Kia EV6 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an EV6 which I love, but have been reading about solid state batteries entering the market in about 3years. So my question is are going to allow for a battery update (at a cost,obviously) when the technology exists. Just wondering.

·
Registered
472 Posts
I have an EV6 which I love, but have been reading about solid state batteries entering the market in about 3years. So my question is are going to allow for a battery update (at a cost,obviously) when the technology exists. Just wondering.
No, it won't be economic. I've been watching Solid State through my work for over ten years. There are numerous versions very few of which are even close to economic manufacturing so don't hold your breath. They will come but it will not be an overnight change as scaling the manufacturing will take 5 years.

There might be a battery upgrade market for EV's in 7-10 years time but I wouldn't hold your breath. IMO it should not be a reason to wait as the development carrolsell has been running since 1908.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, it won't be economic. I've been watching Solid State through my work for over ten years. There are numerous versions very few of which are even close to economic manufacturing so don't hold your breath. They will come but it will not be an overnight change as scaling the manufacturing will take 5 years.

There might be a battery upgrade market for EV's in 7-10 years time but I wouldn't hold your breath. IMO it should not be a reason to wait as the development carrolsell has been running since 1908.
All that is true ,though though Toyota have just tested a solid state car this week. So thought p
All that is true, though Toyota have just road tested a solid state. With this in mind and everyone overcomes manufacturing and Drendrite issues with recharging. Do think kia/ hyundai have thought about the compatibility of solid state battery pack?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Limited production 2025 -> Expect that first car will be 2yrs later on the earliest -> 2027. By that time I am ready for next car :cool:

Toyota is developing the solid-state batteries through Prime Planet Energy & Solutions Inc., a joint venture with Panasonic that started operations in April 2020 and has about 5,100 employees, including 2,400 at a Chinese subsidiary. We are on track for limited production by 2025 and looking forward to sharing more details when the time is right.

·
Registered
472 Posts
All that is true ,though though Toyota have just tested a solid state car this week. So thought p

All that is true, though Toyota have just road tested a solid state. With this in mind and everyone overcomes manufacturing and Drendrite issues with recharging. Do think kia/ hyundai have thought about the compatibility of solid state battery pack?
oh, Toyota... that bastion of sustainability with their "self charging hybrids"... 🤣

It's relatively easy for many companies to build small batches of solid state batteries in the lab, then make up packs and use them in a test mule. Que big press announcement.

Making the batteries at scale and then getting them right, at the right price will take years, even AFTER they get the chemistry and processes right. From memory, I think that took Tesla 4 years. I remember the Investors getting very nervous.

Toyota are making "technology statements" to pacify shareholders because they are way behind BEV having bet on Hybrid and hydrogen.

Even when they come to market the unit numbers will be really low and you won’t be able to buy one for love nor money. I think their own targets are 2026 onwards for serious numbers by which time there will be others too.

By that time my EV6 will be trading at around £15k and 200 miles of range will be fine for many users. 800v charging protects residuals too as the charging infrastructure will be so much better.

You can bet your last dollar the Korean's are working on solid state. They make the best batteries in the world right now. Compatibility is pretty easy. Battery management is less so but they are already good at it, perhaps the best. "Coldgating" is battery management at work. Mercedes do it, Ford do it, Kia and Hyundai do it. Tesla have the best battery conditioning tech but even they have to do it as it's all Chemistry.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Actually looking for all the progression to come in the future, I have made the jump right now.
As my diesel is really expensive in fixed fees (2200 euro a year to allow to drive on the road). The next 2 years Kia EV6 0 euro...
The diesel I got a good return by dealer and the exptancy is the write off will be huge in the next years (will go over 200k).. Right time to switch..

Quick charging will change the minds of peope and actually 2-3yrs in future about range anxiety. Second home charging now is less expense to drive and much cheaper then diesel...

In the end when I drive the car 3-5yrs it is less expensive then my current car even with the high initial investment.. The comment that all these advantages are for the rich people do make sense. I am happy that I can afford it and make us of it to transition. Second I do like to contribute to better world and less polution in my village. I know electricity is not always green, but my supplier does garantee 100% green energy is bought.. But that does not mean that the actual elecricity that comes out of the wall is green. Mine comes from gas. I live in south of limburg and only plant in the neighboorhood.

The car industry will have to change as the battery is more or less equal for every manufactor. The springs come from 3rd parties. The design both interior as exterior will make the difference.. It's not anymore about the engine, gears, etc...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts