Kia EV6 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
I put in an order for a Yacht Blue EV6 GT-Line AWD on July 8th at CMA's Colonial Kia (Richmond, VA). After putting in my order, a Wind was finally available at another dealership for me to test drive. I test drove the EV in a hard downpour and was pleasantly surprised at how well it handled in the rain. I can only imagine how well the GT-Line will perform. I think I made the poor sales guy wet himself a bit because he was so nervous (I didn't do any hard driving, but there were cars around that were hard to see). lol. Anyway, initially I was told it would be a 2-4 months wait. Now it's 6-8 months. I get different info from dealerships, so I'm posting my questions here with the hope to get more accurate/honest answers.
  • I still have not received a VIN yet. When would the VIN get assigned to me? During production or after it has been unloaded from the ship at port?
  • I read somewhere on the forum that Kia would start producing 2023 models in July. If that's correct, shouldn't we be seeing 2023 model owners by now? The sales person told me they have not received any news about the 2023 models. So, I'm wondering if she's telling me this because she doesn't want me to cancel the order to wait for the 2023 model?
  • If the 2023 models are being built, does anyone have verified info on improvements made on the new models?
  • The sales person told me that I'm in the "middle of the line" after two months from ordering the EV. How are the orders submitted and processed?
  • Any issues with vandalism? I've heard and seen videos of people keying Teslas for no reason. It makes me wish that the EV6 would have something similar to Sentry Mode for Teslas.

I'm really looking forward to getting my EV6, hopefully soon.

Thanks!!

·
Super Moderator
Ordered July 21 Yacht Blue GT Line S AWD with Heat Pump Arrived 14 May 2022
3,004 Posts
Hello and welcome here are some answers,

• I still have not received a VIN yet. When would the VIN get assigned to me? During production or after it has been unloaded from the ship at port?
Once the factory starts to build the car the Vin will be assigned.
  • I read somewhere on the forum that Kia would start producing 2023 models in July. If that's correct, shouldn't we be seeing 2023 model owners by now? The sales person told me they have not received any news about the 2023 models. So, I'm wondering if she's telling me this because she doesn't want me to cancel the order to wait for the 2023 model?
There is no confirmed 2023 models out as yet.
  • If the 2023 models are being built, does anyone have verified info on improvements made on the new models?
Not known at this time.
  • The sales person told me that I'm in the "middle of the line" after two months from ordering the EV. How are the orders submitted and processed?
First come first served.
  • Any issues with vandalism? I've heard and seen videos of people keying Teslas for no reason. It makes me wish that the EV6 would have something similar to Sentry Mode for Teslas.
Not reported, your always get people who are jealous and have issues who do this thing but nothing bad has been report on here.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2022 Kia EV6 GT-Line AWD Yacht Blue
215 Posts
I'd be very surprised if your dealership actually placed a factory order for you. Most of the time in the US you are just getting on a waitlist with the dealership for one of their allotments and letting them know what trim/color you want.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I'd be very surprised if your dealership actually placed a factory order for you.
Uas dealerships place an allocation request. The factory isn't building Jon Doe's EV6, they build runs of models and colors. As one rolls off the line...or onto a cargo ship....that isn't already allocated...AND matches your desired configuration...it can be assigned to you.

Many US "orders" are allocated at sea...while enroute to the US.

·
Registered
342 Posts
You got to be working with a really good dealership that can get " THE LIST" .. the list is the info KIA sends to the dealers and what boat it is on. Dealer scans list and attempts to allocate a GTL AWD Blue car to his dealership. If you get that much of what you ordered you are going great. If all white cars on there, some dealers will take the white car and offer it as, here is your car, do you want it? Nope, well they know the next guy will take it.

The dealership begged me to not give them poor service ratings on the survey. They said if I was not 100%, please not even do the survey. I did not do the survey. I am not lying about my buying experience to make them look good on paper. That survey puts a dealer on some allocation rating with KIA cooperate and if too many complaints come in, they dont get the same level of cars as those that get a better rating have.

·
Registered
2022 Kia EV6 Wind RWD Yacht Blue
215 Posts
I think the EV6 isn't as high profile as the Tesla. There's a moderate amount of hate for EV cars, mainly due to misinformation by the oil & gas industry, but some of it has become vitriolic with ultra-conservatives lumping all EV owners as liberals who believe the climate change "lies" and want to see the death of oil & gas industry. I still see videos on youtube with so much misinformation about EVs, and the comment section is really crazy. This tends to be bolstered by some kind of online community that thinks that Tesla drivers think they own the road. Its really weird, but I see reddit posts on r/idiotsincars saying things like "another tesla driver blah blah."

It's really a strange phenomena, but I think most of it is directed at Teslas, so we're largely insulated.

I think more of a concern is the perception that EV drivers are rich. There was an EV owner that was murdered in California while he was charging at an EA station. The guy saw him sitting on the curb waiting while his car charged and said, "he has an EV, he must have money."
I think caution should be used while charging at a public charger, especially late at night. Don't hang out outside your car and make yourself an easy target. Stay in the car, or go inside the Walmart, or whatever store is nearby. This really isn't just an EV thing, though. If you're filling your tank up at the gas station late at night, you should stay alert and be cautious of your surroundings.

The only other real concern is the "Kia Boys" thing, as they might mistakenly think the EV6 is susceptible to the same USB hack and cause some damage trying to get it to work, even though it wont.

·
Registered
2022 EV6 GT-L RWD, 1973 Triumph TR6
464 Posts
I think the EV6 isn't as high profile as the Tesla….but I think most of it is directed at Teslas…
I think you are partially right, they are higher profile. I also think it’s directed at Musk and his over the top presence. And “everyone” knows Teslas are $$$$$, but so is Mercedes, Audi, Lucid, Rivian, et al.

·
Registered
2022 Kia EV6 Wind RWD Yacht Blue
215 Posts
I think you are partially right, they are higher profile. I also think it’s directed at Musk and his over the top presence. And “everyone” knows Teslas are $$$$$, but so is Mercedes, Audi, Lucid, Rivian, et al.
I did forget about the Musk-factor lol.... You should see some of the comments I saw posted on reddit, just today. This is on a thread about the stock price of Polestar:
Font Terrestrial plant Slope Science Screenshot
Font Terrestrial plant Event Photo caption

Font Sky Darkness Circle Brand

The oil & gas industry started this misinformation campaign, and people are eating it up and spitting it out, nearly word for word.

·
Registered
2022 EV6 GT-L RWD, 1973 Triumph TR6
464 Posts
I did forget about the Musk-factor lol.... You should see some of the comments I saw posted on reddit, just today. This is on a thread about the stock price of Polestar:
View attachment 9200 View attachment 9201

View attachment 9202

The oil & gas industry started this misinformation campaign, and people are eating it up and spitting it out, nearly word for word.
They mention Volvo and Polestar in that thread. See my thoughts on Volvo products here. In case it’s not known, Polestar is made by Volvo.

Somehow that discussion morphed from HUDs to sunroofs 🤷🏻‍♂️

Volvo was owned by Ford when I had my problems, and is now owned by a Chinese conglomerate, but is said to be going independent again.

Those of you that have read about my meeting 2 EA engineers and a power company distribution engineer may remember one drive a Polestar. He didn’t have anything good to say about it. He showed the most interest in the EV6 too. LOL

Well, maybe I didn’t mention he drove a Polestar. Now you know. Must be experiencing a senior moment. 🤪

·
Registered
117 Posts
In other sources I’ve seen for the Hyundai and Genesis EGMP cars that the 2023 models will actually receive battery preconditioning for better DC fast charging in temperatures below say 40-50 F (5-10 C). I’m not sure why no one brought that up in regards to your question about 2023 improvements. Is that verified? I guess not but that might be a reason to snoop around for a 2023 since you’re already missing out on the tax break and you’re not really in a big rush to buy something in stock.

·
Registered
35 Posts
The vitriol was once reserved for "Prius" owners and other hybrids. Yuppies, rich and tree huggers were the only ones who owned them.....so they said. Now the Ice-Holes have moved on to the plugin EV owners.

·
Registered
117 Posts
The vitriol was once reserved for "Prius" owners and other hybrids. Yuppies, rich and tree huggers were the only ones who owned them.....so they said. Now the Ice-Holes have moved on to the plugin EV owners.
By not being specific about what comment you’re referring to as vitriol you essentially might be talking about any and everyone in this thread.

Sometimes it’s best to write something and save it as a draft. This might possibly have been one of those cases.

I hope you have a great Saturday and if you’re driving later please stay safe. It’s the most dangerous thing most of us do on a regular basis.

·
Registered
35 Posts
By not being specific about what comment you’re referring to as vitriol you essentially might be talking about any and everyone in this thread.

Sometimes it’s best to write something and save it as a draft. This might possibly have been one of those cases.

I hope you have a great Saturday and if you’re driving later please stay safe. It’s the most dangerous thing most of us do on a regular basis.
My comments were simply about the general overall disdain, misinformation and vitriol directed towards EV Owners on Social Media. No one here specifically.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts