Kia EV6 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
EV6 GT Line AWD in Yacht Blue, UK '22' plate
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if the suede used on the seats is genuine leather suede, or just "suede" material?

It's been very frustrating looking for a new car and finding that if you want the features of a higher-spec car, it is almost always dependent on having leather seats. I've been looking at the IONIQ 5, and the mid-range Premium trim I'd want still has cloth seats. But the mid-range EV6 GT Line (the model I'd go for) has the suede.

It seems odd that the bolsters, door panels and even steering wheel are labelled as Vegan Leather, but there's no detail on the suede bits.

(I would contact the dealer to ask, but past experience leads me to think that the people on here are probably better informed!)

·
Registered
203 Posts
Does anyone know if the suede used on the seats is genuine leather suede, or just "suede" material?

It's been very frustrating looking for a new car and finding that if you want the features of a higher-spec car, it is almost always dependent on having leather seats. I've been looking at the IONIQ 5, and the mid-range Premium trim I'd want still has cloth seats. But the mid-range EV6 GT Line (the model I'd go for) has the suede.

It seems odd that the bolsters, door panels and even steering wheel are labelled as Vegan Leather, but there's no detail on the suede bits.

(I would contact the dealer to ask, but past experience leads me to think that the people on here are probably better informed!)
The 'suede' material is made from recycled plastic bottles.........so they are polyester. They felt fine to me. I'm not a lover of leather seats either.

·
Registered
EV6 GT Line AWD in Yacht Blue, UK '22' plate
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Andy - exactly what I was hoping to hear! I think the EV6 may have just moved ahead of the IONIQ 5 on my list :)

It's good to see more car makers moving towards animal-free interiors (I know Tesla have been for a while)...

·
Registered
130 Posts
Thanks Andy - exactly what I was hoping to hear! I think the EV6 may have just moved ahead of the IONIQ 5 on my list :)

It's good to see more car makers moving towards animal-free interiors (I know Tesla have been for a while)...
The EV6 has a fully vegan interior and is one of the only cars to receive the Carbon Measured label from the Carbon Trust. If sustainability and cruelty free is high on your priority list then you literally cannot do better than the EV6 right now.

·
Super Moderator
Ordered July 21 Yacht Blue GT Line S AWD with Heat Pump Arrived 14 May 2022
1,799 Posts
seats are comfortable, fabric is made from 111 recycled plastic bottles per seat. You wouldn’t know unless you were told.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The VEGAN leather is fake or commonly know as PU leather. It is not leather at all it is polyurethane a man made chemicals substitute
KIA needs to be transparent this is a cheaper product so they can save on interior, it is not very sustainable since plastic cannot be recycled very well.
Go google Vegan Leather or Common name PU Leather it is not leather, period!

·
Registered
130 Posts
The VEGAN leather is fake or commonly know as PU leather. It is not leather at all it is polyurethane a man made chemicals substitute
KIA needs to be transparent this is a cheaper product so they can save on interior, it is not very sustainable since plastic cannot be recycled very well.
Nobody was under the impression it was anywhere close to real leather. That's a you problem.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Kia has been transparent about this… It already uses recycled material so whether it can be recycled again or not is less of an issue.

·
Registered
2022 EV6 GT-L RWD, 1973 Triumph TR6
228 Posts
Also, I’m not sure Kia uses it to “save on interior.” Maybe they do care about taking over 100 plastic bottles per seat out of the rivers, lakes, and oceans.

I don’t feel like it’s any cheaper looking or feeling than any other vehicle I’ve owned, including the 2001 Lexus LS 430 I owned for 17 years and 437,000 miles. Yeah, I drove a lot then. LOL

I find the interior nice, comfortable, and supportive.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Also, I’m not sure Kia uses it to “save on interior.” Maybe they do care about taking over 100 plastic bottles per seat out of the rivers, lakes, and oceans.

I don’t feel like it’s any cheaper looking or feeling than any other vehicle I’ve owned, including the 2001 Lexus LS 430 I owned for 17 years and 437,000 miles. Yeah, I drove a lot then. LOL

I find the interior nice, comfortable, and supportive.
The price of Vinyl can vary a lot, just like it can vary a lot with Leather, but for some reason people assume Vinyl = Cheap and Leather = Expensive. You can get some absurdly expensive Vinyl. Hell, Alcantara that everyone always bleats on about is Vinyl (faux suede), and you get that in high-end super-cars.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts