Kia EV6 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this is the first time I have really noticed this happening.. I have light on the ground at the back of my car now!!. weird. don't really show much here in my photo but at a dark EV charger location, they worked really well....

The number plate lights are also the tailgate lights that shine down in the ground right, they do for me anyway... kind of ?.

I remember seeing them for sale and wondered where do they get installed... I have them already! Doh!!

Does anyone know how to keep them on? They shine for like 30 seconds and go off. Maybe they are not the same thing?.
Land vehicle Car Wheel Tire Atmosphere

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just been out playing with it, thank you!! Worked for more than 20-30 seconds, not sure for how long though as it’s pis**** down!. Good for anyone else wondering how to make use of these lights while the tailgate is open. I am sure other folks are not as thick as me :). I’ll test more later when it stops raining

·
Registered
102 Posts
Have you moved @Logicpro8? The site has your country of registration (the flag beneath your Avatar) as Germany! I know you are from "The Kingdom", but not of Deutschland!!!

Reactions: Logicpro8

·
Registered
Powered by diesel (for now).
177 Posts
Some cars, even in Auto for the lights.
When you turn the ignition off, if you pull the light stalk to flash, the lights stay on for 30 seconds, so you would not need to turn the dial to Parking Light Position.

Might be worth a Try.

·
Registered
166 Posts
This could be a software based feature. The car know when it's dark (lights turns on) and also when you open the boot.

So why not just have a setting "Turn on and keep tailgate lights on when boot open in the dark" regardless how you have your driving lights set?

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK so tested again today, seem I have no parking selection on the light stalk (left side for UK cars) boot lights didn't come on with headlights in auto, so this might be a dark sensor thing, but there seems to be no way to keep them on for any length of time, more than 30-60 seconds anyway, would be great thing to have and figure out, how to keep these lights on for longer, they are basically spot lights because they are soo bright.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Have you moved @Logicpro8? The site has your country of registration (the flag beneath your Avatar) as Germany! I know you are from "The Kingdom", but not of Deutschland!!!
lol not moved to Germany! I suppose the site must have picked up my locations from being on my work VPN, Germany location anyway. Its changed back now weirdly :)

·
Registered
Ordered EV6 GT line S AWD with Heat Pump in Runway Red beginning December 2021
64 Posts

·
Registered
GT-Line 2 (initial 200)
716 Posts
Reviving this old thread. If you want a really easy, cheap, DIY solution that gives you better trunk/boot lighting and a puddle light when the cargo hatch is open, here's what I came up with:

I just bought this rechargeable motion-activated LED light from Amazon and "installed" it using 3M picture-hanging command strips (they're like velcro). In these photos the garage lights are off but my headlights are lit from unlocking the car. The light is WAY brighter in the trunk/boot area, and casts healthy behind the bumper too.

Note: Amazon Canada. But gives you an idea of what I'm talking about, I'm sure you can find comparable in your region.

Rectangle Parallel Font Audio equipment Musical instrument accessory
Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Vehicle door
Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Tire Vehicle

·
Registered
102 Posts
Hi @robby-d , great idea and looks like a pretty good product, you could even recharge from the rear USB ports (if USB 'C'). Could you attach some more photos of the location on the tailgate where you stuck them, please? You seem to have hit a sweet spot! (y):love:

·
Registered
GT-Line 2 (initial 200)
716 Posts
Hi @robby-d , great idea and looks like a pretty good product, you could even recharge from the rear USB ports (if USB 'C'). Could you attach some more photos of the location on the tailgate where you stuck them, please? You seem to have hit a sweet spot! (y):love:
Yeah, best in-car recharge option is from the 12V cargo socket with a 12V to USB-A adapter. I'm only using 2 of the 3 though (other one went in the linen closet) and with the 3M command strip picture holders they're like velcro so instead I'm just keeping one as a fully-charged spare and when one of the other 2 need charging I'll just do a swap.

I had black and white strips already, so I went with a full-size black strip in the car (for extra grip - the car surface is textured) and I cut strips in half to put on the light itself. Here's some positioning photos, but honestly, the light cast is pretty wide so there's lots of room for error :)

Automotive design Automotive tire Automotive lighting Automotive exterior Gadget
Gadget Rectangle Bumper Automotive design Automotive exterior
Temperature Medical thermometer Finger Measuring instrument Rectangle

1 - 14 of 14 Posts