Kia EV6 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering an EV6 (in the UK); I will use a traditional steering wheel lock, but would also like to understand what options are available in terms of immobilisers and trackers.

I have heard a lot about these two systems:
  • The Ghost Immobiliser works by requiring a sequence of button presses on the steering wheel, eg volume up, volume down, next track, previous track
  • The Scorpion EV Tracker can work as a tracker or as both tracker and immobiliser; it requires either a physical tag or some bluetooth thingy on your phone; the monitoring station will call you if they detect the vehicle is moving without the tag or the bluetooth thingy. This requires an annual subscription.
I have contacted Ghost, which also installs Scorpion, and they will get back to me on compatibility.

Here I'd like to ask if anyone has any experience on these system, possibly on other cars, and if there is any risk the warranty might be voided, or of some kind of software update messing up the way these thingies work, or of these things malfunctioning and leaving me stranded.

Obviously I know that anything can be stolen, 100% security doesn't exist etc etc - it's just about reducing the odds.

Thank you!

·
Registered
364 Posts
Great topic! one I was just discussing wit the Mrs. It could go waaaaay into detail, and easy to overthink things

Does Kia connect stand as a tracker?.... I was able to track my Mrs on her 100 miles trip no probs to exact locations, but its not insurance certified my insurance company say and the EV6 already has an immobiliser, but if the key gets stolen or cloned... car is free to move and be taken away silently :) in the night while you sleep. Of course getting a hidden one would be good, like non Kia, installed in the car somewhere hidden.

The issue is nowadays if a criminal is set on stealing your car enough to break in to your house and forcefully take your keys, do you think they’ll have any qualms in threatening you/your family/your dog/cat? until you give the code away?. All of these device are deterrents for sure and a simple sticker on car window showing the car has a tracker or type of immobiliser is sometimes enough, same as steel wheel lock, simple way oh showing criminals that they don't just need to break into your house, they need you to find the keys, they also need to know about how to remove the steering wheel lock and where that key is, more work, more time while you have triggered your home alarm system. Thankfully I live next to a police sergeant, not sure he would do anything though haha :).

The set up I have is like this, house alarm system is set at night to track entry or motion downstairs only, if someone breaks in, house alarm is triggered internally and externally, good luck going through all the hassle of finding car keys, steering wheel lock keys at 3am with kids screaming and crying, it's too much risk. I also keep both sets ok car keys in a Faraday key wallet/case, stops the car communicating with the key. There is also a remote for the alarm like an SOS/Panic type thing, could be triggered by anyone is the house, alarm needs turned off by an app, so yet another thing for them to do when the break in :), plus the alarm re arms itself of no pin was entered and locks the keypads until you use a remote. I know that sounds a lot, but is basic stuff. You will never get your car back if it is taken, of the likelihood is maybe slightly increased for a car with a tracker.... who knows, I think simple deterrents are best, a chain of things that would happen if your house was broken into for the car.

There are other things dead switches, pulling a fuse?, smart fuse/reply that needs an app to enable the fuse in the car, OBD device that needs app/fob enabled as well?. All of this would slow down you driving the car though, gotta unlock the car, take steering wheel lock off, put it away, unlock the OBD port, or reinsert fuse lol. Thinking out loud here as I am interested in something tracker wise to add to this. Apple Air Tag hidden under carpet or inside fuse box taped somewhere? under a trim?. Air Tags use other iPhone worldwide to track their whereabouts bouts right?, not just your phone so no worries if its out of range with the tag.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The folks at Ghost called me back and said their immobiliser doesn't work with the Kia EV6 for now. It might work in the future, that's not clear.
The folks who sell the Scorpion Tracker said something similar but were a bit more drastic, they said it's very unlikely there will be a way for their immobiliser to work with the Kia EV6, but the tracker of course works fine.

·
Registered
52 Posts
"You will never get your car back if it is taken"....If that's true and you have a decent insurance policy, then perfect. Whatever you lose in the insurance trying to beat you down, you probably save in alarms and rigmarolls. Just leave the car keys immediately inside the front door with a massive arrow pointing at them saying "car keys". No hassle, no setting alarms or just apps or panic buttons. No remembering to put you keys in a special pouch all the time. Probably not even have your sleep disturbed.

Just have the insurance company on speed dial :)

·
Registered
364 Posts
"You will never get your car back if it is taken"....If that's true and you have a decent insurance policy, then perfect. Whatever you lose in the insurance trying to beat you down, you probably save in alarms and rigmarolls. Just leave the car keys immediately inside the front door with a massive arrow pointing at them saying "car keys". No hassle, no setting alarms or just apps or panic buttons. No remembering to put you keys in a special pouch all the time. Probably not even have your sleep disturbed.

Just have the insurance company on speed dial :)
Exactly. If they want it, have it. It’s insured, not worth violence and faffing around and alarms etc. But yes we have an apart which is triggered if someone sets if by coming opening external doors/windows, standard stuff., not only for cars sake but for people breaking in full stop, got kids in the house. I keep my keys in my jacket at the door 😀. Save me coming downstairs and just say, the keys are in my jacket buddy. Cheers

1 - 7 of 7 Posts