Kia EV6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I’m currently shopping for a GT-Line AWD EV6. I like the suede seats, but just thought I’d ask other owners what they thought. I know most have only had their EV6s for a short time, but those own one what are your thoughts? Any reason you picked leather vs suede, other than availability? Do they seem to have held up so far? How is the care/cleaning on these?

·
Registered
642 Posts
I can't yet comment on the Kia version, but their suede option appears to be a generic version of Alcantara. I've seen some reviewers refer to it as Alcantara, so it must at least appear/feel the same. My current 10 year old A4 has Alcantara seats, and I love it. The (leather) side bolsters are starting to show some age, but the Alcantara on the main seating surfaces has held up fantastically. Holds you in place, not hot/sticky in the summer, and warmer in the winter. I'm hoping the Kia version is as good.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Done just over 10k miles now in our Air Version (UK) With the Vegan Leather Seats. So far they are really comfy and as good as the Real Leather option we had in our Hyundai Kona.

The Kona seats looked as good as new after 77k miles and 18 Months use, so will be interesting to see if the artificial versions hold up as well in the EV6,

Personally I prefer the look and feel of them to Suede ones in the higher spec cars. Especially for a work car thats abused and eaten in day in day out..

Car Motor vehicle Product Steering part Vehicle

·
Registered
609 Posts
Done just over 10k miles now in our Air Version (UK) With the Vegan Leather Seats. So far they are really comfy and as good as the Real Leather option we had in our Hyundai Kona.

The Kona seats looked as good as new after 77k miles and 18 Months use, so will be interesting to see if the artificial versions hold up as well in the EV6,

Personally I prefer the look and feel of them to Suede ones in the higher spec cars. Especially for a work car thats abused and eaten in day in day out..

View attachment 2931
Apologies in advance to @benboy12 for taking his thread on a little tangent. @GoneAwayNow, I just noticed the pattern of your center console lid (right behind the cell phone wireless charging pad) which looks like the same pattern used on the EV6 First Editions in the US. Is that same pattern also used on the dashboard crashpad?

·
Registered
GT-Line.
492 Posts
Hi All,

I’m currently shopping for a GT-Line AWD EV6. I like the suede seats, but just thought I’d ask other owners what they thought. I know most have only had their EV6s for a short time, but those own one what are your thoughts? Any reason you picked leather vs suede, other than availability? Do they seem to have held up so far? How is the care/cleaning on these?
To be honest, I find the suede seat not only more comfortable to the touch compared to the leather version but also the seat itself feels so much more comfortable around the countors of your back. The leather seats and those found in the IONIQ 5 are good for those without a sensitive back.

·
Registered
609 Posts
To be honest, I find the suede seat not only more comfortable to the touch compared to the leather version but also the seat itself feels so much more comfortable around the countors of your back. The leather seats and those found in the IONIQ 5 are good for those without a sensitive back.
The only question I have about the suede is durability and how easy will they be to clean. I'm worried my 6 year old son will ruin them. :LOL:

·
Registered
88 Posts
Apologies in advance to @benboy12 for taking his thread on a little tangent. @GoneAwayNow, I just noticed the pattern of your center console lid (right behind the cell phone wireless charging pad) which looks like the same pattern used on the EV6 First Editions in the US. Is that same pattern also used on the dashboard crashpad?
The Air is the Base Model in the UK, it comes RWD with 77Kwh Battery, (We dont have the smaller battery in the UK)
It retails at £41000 UK On The Road = ($55700 US), That includes all taxes and fees including the 20% VAT (All Sales Taxes Registration Fees Transportation Fees etc included) in the UK (No Markups in the UK).

It has this checker pattern dashboard

Vehicle Automotive mirror Gadget Automotive design Personal luxury car

Car Speedometer Vehicle Trip computer Motor vehicle

And we get the Ambient Lighting even on the base model in the UK

Automotive design Netbook Gadget Font Space

Attachments

·
Registered
609 Posts
The Air is the Base Model in the UK, it comes RWD with 77Kwh Battery, (We dont have the smaller battery in the UK)
It retails at £41000 UK On The Road = ($55700 US), That includes all taxes and fees including the 20% VAT (All Sales Taxes Registration Fees Transportation Fees etc included) in the UK (No Markups in the UK).

It has this checker pattern dashboard

View attachment 2949

View attachment 2950

And we get the Ambient Lighting even on the base model in the UK

View attachment 2951
Thanks @GoneAwayNow . That crashpad and center console lid pattern is the same one used on the First Edition here in the US which is based on the GT-Line here with exterior styling from the Wind trim. I like that pattern more than the one with the diagonal lines that's on the GT-Line that I'm planning on getting. It's interesting that the Air base model in the UK comes pretty loaded with features and includes featues that are only available in higher trims in the US like the ambient lighting but your pricing is much higher due to VAT. At least you don't have to deal with markups. The US base model is called the Light but I haven't seen one available yet. We've only been getting First Editions, Wind and GT-Line models.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Thanks @GoneAwayNow . That crashpad and center console lid pattern is the same one used on the First Edition here in the US which is based on the GT-Line here with exterior styling from the Wind trim. I like that pattern more than the one with the diagonal lines that's on the GT-Line that I'm planning on getting. It's interesting that the Air base model in the UK comes pretty loaded with features and includes featues that are only available in higher trims in the US like the ambient lighting but your pricing is much higher due to VAT. At least you don't have to deal with markups. The US base model is called the Light but I haven't seen one available yet. We've only been getting First Editions, Wind and GT-Line models.
Yeah its not a bad spec here, and as for price, well all cars are a killer due to the 20% Sales Tax!

The Air misses out on the Head Up Display and Front Sensors etc, and we get stuck with Manual Seats, they even rip out the Wireless Phone charger!!!. But on the whole I am happy with what it provides for the Money. Its about £5000 more than the Fully loaded Kona we had before, and that had the Elec Seats HUD and Full Frontal Sensors etc, but prefer the faster charging of the EV6 over all that

Not sure how well the light will sell with the smaller 58Kw battery in the US... For the extra the Wind with the 77kw seems the best low cost option there.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Not sure how well the light will sell with the smaller 58Kw battery in the US... For the extra the Wind with the 77kw seems the best low cost option there.
Agreed about the Wind in the US being the best value. If I didn't prefer the GT-Line exterior styling so much more than the Wind then I'd be getting a Wind AWD with tech package. I would love to know how car companies decide what features to include in each trim in each country. It appears very random but I'm sure it's not.

·
Registered
8 Posts
The only question I have about the suede is durability and how easy will they be to clean. I'm worried my 6 year old son will ruin them. :LOL:
Yes We had suede sears in our 2006 Honda Civic Si and 2016 Juke RS. I dob’t think they were made from vegan material. They looked and felt great but over time the pile/ finish got shiny/ flattened. I ordered our EV 6 Gt Line in Snow Pearl RWD on Kia’s Build your EV6 has the option for vegan leather BUT was told Suede is my only option. So “if” that is the case I hope it wears well 😔 I think these vegan products are still new/ “jury is out on durability” Maybe I will try a brush to keep the finish fresh?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Suede feel nicer but I preferred the vegan leather, it's easier to clean and doesn't wear like suede does. With my old Lexus suede seats it looks terrible when aged, I have to swap out the seat cover. So if you keep your car for a long time and have to. Lean the seat often I wouldn't suggest picking the suede seat option.

·
Registered
GT-Line 2 (initial 200)
716 Posts
I'm a little torn on the "vegan suede" - realistically, it's just a synthetic cloth (like fleece) made to resemble suede, and that's what it looks like to me - a very very premium cloth seat that looks good. This is good and less-good
  • People who don't know they're supposed to be impressed by the "vegan suede" have said to me, "wow, it didn't come with leather?"
  • My wife loves leather but likes the seats. I suspect she'd still prefer leather
  • In the cold the seats have been VERY nice; they are temperature neutral on entry and heat up fast with the seat heaters
  • I suspect they'll be similarly neutral in summer, instead of that hot leather on entry on a summer day. The ventilation also is very effective (I hit that button by mistake every now and then)
  • They hold you in place well through corners, far better than the slipperiness of leather
  • In previous cars, the leather seats have been what show the cars' age the most. The vegan suede feels like it'll maintain its appearance longer
I think I'll be happier with the suede (vs leather) in the long run; Alcantara has a great reputation, and I really don't see how this would be any different. Our kids are only allowed water, so as long as I don't dump a coffee on myself it should be ok to keep clean. Mud and dirt seems like it'd come off/out very easily, and darker colours are easier to maintain. Not sure I'd want white suede though.

·
Registered
642 Posts
We had suede sears in our 2006 Honda Civic Si and 2016 Juke RS. I dob’t think they were made from vegan material. They looked and felt great but over time the pile/ finish got shiny/ flattened.
With my old Lexus suede seats it looks terrible when aged
I wish manufacturers would use correct names. Suede wears terribly, but suede-like synthetic materials like Alcantara hold up very well. I'm assuming the Kia "suede" option is like Alcantara, but with car manufacturers calling it suede, it's hard to know what to expect from it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts