Kia EV6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Is there a way to deactivate SCC and use normal cruise control instead?

I’ve found that a bit of snow on the front radar can deactivate the SCC and several security systems. Doesn’t need much at all. In a situation like that it would be nice to be able to switch to normal cruise control.

I am thinking that I probably can’t. I haven’t found it in the drivers manual, and this way doesn’t work in the EV6:

· Registered
2022 Kia EV6 First Edition Steel Gray Matte
831 Posts
I don't believe that you can in the new operating system. I have tried every possibly combination and can't find it.

The radar takes about a quarter inch of snow or ice to block the signal reception.

· Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I don't believe that you can in the new operating system. I have tried every possibly combination and can't find it.

The radar takes about a quarter inch of snow or ice to block the signal reception.

Thank you for checking.

It’s very strange that they have actually removed the option to only use normal CC. Especially when so little ice/snow on the radar can deactivate SCC and multible security systems.

If you have a clean/dry car but there’s wet snow on the road it can take as little as 5 minuttes to block the radar. I have experienced that myself several times already.

If you use cruise control all the time like me it can be quite a loss not being able to use it on a long journey.

· Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Look at page 6-106 in Owners Manual under Turn Off Smart Cruise Control.
I know how to deactivate SCC and I know the manual - but there’s apparently no way to have normal cruise control instead. Normal CC doesn’t activate when you deactivate SCC. You can activate a limiter, but that isn’t CC. When I say normal CC I mean a system that keeps the speed and doesn’t use the radar - so no distance keeping.

· Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Guess we need radar sensor washers, like some cars have headlight washers.
That would be great lol 😄. But for now a good old low tech CC would be enough for me.

I suggested using Rain-X on the radar in another thread, but people were pretty certain that it would help so I didn’t bother buying a bottle and trying it.

· Registered
259 Posts
Because it likes to slow down way to quickly, even if you have it to follow the closest, it still is too far away and then somebody cuts you off and then the car slams on the brakes... it's great if you are on a two lane country road, I use it then, but on a multi lane expressway, it's way to uninstinctive for me, to put it in my best term possible.

· Registered
342 Posts
Because it likes to slow down way to quickly, even if you have it to follow the closest, it still is too far away and then somebody cuts you off and then the car slams on the brakes... it's great if you are on a two lane country road, I use it then, but on a multi lane expressway, it's way to uninstinctive for me, to put it in my best term possible.
I agree, it's a bit aggressive and frustrating under those conditions. CC and SCC are best used on low or moderate traffic conditions. Under the situation where someone cuts you off, you would still be stepping on the brake to disengage CC. Growing up in the DC area, I'm very good at anticipating other drivers moves and often close the gap to the car I'm following with SCC engaged. SCC momentarily disengages while I'm controlling the throttle and re-engages when I lift off. Nicely done Kia!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts