Kia EV6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

Registered
GT-Line.
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
____
Reddit:
https://www.reddit.com/r/electricvehicles/comments/s42ycz Just sat in the new EV6. Kind of a letdown. Details inside.

I had the opportunity to sit in and look over the new Kia EV6. Here are my impressions:
Outside: In the metal, it's quite long. It is also narrow. It's long and narrow. It looks heavy. It reminds me of the Jaguar i-Pace. It also rides a lot lower than I was expecting. I think it's being marketed as an SUV or something, but it's really more like a station wagon. The best part of the EV6 is the rear end. It is fantastic. It has faux metal with stamping in them. Really classy.
Inside: The first words that came to my mind were 'plain' and 'cheap.' The center console is interesting but the plastic it's made from is on the cheap side. Same with the gear selector. Also, it just seemed so plain, like a Nissan or a Toyota. There was no sense of occasion about it. Nothing about it said it was upmarket or hip or even electric. On the plus side, it seemed well screwed together. I didn't get the feeling there would be creaks and rattles after a few thousand miles. Also, the screen is pretty nice and it works well and it's quick.
I'm a big EV fanboy and I was planning on buying either an EV6 or Ioniq, just wanted to see them in the metal first. After what I saw today, I don't think I would get the EV6, I'm hoping for more from the Ioniq. Your mileage may vary.

__
I'll wait for the US online reviews and of course my own opinion when I finally sit in it.

Registered
- I Denmark ( at my dealer) they called it more a high hatchback than SUV / MPV

- I think most of the plastic look/felling are people who forgets it's still a KIA and not a Mercedes, sure there are plastic and it's something I don't like about the car, but also know if there should not be the felling I have to pay way more in others brands.

Super Moderator
Ordered July 21 Yacht Blue GT Line S AWD with Heat Pump Arrived 14 May 2022
:LOL: :LOL: You try driving a G-Wagon, Hummer or any of the other large cars people enjoy in the USA in the UK, your get stuck around most towns and country lanes.

One thing I wish we had in the UK from our friends in the USA is there car parking space size, your never have an idiot banging the side of your car then.

As for plain, can not wait to see what he says of the Ioniq 5, that's more plain.

Registered
We are all entitled to our views on things but to describe the interior as 'plain' seems just odd. The Mach+E and Enyag are very dowdy by comparison. The Tesla is distinctive of course and more obviously 'different'

I agree the centre console looks and feels a bit cheap, but not much different to others in the sector, including the Tesla

I also hadn't realised 'station wagon' was an insult! My EV6 is going to replace a Volvo V60 'Station Wagon'.

Registered
Personal opinion indeed. I made a test drive in Ionique after being in the Kia. I did not like the interior at all. The white plastic was in my eyes very cheap looking.
I find the exterior looks of the Ionic5 very cool. They really played with capabilties of LED lighting, but I am not so sure how this expressive look will last in the coming years.

For me the more traditional outside with real explicit rear got my attention. The interior is clean but it has all it needs. Since today Vegan is replacing leather we also see more and more plastics introduced in cars. Which is less luxurios as BMW or Merc. But then you should also be happy to spend another 15-20K extra which is 30% surplus.

For me Kia found my sweetspot with EV6 between luxury, price, range and capabilties. But I am sure biased as a future owner..

Registered
I agree with some of these things, however everyone is entitled to their views in my book. I came from 10 years of Audi cars and one BMW (mid life crisis), let me tell you, the EV6 is not far off those newer Audi's I had, notably almost the same as the Audi A4 Avant Black Edition from 2019/2020, I would lean towards the EV6 being better, better in some places and 10% worse in other places. As some of you may know the Audi A4 from 2019/2020 was a piano black plastic heaven in the cabin, the stuff is everywhere, meters of it!

The EV6... well, It's a Kia, not a Mercedes or top of the line Audi/BMW but not far off, as most of us did, we compared EVs.. l did, I test drove the Audi Q4 Etron 35 and lots of other EVs before deciding on the EV6, the Audi Q4 is plastic like inside as well trust me, you think most of the buttons are metal? or they use quality leathers... think again, and its slow to boot, everything is hard plastic and a so called soft touch which its not, so are the BMW alternatives and VWs.. ID3/3. The issue is, EV cars are usually made from green materials unlike the Audi A4 I had, full faux!! leather, full fat chrome and black piano plastics... not bitcoin on Audi here, I am big fan of their cars, just the quality isn't there as it was in 2014-2017.

Even the cheaper Audis, Mercedes and BMWs are worse inside than the EV6 but they are not 拢43k of course (RWD GT Line). The EV6 is long ish, not as long feeling as my past Audi A4 Avant though, it is very wide, it feels wide and powerful, semi high up, I even get comments at the local EV charge stop saying how wide it looks so I am not sure what this guys on about. I think he will be shot down in flames on Reddit :), seems like a fanboy to me. Teslas look like toys in comparison and I am also a fan of Teslas, all EV to be fair, such a great time to be a driver..

Bottom line seems to be Kia hit the sweet spot in terms on value/performance and quality with the EV6 compared to other EVs. Didn't winWhat Car's Car of the Year 2022 for nothing.

Registered
Definitely looked and felt like better plastics than in our BMW i3 and waaay better then a Merc A class I rented recently. Some of that interior was out of an Xmas cracker.

My ICE Volvo is excellent though, and Polestar best EV interior quality in this price range I think.

I was with a mate yesterday and his newish Model 3. Exterior panel fit (frunk for example) was way off. Paint 'orange peel' low on one panel. I would have rejected it.

Registered
Agreed, I rented an A Class before, was fairly low quality but like a go kart!. Volvo/Polestar really have great interiors for the price point also sat in an Audi A8 the other day, self closing doors and tilts up if it detects a car crash on the side, raises the car, cool tech.... all a bit posh inside to be fair, wooden sections trim sections and it looks like a 747 jet inside, would be scared to touch anything incase it broke :). It's a shame Tesla have a great idea but fail on the quality department really badly in some cases. Still think they look like toy cars, weird shape, it was once a glimpse of the future in Teslas eyes, but everyone done their own EV designs and stayed away from the stormtrooper look :)

Registered
Just judging from the hundreds of pictures and videos I've seen, I can't argue with his comments. The interior does appear a bit cheap and plain to me. All that hard plastic, the backs of the front seats look cheesy, I saw a video where the climate/nav control panel was viewed at an angle and lit because the door was open... it looked cheap, just kind of tacked on to the dashboard. But the truth is, the competition is similar. ID.4, Mach-e, even the Q4. I don't think the interiors of any of these are up to traditional $40-60k standards. That seems to be the current reality of reasonably affordable electric cars. You can get a nicer interior in an I-PACE or big e-tron, but then we're not in the $40-60k range anymore. I expect that as EVs become more commonplace, the interiors will again become more competitive. But right now, the money is being spent on electrification.

Registered
Just judging from the hundreds of pictures and videos I've seen, I can't argue with his comments. The interior does appear a bit cheap and plain to me. All that hard plastic, the backs of the front seats look cheesy, I saw a video where the climate/nav control panel was viewed at an angle and lit because the door was open... it looked cheap, just kind of tacked on to the dashboard. But the truth is, the competition is similar. ID.4, Mach-e, even the Q4. I don't think the interiors of any of these are up to traditional $40-60k standards. That seems to be the current reality of reasonably affordable electric cars. You can get a nicer interior in an I-PACE or big e-tron, but then we're not in the $40-60k range anymore. I expect that as EVs become more commonplace, the interiors will again become more competitive. But right now, the money is being spent on electrification.
Maybe judge by sitting in the car?

Registered
As people have said - it does depend on where you are coming from and what you are comparing it against. For me the EV6 hit the sweet spot. The interior is worse than cars costing 20K more - but better than those costing 5-10K more. Realistically you can only judge by sitting in it and sitting in the others. Before buying it we test drove everything we could find over a weekend. Then picked our favourite - which was the EV6 and went back for another drive - it just felt right when we got back in it - so we bought it the next day. TBH before the weekend the KIA was quite low down the list and it surprised us both when we both listed it as our favourite.

Registered
Ok...Ok....all these points are all valid opinions. I have recently driven an Ioniq 5 and felt it was plasticky as well but didn't think it was too big or too wide and but I am coming from a Kia Sportage SX. I felt they were similar in quality and my car was $45kish off the lot. Considering the EV6 or Ioniq 5 are a much higher level of tech the price difference and quality make sense to me. Again that is my opinion.

But I have a question. Why are we all calling it vegan leather?

It's just vinyl!

Registered
It's a funny one when it comes to opinion and previous car .

I actually want people to hate it. Less on the road

Registered
I agree with some of these things, however everyone is entitled to their views in my book. I came from 10 years of Audi cars and one BMW (mid life crisis), let me tell you, the EV6 is not far off those newer Audi's I had, notably almost the same as the Audi A4 Avant Black Edition from 2019/2020, I would lean towards the EV6 being better, better in some places and 10% worse in other places. As some of you may know the Audi A4 from 2019/2020 was a piano black plastic heaven in the cabin, the stuff is everywhere, meters of it!

The EV6... well, It's a Kia, not a Mercedes or top of the line Audi/BMW but not far off, as most of us did, we compared EVs.. l did, I test drove the Audi Q4 Etron 35 and lots of other EVs before deciding on the EV6, the Audi Q4 is plastic like inside as well trust me, you think most of the buttons are metal? or they use quality leathers... think again, and its slow to boot, everything is hard plastic and a so called soft touch which its not, so are the BMW alternatives and VWs.. ID3/3. The issue is, EV cars are usually made from green materials unlike the Audi A4 I had, full faux!! leather, full fat chrome and black piano plastics... not bitcoin on Audi here, I am big fan of their cars, just the quality isn't there as it was in 2014-2017.

Even the cheaper Audis, Mercedes and BMWs are worse inside than the EV6 but they are not 拢43k of course (RWD GT Line). The EV6 is long ish, not as long feeling as my past Audi A4 Avant though, it is very wide, it feels wide and powerful, semi high up, I even get comments at the local EV charge stop saying how wide it looks so I am not sure what this guys on about. I think he will be shot down in flames on Reddit :), seems like a fanboy to me. Teslas look like toys in comparison and I am also a fan of Teslas, all EV to be fair, such a great time to be a driver..

Bottom line seems to be Kia hit the sweet spot in terms on value/performance and quality with the EV6 compared to other EVs. Didn't winWhat Car's Car of the Year 2022 for nothing.
I test drove an audi q4 before ordering an ev6. To me the ev6 seemed to have better quality interior, the plastics in the audi were awful and there seemed less interior space.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts