Kia EV6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone here experience the sunroof stuck open? Picked up car yesterday, and had sunroof open today, and now it won't close. Checked the 25Amp fuse, and it was good, but there isn't even a motor sound when moving the switch. Also checked window locks if that even affects it...

Any way of manually closing it?

Of course it is a long weekend here in Canada.. always happens on a long weekend right?

TIA

·
Registered
184 Posts
Anyone here experience the sunroof stuck open? Picked up car yesterday, and had sunroof open today, and now it won't close. Checked the 25Amp fuse, and it was good, but there isn't even a motor sound when moving the switch. Also checked window locks if that even affects it...

Of course it is a long weekend here in Canada.. always happens on a long weekend right?

TIA
That would be a "panic" situation for me.....hopefully you can put it under cover (garage or something) until fixed! Sorry you got hit with that......

·
Registered
265 Posts
Turn the "ignition" on, try shutting it, then turn it off and try shutting it? Maybe turn on the "accessory" state by turning on the "ignition" without pressing on the brake? Do the windows roll up and down ok? Maybe use a tarp if you can't close it for now?

Oh and if it turns out to be something silly like the "ignition" not being on and the sunroof not responding, feel free to fess up, we promise not to give you TOO MUCH ribbing. 😈 But, if that is what happened, it can be just as helpful to some people as "the dealership said the motor was replaced".

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Turn the "ignition" on, try shutting it, then turn it off and try shutting it? Maybe turn on the "accessory" state by turning on the "ignition" without pressing on the brake? Do the windows roll up and down ok? Maybe use a tarp if you can't close it for now?

Oh and if it turns out to be something silly like the "ignition" not being on and the sunroof not responding, feel free to fess up, we promise not to give you TOO MUCH ribbing. 😈 But, if that is what happened, it can be just as helpful to some people as "the dealership said the motor was replaced".
Windows roll up and down nicely, and toggled the window lock just to see.. It's kept in a garage, so I'm not TOO worried, and it's going to be sunny and hot the next few days so it's not critical..

I've tried closing it while I was pulling onto my street. So while driviving, nothing, then in accessory mode, out of accessory mode... in a box, with a fox... :p

Did the lastest Canadian software update which the dealer didn't do. Still nothing.. will update on Tuesday or whenever they figure out what it was..

·
Registered
71 Posts

TIA
I've had sunroof stuck open on a different car, but there was a motor laboring sound and it would move a little just not go all the way. In that case it was due to debris in the track. Still worth a check but sounds like your issue is different.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Windows roll up and down nicely, and toggled the window lock just to see.. It's kept in a garage, so I'm not TOO worried, and it's going to be sunny and hot the next few days so it's not critical..

I've tried closing it while I was pulling onto my street. So while driviving, nothing, then in accessory mode, out of accessory mode... in a box, with a fox... :p

Did the lastest Canadian software update which the dealer didn't do. Still nothing.. will update on Tuesday or whenever they figure out what it was..
When you managed to open it, did it make a sound? Are you sure the fuse you checked is the one for the sunroof? I actually think having this issue would drive me nuts as I like the idea of the new car smell lingering for as long as possible. 💔 Good luck with the fix.

·
Super Moderator
Ordered July 21 Yacht Blue GT Line S AWD with Heat Pump Arrived 14 May 2022
2,373 Posts
The only issue I see with the Sunroof Reset is it states the sunroof must be closed number 2, what happens like the OP has the sunroof stuck open, the reset would not work.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I saw that in the manual as well.. and of course, first requirement.. Sunroof closed... unfortunately, stuck open...

So, I drove around a bit last night trying to close it while car was in motion, and when it was stopped.. nothing...

Went out this morning, tried to close it and it worked! :eek: Car was at 82% charge, and I didn't have the L2 charger hooked up overnight...

Needless to say I'm not touching it again until I go to the dealership tomorrow. And rules of the universe clearly state I won't be able to replicate the problem..

·
Super Moderator
2,373 Posts
I saw that in the manual as well.. and of course, first requirement.. Sunroof closed... unfortunately, stuck open...

So, I drove around a bit last night trying to close it while car was in motion, and when it was stopped.. nothing...

Went out this morning, tried to close it and it worked! :eek: Car was at 82% charge, and I didn't have the L2 charger hooked up overnight...

Needless to say I'm not touching it again until I go to the dealership tomorrow. And rules of the universe clearly state I won't be able to replicate the problem..
Great news you closed it and fingers crossed they find the issue.

·
Registered
260 Posts
With any luck there will be a trouble code stored for the dealer. If it happens again, sometimes the operating system needs a "reboot" to find a good starting point. Disconnect the 12 volt battery for ten minutes. Your car is like your phone or desktop - just a big computer.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
And the possible culprit:

Dongar Dash Cam Power adapter. This siphons power from the autodimming mirror, so it is a "harness" that plugs in where the mirror normally plugs in, and then the mirror plugs into the harness... apparently this was causing issues on one of the communication buses... I've sent a "feedback" to Dongar, will see what they say as well.

Technicians said that they were getting a communication error and this was the only extra thing plugged in. Sunroof is now still stuck open they couldn't even get it closed. They said something about draining a capacitor, still nothing... It should reset after a period of time as per what happened last time...

So for now, I've unhooked the adapter, and will give it time to reset everything, then I'll try cycling the roof and see if it open/closes properly.. If it does, and continues to operate properly that was the problem.

Will update.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Sounds like they were trying a "deep reboot". Issues like this can be elusive but they seem to be competent.

The Donger itself shouldn't cause the problem. It is just providing a voltage tap for the dash cam. The dash cam itself could definitely be interfering with communication signals. Check with the dash cam manufacturer as well.

You might look for a OBDII power adapter for your brand of dash cam. The voltage at that port is "generic" so it's not supplying any particular function. It will also give you the option of parking mode for the dash cam.

·
Super Moderator
2,373 Posts
And the possible culprit:

Dongar Dash Cam Power adapter. This siphons power from the autodimming mirror, so it is a "harness" that plugs in where the mirror normally plugs in, and then the mirror plugs into the harness... apparently this was causing issues on one of the communication buses... I've sent a "feedback" to Dongar, will see what they say as well.

Technicians said that they were getting a communication error and this was the only extra thing plugged in. Sunroof is now still stuck open they couldn't even get it closed. They said something about draining a capacitor, still nothing... It should reset after a period of time as per what happened last time...

So for now, I've unhooked the adapter, and will give it time to reset everything, then I'll try cycling the roof and see if it open/closes properly.. If it does, and continues to operate properly that was the problem.

Will update.
Great that you may have found the issue but normally a capacitor of the size your be talking about should be fully recharged when you start the car, it should be around 99% charged after 5 time periods, it will charge to 63% after the first time period. if its not charged quickly you may have a supply issue.

Example:
A capacitor charges to 63% of the supply voltage that is charging it after one time period. After 5 time periods, a capacitor charges up to over 99% of its supply voltage. Therefore, it is safe to say that the time it takes for a capacitor to charge up to the supply voltage is 5 time constants.
To calculate the time constant of a capacitor, the formula is τ=RC. This value yields the time (in seconds) that it takes a capacitor to charge to 63% of the voltage that is charging it up. After 5 time constants, the capacitor will charged to over 99% of the voltage that is supplying.
Therefore, the formula to calculate how long it takes a capacitor to charge to is:

Time for a Capacitor to Charge= 5RC
After 5 time constants, for all extensive purposes, the capacitor will be charged up to very close to the supply voltage. A capacitor never charges fully to the maximum voltage of its supply voltage, but it gets very close.

Example
Below we have a circuit of a 9-volt battery charging a 1000µF capacitor through a 3KΩ resistor:

Charging a Capacitor

One time constant, τ=RC=(3KΩ)(1000µF)=3 seconds. 5x3=15 seconds. So it takes the capacitor about 15 seconds to charge up to near 9 volts.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sunroof did reset last night. Opened it at 3.30 and it got stuck. Let it sit until 7.30 tried it, nothing, drove for an hour, tried it, nothing. Let it sit until around 11pm it closed.

So after 7 hours it reset itself and allowed it to close.

Looking at to the harness it only used 2 wires for power and it went to a generic usb port. So it was only power and no communications. Only thing I did notice was that there were 2 pins not hooked up, so I wonder if that might cause an issue. No pinouts so I don't know what those 2 pins are used for.

I'll try opening and closing again today to see what happens.

·
Super Moderator
2,373 Posts
Sunroof did reset last night. Opened it at 3.30 and it got stuck. Let it sit until 7.30 tried it, nothing, drove for an hour, tried it, nothing. Let it sit until around 11pm it closed.

So after 7 hours it reset itself and allowed it to close.

Looking at to the harness it only used 2 wires for power and it went to a generic usb port. So it was only power and no communications. Only thing I did notice was that there were 2 pins not hooked up, so I wonder if that might cause an issue. No pinouts so I don't know what those 2 pins are used for.

I'll try opening and closing again today to see what happens.
Will be interesting to hear if it does not work without issues.

·
Registered
621 Posts
FWIW--I am using the Dongar adapter in my vehicle as well; I attempted to replicate the issue--in my case the sunroof did not remain open or otherwise got stuck. I turned on the vehicle, waited for my dashcam to boot all the way up, opened the sunroof to full open position, waited a few moments, then flicked the switch to close it--sunroof closed w/o issue. Did this a few times, including opening sunroof to tilt position--no issues with sunroot not closing or otherwise getting stuck.

OP--does it occur even if your vehicle remains in Park (i.e., you open the sunroof while your vehicle is in motion)? Full disclosure--I did not try it while driving but figured if the Dongar was supposedly the issue then it shouldn't matter whether the vehicle is in motion when I attempt to open the sunroof.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Saga continues... Removed the Dongar (kudos to them for support)... it's been out for a few days while it's been raining here, and tried it yesterday.. opened... and stuck...

Back to dealership today, and they couldn't figure it out. They tested the switch, that seemed good, but still couldn't get it to budge. One thing that surprised me is that they don't have a way to manually close it that they know of... Sorento's and other models have an alan key slot on the motor to manually close.. apparently the EV6 doesn't. We'll have that battle on Monday.

So for now, Dongar dongle seems to be clear. From the docs Dongar support sent me, I can't see any way it would affect the sunroof, and went over it with the head tech of the local dealer...he couldn't see anything (and couldn't admit it). There is nothing on the mirror connector that connects to the CAN bus, so it shouldn't affect any communications... But they do seem a little fixated on the harness...

So they are opening a support ticket with Kia Canada and we'll see where it goes...

@tonester - tiried it in park,driving, on, off... dealer can't even close it! o_O

1 - 20 of 20 Posts