Kia EV6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good evening,

was wondering if anyone had experience with the $7500 fed tax credit. Is there anything I need to do right away like submit any forms to the IRS? Or do I take care of it when I file my taxes.

Any help would be great. Thanks!

·
Registered
KIA EV6 Wind AWD Glacier White
202 Posts
You will need to owe $7500 to the IRS for the year, best is to discuss with a tax accountant. You might need to change your W-4 form and add the $7500 to Line 4(b) of the form W-4.
This is not tax advice just general information.

·
Premium Member
EV6 Wind AWD
71 Posts
You will need to owe $7500 to the IRS for the year, best is to discuss with a tax accountant. You might need to change your W-4 form and have less tax withdraw. I think there is a field where you can specify the $7500.
Good point, but not really the question. A tax accountant should know for certain, but it is a bit unclear what documentation is required (regardless of the qualifications).

·
Registered
202 Posts
You will need a copy of the purchase paperwork for your records to keep with your tax return for the next 7 years in case IRS decides to audit your taxes. The government keeps track of what manufacturers still qualify for credits and they publish this every quarter. But again, you will need to owe taxes in order to take advantage of the credit.

I think this is the official website Federal Tax Credits for Electric and Plug-in Hybrid Cars

·
Premium Member
EV6 Wind AWD
71 Posts
Also, there is a thread over in the US forum (I didn't know until today that it was there!)

·
Registered
22 EV6, Wind AWD/Tech Gray/Gray
46 Posts
You will need to owe $7500 to the IRS for the year, best is to discuss with a tax accountant. You might need to change your W-4 form and add the $7500 to Line 4(b) of the form W-4.
This is not tax advice just general information.
I'm not an accountant but this is wrong.

The 7500 is a tax credit against what you owe...or your liability. The W-4 doesn't have anything to do with it.

After working for the year, the gov't gives you a bill. That is what you owe. This is based on number of factors...but basically your bill is your bill.

Your W-4 withholding is just a guesstimate to pay-as-you-go...but putting more aside doesn't change what your "bill" was.

I think it's line 24 on your 1040...if it's over 7500 you get the whole 7500.

fyi--you can get multiple rebates if you buy multiple cars...but then you'd need 15000 as a liability

·
Registered
202 Posts

The 7500 is a tax credit against what you owe...or your liability. The W-4 doesn't have anything to do with it.

After working for the year, the gov't gives you a bill. That is what you owe. This is based on number of factors...but basically your bill is your bill.

Your W-4 withholding is just a guesstimate to pay-as-you-go...but putting more aside doesn't change what your "bill" was.

fyi--you can get multiple rebates if you buy multiple cars...but then you'd need 15000 as a liability
My bad, azKiaUser I think you are right, as long as one owes $7,500 or more in federal faxes for the year it should be covered.

"How do you receive the credits?
The process is fairly simple. You first have to buy a vehicle that qualifies, of course. Then you fill out form 8936 along with your tax return. It is important to note that the credits are non-refundable tax credits, as opposed to refundable tax credits. That means that the credits can only be applied to the taxes you owe in a given year, and if you received more in credits than you owe in taxes, you will not receive the difference in the form of a check. (With refundable tax credits, you would receive that check). Additionally, since the credits don’t roll over, you can only apply the credits to your taxes for one tax year."

·
Premium Member
EV6 Wind AWD
71 Posts

Right - the federal tax credit is subtracted from your tax liability first. If you owe less than $7500 then it only eliminates what you owe. If you owe more than $7500 then you'll still have a tax liability. Withholding comes into play later in the equation. If after the tax credit your tax liability is $0, then you'd probably get back all of your withholding.

·
Registered
10 Posts
avh beat me to it. It's form 8936. I just checked my tax return. I fill my taxes out through taxslayer and their software walked me through it. Be prepared to wait a while to get your tax return. It took about 3 months after I submitted mine before I got my refund. I think someone actually checks these and it's not just automatic.

·
Registered
'20 Santafe
29 Posts
I am not an accountant, but I've been told by a CPA that more than just line 24 comes into play. As they mentioned to me, if you have paid to the IRS during the year (payroll tax or whatever) and are due a refund the tax credit will not apply. I'm not sure if that's clear. example: if line 24 says your liability is 10K but you have already paid 12K you will not get the tax credit added to the refund.

Like I said I'm not an accountant, so if someone here knows better and can explain, please do.

Fred

·
Registered
221 Posts
My bad, azKiaUser I think you are right, as long as one owes $7,500 or more in federal faxes for the year it should be covered.

"How do you receive the credits?
The process is fairly simple. You first have to buy a vehicle that qualifies, of course. Then you fill out form 8936 along with your tax return. It is important to note that the credits are non-refundable tax credits, as opposed to refundable tax credits. That means that the credits can only be applied to the taxes you owe in a given year, and if you received more in credits than you owe in taxes, you will not receive the difference in the form of a check. (With refundable tax credits, you would receive that check). Additionally, since the credits don’t roll over, you can only apply the credits to your taxes for one tax year."

Love that line... "The process is fairly simple", yet has caused a disturbance on here 🤣

No tax rebate in the UK, that I know of, and if there were, I would want it at point of sale! 👍🎉

·
Registered
2022 Kia EV6 Wind AWD Tech pkg
21 Posts
The words "liability" and "Owe" are the source of enormous confusion because they imply "withholding" and "estimated payments". The reality is really quite simple: Total Tax for the year:

This credit is limited by only your TOTAL TAX for the year. Line 24 on the 1040 shows your total tax. If it is at least $7,500 you will get the whole credit in the form a refund as determined by the rest of your 1040 info. If less, your credit will be reduced. Having determined how much credit you will likely be eligible for you can safely move on to adjusting your withholding to your current desires which is a SEPARATE issue having no effect on the credit itself. Hope this is finally clear, but as long as folks refusing to search for the answer, keep re-asking the same question...

·
Registered
150 Posts
The Tax Credit for the EV is applied first...before any payments you made to the IRS whether through payroll dedication or estimated payments.

Bottom line...If your federal tax liability it $7500 or greater based on your AGI then you will get the whole credit.

If you are unsure consult a tax professional. A few hundred dollars at tax time to make sure you get your maximum tax credit is money well spent.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Or...an analogy

Lets say you're going out to dinner for a birthday. An expensive dinner (fondue is a nice way to spend too much money).

You can save up (i.e. your W4) for that dinner throughout the year, but that doesn't change what the final bill will be.

However, you find a coupon before you go to dinner. The restaurant will apply this coupon to your bill. It doesn't matter how much you've saved; the restaurant doesn't care as far as the coupon is concerned. If the coupon is more than your bill they won't hand you cash.

The $7,500 EV Tax credit is a coupon.

·
Registered
46 Posts
There is not limit on how many cars you can get tax credit for in a year, right?
I believe that is correct...but you need the higher tax "bill" to apply your "coupon" to.

I've been trying to convince my SO to sell her 2017 (for almost what she paid)...and get an EV. Ioniq 5 or ID4...but she's spooked by the market and prefers the paid-for ICE instead.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I believe that is correct...but you need the higher tax "bill" to apply your "coupon" to.

I've been trying to convince my SO to sell her 2017 (for almost what she paid)...and get an EV. Ioniq 5 or ID4...but she's spooked by the market and prefers the paid-for ICE instead.
Spooked by the market in what regard?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts