate and if Volvo ever decide to make an EV Station Wagon I will be the first in line. Regarding the EV6, if the trunk was bigger and more functional it would be my default choice now as I cannot afford a Taycan.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts